Post-Game Talk: RANGERS @ canadiens

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I do worry a little bit that the team is so confident they might not feel they have to come out strong. Not that it’s a choice they’re making. But in terms of energy and focus they’re maybe a bit *too* calm? If they make the playoffs, that’s going to have to improve. It’s fine to do that against shitty teams out of the playoff race but the boys will have to come out more buttoned up as we head into March.

Reactions: romba and bl02

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I do worry a little bit that the team is so confident they might not feel they have to come out strong. Not that it’s a choice they’re making. But in terms of energy and focus they’re maybe a bit *too* calm? If they make the playoffs, that’s going to have to improve. It’s fine to do that against shitty teams out of the playoff race but the boys will have to come out more buttoned up as we head into March.

They better be ready to play tomorrow as soon as the puck drops because Philly is tough and have been hot too. I'm a little worried about tomorrow tbh. They have played a lot of hockey lately and most of that on the road. It's a second night of a back to back too. I'll be content with a split with Philly. I'll do back flips with anything more.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
would be nice for them to put together a complete game again, haven't done that since Carolina. All the good feelings can come crashing down tomorrow night. Hope they're up to the challenge.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
oKtD5v0_d.jpg

Reactions: will1066

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
They better be ready to play tomorrow as soon as the puck drops because Philly is tough and have been hot too. I'm a little worried about tomorrow tbh. They have played a lot of hockey lately and most of that on the road. It's a second night of a back to back too. I'll be content with a split with Philly. I'll do back flips with anything more.

Agreed...a split with Philly over the weekend would be about as good as we can realistically hope for as they are a pretty damn good team and they are pretty hot as well. We just need to avoid getting swept...that's the main goal.

What's interesting and this is a testament to how perceptions of us have changed, is that I was reading the Flyers board and they are thinking the same shit we are. They know they are catching us at a bad time as we are hot as hell and they are hoping as well to make sure they don't get swept either.

Been reading some of the Metro division boards besides the Flyers one and the word is out boyz...the Rangers are not a team to take lightly anymore. We are more than just a pain in the ass to have to play against like we were for most of the season.

Now we are actually a threat to most of these teams playoff aspirations as we incredibly have those same aspirations ourselves...who would have thunk it just a month ago let alone before the season...right?. Sometimes I need to pinch myself to make sure that this is really happening and that this rebuild really has gone as well as it has.

It really has tho and we got to give Gorton and his staff a ton of credit as this rebuild he has orchestrated in just two short years to get us to where we are at is nothing short of sensational...:nod:

Reactions: romba

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
You know how you rebuild? Get a 100 point center and a 70 point center, both 26, for free by making some insane rip-off trades. And then when the chance comes to get a super high talent player in UFA like Panarin, you go for it. That takes enough pressure off the Kakkos, Chytils, Shesterkins, Foxs, etc to play them without expecting them to carry the team. It's just a great thing when players like Fox and Shesterkin start showing that they CAN carry the team on any given night.

POs or not, the reason that fans and media haven't crucified the young players is that the on-ice product is entertaining. The whole "multi-season tank and be unwatchable for a couple of years" strategy just kills and embitters the fan base and I'm glad we've avoided it. Last night's game against Montreal just captured this entire sentiment for me.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Apparently NYI had only 17 SOG. So lame.

Yup and I said it earlier tonight, them Islanders have put themselves via shaky goaltending and lack of any real offensive threats, to the position they find themselves in right now which is that they are no sure thing to be invited to the dance come April.

And their worst nightmare that they miss out on the playoffs and the Rangers somehow ending up getting in is not as far fetched as it seemed only two weeks ago. Talk about epic if that scenario actually came to be...oh man that would be beautiful!!

Reactions: egelband

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Yup and I said it earlier tonight, them Islanders have put themselves via shaky goaltending and lack of any real offensive threats, to the position they find themselves in right now which is that they are no sure thing to be invited to the dance come April.

And their worst nightmare that they miss out on the playoffs and the Rangers somehow ending up getting in is not as far fetched as it seemed only two weeks ago. Talk about epic if that scenario actually came to be...oh man that would be beautiful!!
The Islanders are not a good team. They play hard and grind out boring wins and loser points but are a team of third and fourth liners. They also waste roster spots on players like Martin and Johnstone who contribute nothing and their fans are dying to get more third liners like Clutterbuck and Cszikas back in the lineup. Their best dman is 37 year old Andy Greene and Varlamov has been a downgrade from Lehner. They have a ton of loser points from their dull, dull defensive style and that's what they're counting on to make the POs. Yet this is the team that the senile old fool Lamoriello is betting on to win the Cup by trading away their picks. At least some Isles fans have figured out that they're f***ed.

Reactions: Maximus

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Few Observations re: tonight.

1 - With the caveat that the canadiens are not a good team right now, it's really exciting to have not 1 but 2 defensemen who can play fourth forward when the team needs a goal. In the past 2 decades, we've had yandle for a touch, shatty, mdz as a rookie, but none of them compare to what Fox and ADA are now. The last consistent true threat from the backline was Schneider and before that Leetch and Zubov. It's just a whole other element to have 1 defenseman with vision, skill and agility. It opens up the ice vertically and creates cross-ice passing lanes that I haven't seen open up in decades. It's exciting.

2 - Someone needs to sit Trouba/Smith down and tell them they are not allowed to play like the other two pairs. When they are rushing the puck and jumping into the rush a lot it's just reckless. They don't possess the agility nor the judgment to play that way. They need to simplify and STAY HOME. Especially against teams coming up.

3 - Buch needs to get back in. And CK needs to get over his illness if we're going to win the next few games.

4 - Lastly, one of the most encouraging things about the team lately, they're getting goals from screen shots and deflections. The flashy pass work and highlight reel goals come and go, but teams that can score from screens/deflections/rebounds are the ones that find a way to score consistently.

5 - Lindgren is a heck of a skater. The pairing w/ Fox thrives for a whole bunch of reasons, but a big weapon is their ability to get back to the right spots in a hurry.

6 - Lastly, Strome must stop taking slappers on odd man rushes. The minute it goes wide, it rims around and turns into an odd man rush the other way. I'd much rather he just hit the goalie's crest in that situation and force a face off.

Last edited:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Didn't Howden block like 3 shots on one shift? I want to like Kakko's game, but I feel has so much more to give. Looks slow out there. He could be breaking up more plays and creating more if he was just a bit quicker. Staal has been very steady since he's been back from his foot injury.
Howden was really good in this game.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Well boys, are you ready?

We beat PHI, COL beats CAR and CBJ loses in regulation to MIN, we will grab the 8th spot tomorrow. A day earlier than I thought. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->