Speculation: Rangers Cap Space

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
Being that Kreider + Hayes will total around 7 mill. For thr first time in a while the Rangers will have wiggle room; what do you guys think they will do with the extra cap?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Being that Kreider + Hayes will total around 7 mill. For thr first time in a while the Rangers will have wiggle room; what do you guys think they will do with the extra cap?

trade one of them in a package deal for Shattenkirk?haha

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
In the case that they do not land Shattenkirk for whatever reason I would love to see them go to battle with what they have and save that wiggle space. I think they are still a playoff team in the East and come deadline if they want to make an addition that is their call but unless Shatty is the return you are better off waiting till next off season, hoping for another cap bump and seeing how expansion plays out and hopefully by then you have bigger money to make a bigger move.

** I would love to see Evander Kane come to town if they could swing a deal with Buffalo however

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Acquire some depth forwards, maybe score some goals or protect better so Hank could win a cup?

The Rags will likely try and compete the next two years while their players have high salaries like Girardi (6 mil to 4 mil), Hank (9 mil to 7.5), Stepan (8 mil to 6) etc. are kind of untradeable. If by 2018-2019 they cannot win, then expect a full sell-off at the deadline of UFAs (Nash, Klein - whoever else) and then a roster cleansing in the off-season.

For now - let them compete!!!

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
That space will be needed next season to pay Zibanejad, so the Rangers need to be careful with how they spend that money.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
. If by 2018-2019 they cannot win, then expect a full sell-off at the deadline of UFAs (Nash, Klein - whoever else) and then a roster cleansing in the off-season.

Both Nash and Klein will be gone before then, one way or another. They both have 2 years remaining on their contracts.

The responsible thing to do is to trade them both, rather than hang onto them in a vain attempt to win, and let them walk for nothing.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Lets get real, the New York Rangers had their opportunity to win the Stanley cup in 2012,13,14,15 and missed their chance all four years. The cup window for them has closed.

Honestly, as crazy as it sounds, the best route for the Rangers to take right now would be to sell off all their good pieces to get younger.

If I was Gorton, I would trade:
Nash, Stepan, Zuccarello
McDonagh, Klein
Lundqvist

and look for players only 24 and younger + draft picks in return. retain 50% salary of Nash contract to MAXIMIZE return. I would say retain 50% of nash mcdonagh and Zucc contracts to truly maximize the return, but they need to leave room for the possibility of retaining on the Staal/Girardi contracts if they are ever able to trade them. ( you can only retain salary on 3 contracts at one time)
The return for those 5 guys listed above would be HUGE.

For now, Rangers would roll with:
Buchnevich, Zibanejad, Miller, Kreider, Hayes, Fast, Lindberg, Jooris, Grabner, Glass, Gerbe, Jensen as their 12 forwards (they would get guys in return in the trades though)

Skjei, Girardi, Staal, Mcilrath, Holden, Clendening as their 6 D (they would get guys in return in the trades though)

Raanta, Hellberg as their goalies.

That would EASILY be the absolute worst team in the NHL for the next 2-3 years, so they would collect multiple high draft picks, along with all the young pieces they would get in return for the 5 guys I listed to trade, and then they would be competing for the cup again in 3-5 years, and by that time the Girardi/Staal contracts will either expire, or have less years on them and easy to trade to a team with space.

Obviously its a crazy proposal, but it really makes the most sense. The goal is to win the Stanley Cup. And if they keep trying to compete with what they have, they will never win.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Lets get real, the New York Rangers had their opportunity to win the Stanley cup in 2012,13,14,15 and missed their chance all four years. The cup window for them has closed.

Honestly, as crazy as it sounds, the best route for the Rangers to take right now would be to sell off all their good pieces to get younger.

Nash, Stepan, Zuccarello
McDonagh, Klein
Lundqvist

and look for players only 24 and younger + draft picks in return.
The return for those 5 guys would be HUGE.

