Post-Game Talk: Rangers/Canadiens 2/23/2013

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Lots of disturbing things came out of this game. .... 4) It's not that they lost the game, they seem to always lose in Montreal, it's the way they lost.

1) Obviously the lack of offense.
Brevity restricts for now to I agree.

2) Obviously the injuries.
Ditto.

3) There just seems to be a lack of urgency, especially with the younger, unestablished players.
Mostly disagree. There is some lax mostly across the board, but the youngsters are trying not to foul up, or get in trouble, which is the CONTINUED STUPIDITY OF TORTS!

What exactly does Mashinter bring to this team? He's not a good enough skater to forechecking and too slow to take the body. And somebody, either Mashinter or Bickel, has to get into a fight after Biron is run and if they felt the Pacciorety hit was dirty). And I'm not a big fight guy but show some pride.
Mashinter didn't cost and you get what you pay for.
Bickel could be the 4th line LW for the moment.

Miller and Kreider seem too comfortable in their places in the lineup.
Disagree. They are trying, but are tentative about screw up and rant from Torts, who again has to go.

The one guy who seems to be really trying to keep his spot and compete is Gilroy (and I can't believe I'm saying that).
Agree he's trying and earning his keep.

Evolved83

Dec 12, 2008
Lots of disturbing things came out of this game.

3) There just seems to be a lack of urgency, especially with the younger, unestablished players.

What exactly does Mashinter bring to this team? He's not a good enough skater to forechecking and too slow to take the body. And somebody, either Mashinter or Bickel, has to get into a fight after Biron is run and if they felt the Pacciorety hit was dirty). And I'm not a big fight guy but show some pride.

The one guy who seems to be really trying to keep his spot and compete is Gilroy (and I can't believe I'm saying that).

4) It's not that they lost the game, they seem to always lose in Montreal, it's the way they lost.

It seems that the coaches are holding the team back for whatever reason. Whether it is retaliating for a bad hit, doing something other than dumping and chasing, or just allowing for more creativity (Ex: Powerplay), they just look scared to do anything. The question is why?

Also getting really sick and tired of the "gut instinct" decisions torts makes... It is getting old.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
This franchise is cursed. Don't want to believe in it? Fine, those are your beliefs. At first I didn't like giving up this year's 1st in the draft in the Nash trade, now I absolutely hate that it's gone. Even if this team makes the playoffs, it's looking like a 14-20 overall pick where we could've gotten a very solid prospect.

All that said, we're going to see what this team is made of in the next week. All three games this week are against teams that we should beat, even with all of the injuries. Get at least four points in three games and we're still in decent shape.

I wasn't able to watch last night's game (mercifully), but from what I hear, this team needs to find a backbone and fast. How does a blatant hit from behind go unanswered? One on a budding superstar defenseman at that? I'm not sure to be angry at Pacioretty for being such a dumbass, or more embarrassed to be a fan of a team that let's him walk away without a scratch after the fact. Disgusting.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Whether it is retaliating for a bad hit, doing something other than dumping and chasing, or just allowing for more creativity (Ex: Powerplay), they just look scared to do anything. The question is why?

Also getting really sick and tired of the "gut instinct" decisions torts makes... It is getting old.

Dumping and chasing is the system. That is on the coach. Not retaliating is on the players.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Thanks for saying this. I can't stand the holier-than-thou posters who can't see through this teams horrendous play so far this season. It's not october, next week is March.

Some people feel better about their fandom by remaining positive no matter how dire and awful things become. That's just a part of differing perspectives of the board.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
just shows you what pieces of crap their fans are...........Goalie gets hurt and they mock him..........oh man I hope they brawl the Habs next game

Then on the bench Therien lauighing..........they are going to get a beating

Uhm... there was a joke on the bench. Nothing to do with Biron (who is local to Montreal, btw).

Relax. Its just a hockey game between international athletes.

The majority of Hab fans like the Rangers... and love your amazing city.

The thing is that your team is like a case study of the dangers of overpaying slipping aging vets like Richards and Gaborik... and possibly Nash

Anyway, good luck.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Uhm... there was a joke on the bench. Nothing to do with Biron (who is local to Montreal, btw).

The majority of Hab fans like the Rangers... and your amazing city.

The thing is that your team s like a case study of the dangers of overpaying slipping vets like Richards and Gaborik.

Anyway, good luck.

Gaborik? Rofl. When was the last time a Canadien player had two 40 goal seasons in three years?

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012

The majority of Hab fans like the Rangers... and your amazing city.

The thing is that your team is like a case study of the dangers of overpaying slipping aging vets like Richards and Gaborik... and possibly Nash

Anyway, good luck.

Totally

:shakehead

Heyoooo*

:facepalm:

Sather doesnt get it right with FAs 90% of the time, but with Gaborik, he did.

I remember a lot were bashing the deal saying hes a coach killer, injury prone, etc. and yet here we are, nearly 4 seasons later and all ive seen are 40+ goal seasons and a guy who has done everything asked of him even if his style of play is the exact opposite of the system.

Heyoooo*

The majority of Hab fans like the Rangers... and love your amazing city.

Anyway, good luck.

Based on what?

and you added Nash now too? :laugh:

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Because you are original six.

Its a sentimental thing.

... regarding Nash, giving up a 1st can be risky.

Anyway... don't want to overstay on here...

So you're saying you wouldn't have done the Nash trade? If the Rangers could go back in time, they'd do that trade again. You wouldn't have done that trade, but throwing in McDonagh is the Gomez trade wasn't bad?

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
So you're saying you wouldn't have done the Nash trade? If the Rangers could go back in time, they'd do that trade again. You wouldn't have done that trade, but throwing in McDonagh is the Gomez trade wasn't bad?

That was terrible. :laugh:

Ain't the fans that did that one.

Good for Sather for pulling it off.

Evolved83

Dec 12, 2008
Lots of disturbing things came out of this game.

4) It's not that they lost the game, they seem to always lose in Montreal, it's the way they lost.

Dumping and chasing is the system. That is on the coach. Not retaliating is on the players.

This is true, but that system was more suitable for last season. We have more "offense" potential this season and I think if they loosen the leash a little, it may go a long way.

Maaxse

Aug 23, 2011
Montreal
We have an easy week coming in. Winnipeg, Tampa and Buffalo are going to be wins with a good amount of GF. If we bag in 5 out of 6*, the team is going to feel safer.

*I believe we will do this at worst.

Championship*

We have an easy week coming in. Winnipeg, Tampa and Buffalo are going to be wins with a good amount of GF. If we bag in 5 out of 6*, the team is going to feel safer.

*I believe we will do this at worst.

wow talk about a jinx

Jan 8, 2012
NY
We thought that Ottawa would be easy. Look how that turned out. No such thing as an easy game, especially with this team.

Maaxse

Aug 23, 2011
Montreal
Home games with good resting time between against teams that have hard time defending is maybe not easy but it is certainly easier than say, our first 2 weeks.

And I didn't think Ottawa would be easy.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
It's not the losses. It's the way they're losing.

This. A thousand times this. I've never been as down on this team as I am right now. It's like when they get behind the game is over.

There's no effort, not a care in the world. They can't pass, can't shoot, they look absolutely lost in both zones. I feel bad for the goalies.

Heyoooo*

We thought that Ottawa would be easy. Look how that turned out. No such thing as an easy game, especially with this team.

Which is why I dont care who Gaborik scores against, whether its the Islanders, Toronto or Boston.

This team cant be picky about its wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad