Speculation: Rangers Cap Space

UlfSamuelsson

Save By Lundqvist!
Apr 28, 2013
New York, NY
I think as a Ranger fan, we will look back at this offseason as a blessing in years to come. The inability for Gorton to trade anyone was just the cup of coffee the front office needed.

Who knows what kind of deals would have went down, or what FAs we would have signed to ridiculous deals had we had cap/assets. Not being able to trade anything at the draft forced managements hand to not go all out on FAs.

Loved this group from 2009-2016 but I think the sun is setting. Next year I doubt we make the playoffs, and I'm okay with that. Can't be in contention every year.

We have some players locked to very friendly deals who will be very tradeable. Nash has MAX two years left. Then we only have G and Staal. I feel G will be better when heathy this year, maybe not good, but better. And I think Staal has some miles left and can be serviceable to another club. Exciting times to be honest. No longer have to cue the terrible mid season overpayment. I'm on board. #LGR

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
In the case that they do not land Shattenkirk for whatever reason I would love to see them go to battle with what they have and save that wiggle space. I think they are still a playoff team in the East and come deadline if they want to make an addition that is their call but unless Shatty is the return you are better off waiting till next off season, hoping for another cap bump and seeing how expansion plays out and hopefully by then you have bigger money to make a bigger move.

** I would love to see Evander Kane come to town if they could swing a deal with Buffalo however
Why would you love to acquire a 40 point, injury prone 5.25 million/yr winger with more off ice issues than any player I can remember?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Why would you love to acquire a 40 point, injury prone 5.25 million/yr winger with more off ice issues than any player I can remember?

Because we'd be sending Marc Staal the other way?

Worst case scenario, we play him for a year, he doesn't work out, and we buy him out next summer. He will only be 25, so he only gets 1/3rd of his remaining salary, meaning his buyouts would be very small (250k and 1 mil).

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015

Because the Thought of a Kane-Zibby-Kreider Line of 6'2, 200+ pound 26 and under savages all at a reasonable price sounds amazing. If you could find a way to have someone babysit him around the city (not an easy task) it would be an electric line. And yes if Staal was going the other way then salary cap issues wouldn't be too affected.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Rangers looked bad in the playoffs. what was more disturbing is the play of King Henrik and his exposure. Without a shot blocking everyone lay down defense, he didn't look good. He may rebound but he carried the team for four years and now it is likely that is over.

liv4socr20

Jul 18, 2009
Rangers looked bad in the playoffs. what was more disturbing is the play of King Henrik and his exposure. Without a shot blocking everyone lay down defense, he didn't look good. He may rebound but he carried the team for four years and now it is likely that is over.

I don't know where to find the advanced stats, but I'm pretty sure that Lundqvist had the highest SV% and the most shots faced against high quality chances this year, as well as letting in the least goals from the point. He is still an elite shot stopper. What really exposed us this year with big regressions from the D was his inability to handle the puck. That mixed with us unable to retain possession out of our zone from our D men was teh reason why we were so exposed. I think a player like Skjei who is able to carry the puck out of our own zone, playing bigger minutes is going to help this team tremendously.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Acquire some depth forwards, maybe score some goals or protect better so Hank could win a cup?

The Rags will likely try and compete the next two years while their players have high salaries like Girardi (6 mil to 4 mil), Hank (9 mil to 7.5), Stepan (8 mil to 6) etc. are kind of untradeable. If by 2018-2019 they cannot win, then expect a full sell-off at the deadline of UFAs (Nash, Klein - whoever else) and then a roster cleansing in the off-season.

For now - let them compete!!!

We literally signed nothing but depth forwards + defensemen this offseason.

And this team wouldn't have traded Brassard if it was competing.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
trade one of them in a package deal for Shattenkirk?haha
nope

Either Kreider or Nash will be going to St. Louis in a multiplayer deal.
Shattenkirk will be the main piece going to NYR.

nope x 2

Acquire some depth forwards, maybe score some goals or protect better so Hank could win a cup?

The Rags will likely try and compete the next two years while their players have high salaries like Girardi (6 mil to 4 mil), Hank (9 mil to 7.5), Stepan (8 mil to 6) etc. are kind of untradeable. If by 2018-2019 they cannot win, then expect a full sell-off at the deadline of UFAs (Nash, Klein - whoever else) and then a roster cleansing in the off-season.

For now - let them compete!!!

They will move vets including most deadwood.
Book it

Both Nash and Klein will be gone before then, one way or another. They both have 2 years remaining on their contracts.

The responsible thing to do is tok k trade them both, rather than hang onto them in a vain attempt to win, and let them walk for nothing.

Lets get real, the New York Rangers had their opportunity to win the Stanley cup in 2012,13,14,15 and missed their chance all four years. The cup window for them has closed.

Honestly, as crazy as it sounds, the best route for the Rangers to take right now would be to sell off all their good pieces to get younger.

If I was Gorton, I would trade:
Nash, Stepan, Zuccarello
McDonagh, Klein
Lundqvist

and look for players only 24 and younger + draft picks in return. retain 50% salary of Nash contract to MAXIMIZE return. I would say retain 50% of nash mcdonagh and Zucc contracts to truly maximize the return, but they need to leave room for the possibility of retaining on the Staal/Girardi contracts if they are ever able to trade them. ( you can only retain salary on 3 contracts at one time)
The return for those 5 guys listed above would be HUGE.

For now, Rangers would roll with:
Buchnevich, Zibanejad, Miller, Kreider, Hayes, Fast, Lindberg, Jooris, Grabner, Glass, Gerbe, Jensen as their 12 forwards (they would get guys in return in the trades though)

Skjei, Girardi, Staal, Mcilrath, Holden, Clendening as their 6 D (they would get guys in return in the trades though)

Raanta, Hellberg as their goalies.

That would EASILY be the absolute worst team in the NHL for the next 2-3 years, so they would collect multiple high draft picks, along with all the young pieces they would get in return for the 5 guys I listed to trade, and then they would be competing for the cup again in 3-5 years, and by that time the Girardi/Staal contracts will either expire, or have less years on them and easy to trade to a team with space.

Obviously its a crazy proposal, but it really makes the most sense. The goal is to win the Stanley Cup. And if they keep trying to compete with what they have, they will never win.

mostly spot on

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Not a contender with Staal and specially Girardi playing top 2 or top 4 minutes. Nash only has two years left on his deal. Stepan is very tradable and has alot of value, not close to untradable. Makes no sense for NYR to trade him unless its in a package for a better center.

With Brassard moved, I'm pretty sure they are going with Step as their #1. Unless they decide to tank in which case he'd already be gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->