Buchnevich, Zibanejad, Miller, Kreider, Hayes, Fast, Lindberg, Jooris, Grabner, Glass, Gerbe, Jensen as their 12 forwards (they would get guys in return in the trades though)

Skjei, Girardi, Staal, Mcilrath, Holden, Clendening as their 6 D (they would get guys in return in the trades though)

That would EASILY be the absolute worst team in the NHL for the next 2-3 years, so they would collect multiple high draft picks, along with all the young pieces they would get in return for the 5 guys I listed to trade, and then they would be competing for the cup again in 3-5 years, and by that time the Girardi/Staal contracts will either expire, or have less years on them and easy to trade to a team with space.

Obviously its a crazy proposal, but it really makes the most sense. The goal is to win the Stanley Cup. And if they keep trying to compete with what they have, they will never win.

I completely agree that their window has closed. I love a lot of NYR's young guys and I would love to see them rebuild too and not trade any of them... the kicker is Lundquist though it seems... if hes up for a rebuild or agrees to be traded, then I would love to see a rebuild. Lundy to Dallas!!!

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
It's obviously time to trade prime assets for an ex superstar whos shown signs of declining earlier in his career. Bobby Ryan seems to fit the bill.:)

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008

Nash, Stepan, Zuccarello
McDonagh, Klein
Lundqvist

and look for players only 24 and younger + draft picks in return. retain 50% salary of Nash contract to MAXIMIZE return. I would say retain 50% of nash mcdonagh and Zucc contracts to truly maximize the return, but they need to leave room for the possibility of retaining on the Staal/Girardi contracts if they are ever able to trade them. ( you can only retain salary on 3 contracts at one time)

Although all of that makes sense its NEW YORK they wont do that.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Although all of that makes sense its NEW YORK they wont do that.

Of course they won't. Which is why in the last like 50 years they have 1 Stanley Cup. They keep trying to plug holes when the holes should just be left open and they should take a couple steps back to take some big steps forward in the future.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Acquire some depth forwards, maybe score some goals or protect better so Hank could win a cup?

The Rags will likely try and compete the next two years while their players have high salaries like Girardi (6 mil to 4 mil), Hank (9 mil to 7.5), Stepan (8 mil to 6) etc. are kind of untradeable. If by 2018-2019 they cannot win, then expect a full sell-off at the deadline of UFAs (Nash, Klein - whoever else) and then a roster cleansing in the off-season.

For now - let them compete!!!

Not a contender with Staal and specially Girardi playing top 2 or top 4 minutes. Nash only has two years left on his deal. Stepan is very tradable and has alot of value, not close to untradable. Makes no sense for NYR to trade him unless its in a package for a better center.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Of course they won't. Which is why in the last like 50 years they have 1 Stanley Cup. They keep trying to plug holes when the holes should just be left open and they should take a couple steps back to take some big steps forward in the future.

Its not that i completely disagree with you but NYR gets way to much **** from guys like you. They have been one of the top teams the last 5 years and was damn close to winning. Its not before maybe last season they tried to win when it wasnt really possible. They got younger with Zibanajad a couple days ago. Definetly understanding they have to get younger and are starting to do it. Not a old core outside of Hank, Klein and Nash. mainly lack that one great prospect who basically is a top line lock or top 2 lock on defense.
Kreider, Miller, Mcdonagh, Stepan, Hayes, Lindberg, Fast, Skjei, Mcilrath etc are all young or pretty young. Zucc is 28 i think. Also have Buchnevich who is a pretty great prospect. Biggest problem along with missing that real high end prospect is the contracts of Staal and Girardi.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Either Kreider or Nash will be going to St. Louis in a multiplayer deal.

Shattenkirk will be the main piece going to NYR.

Nash maybe but moving Kreider just shows how inept the front office has become. Don't get me wrong as a Devs fan I love it, but Kreider is one of the few guys I would build around, despite he's dumb moves at key times. **** has got to consider NYC as his top team, I would not move Kreider for a guy who would likely come in FA. #20 brings some things to the NYRs that you don't often get in a player, speed and size with a scorers touch. If they give that up for PMD, they are further closing their window. They had **** in Yandle and squandered it.
Lundqvist must be losing his mind watching this fall apart for his chances

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

Nash, Stepan, Zuccarello
McDonagh, Klein
Lundqvist

That is almost exactly what I think they should do but only extend the plan over the next couple seasons.

It's not all that crazy, they just made the Brassard trade, at some point, now/soon, this trade deadline, next off-season they can probably get a similar deal for Zucc. Maybe Klein as well. If Nash plays well this season eventually similar value for him too if they retain.

The only thing I differ on, Lundqvist being moved, putting a bunch of younger kids in front of also a younger or not so good goalie probably is not going to do much for their confidence. Doubt even he can change their draft position all that much on his own as he ages, with the new lottery system anyway completely tanking is being phased out.

Plus the timeline makes sense, there is a CBA opt out that can effect the 2020 season. Coming out of whatever happens there with a younger team that also has a good prospect pool makes a lot of sense. The goalie prospects they drafted a couple years back should just about be NHL ready, and that is the last season Lundqvist would be under contract for, the 20/21 season.

If the Rangers have a 5 year plan I'd be pretty excited about it.

Alas, I doubt it, and I can not imagine them following through on any sort of long term plan without deviating at the first sign of success, unless Gorton really is different than Sather and is acting autonomously throughout all of that.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Does anyone have any idea what NYR is actually trying to accomplish this upcoming season? Will they ever trade Henrik and go for a rebuild?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Does anyone have any idea what NYR is actually trying to accomplish this upcoming season? Will they ever trade Henrik and go for a rebuild?

I think the gm and AV hopes Staal and Girardi will play top 4 defensemen and we will compete which is just extremely unrealistic... Sucks that Hank will probably end his career without a cup

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

No one knows what they are up to, no one knows what kind of GM Gorton actually is, or if he was or now is acting autonomously. We have no idea what ownership's mandates actually are, or even if they have any.

Without that kind of information, it's all just guesses.

Group Chat Legend*

If the Rangers are smart they will save the assets and sign Shattenkirk in UFA.

Trading young assets for him only to be bounced out the first round would be silly

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Funny how everyone says NYR's window has closed, and yet most people never thought it was open during the years that people now acknowledge we were "contending." During the 2014 playoff run, we were constantly being counted out round by round. Nobody was picking us to win any of those rounds except for maybe the first. Then after the Cup finals, people said our window was closed without the players we lost in free agency that summer. So we come back and win the Presidents Trophy that season and make it to within one win of returning to the Finals. "No no, NOW the window is closed."

And then in a down year, where the PK was crap, we didn't have Hagelin, Girardi was at his absolute worst, and Nash was injured and underperforming all year...we still managed 100 pts and lost to the eventual Cup champion first round.

Not saying that NYR is some major contender this year, but assuming no more changes, this team could easily surprise people again if the right players perform well. Let's just assume that McDonagh, Stepan, Hank, Nash and Zucc all have typically good years, nothing special, just hit the mark for what would be a "good year" for each player. Then if Zibanejad can either continue his improvement or at least give us what he gave the Sens last year, and Kreider and Hayes can both make the improvements they are expected to (maybe 25 goals from Kreider and 50 pts from Hayes), this team is easily back to being in the elite in the East.

A lot will also depend on how young players in the bottom six step up, as well as young D like Skjei and McIlrath. Look at Pittsburgh - nobody expected much from them, but they wound up getting big seasons out of depth players in addition to Kessel being Kessel and Hagelin adding a spark.

I'm not at all bullish on the 2016-17 Rangers, but any reasonable observer can acknowledge that the potential is there. Put it this way: I wouldn't be shocked if we missed the playoffs by one point, and I wouldn't be shocked if we finished with 100+ pts and made the ECF.

As for our cap space, SAVE IT. Re-sign Kreider to a 5yr/$5m per deal, lock up Hayes too, and hope that Shattenkirk doesn't agree to sign with anyone before next July. All of a sudden, we can sign him, Nash becomes easier to trade with only a year left on his deal, dead weight can be exposed in the expansion draft, and studs like Skjei, McIlrath, and Buchnevich will have one more year of experience under their belts. We're not in a terrible position.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They will make a play for Vesey. If it doesn't work out they won't do anything else unless a trade offer comes in good enough to make them change their mind. Which is fine.

Trading for Shattenkirk would be very dumb. They can probably get him in FA as long as they don't mess up their cap. Also Nash will get a fair deal more easily next summer when he is going to be in the last year of his deal. That's when you might see Girardi and/or Staal buy outs. Maybe some weird stuff with Las Vegas. Who knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad