Confirmed with Link: Rangers Buy Out Contract of Henrik Lundqvist

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
These days I have less disdain for their team. Just disdain for their fans. Like when they beat up that off duty cop at the winter classic. Shit like that does not surprise me.
I mean, like what have they done to the Rangers lately that Olli Jokinen didn't?
I think we've only played them once in the playoffs in the last 20 years and we beat them.
I hear you. Wouldnt it be great to rekindle that PO rivalry again? Lots of history, and Rangers fans in general would LOVE to hate on their team and especially their fans (like you said), oh yeah and definitely vice versa. Lol.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Also, easy to say now.....at the time I was like....Jokinen, really?
Pretty sure they used Cally and Christensen prior. Would have preferred Drury or even Gabby. I know he didnt like to do that, but putting it into the hands of proven goalscorers (not slighting Olli)......just my preference, but not my call obviously.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Yeah, I figured it would be Vegas, but I guess he wants to stay East.
Dont see why he wouldnt want to do Vegas. I mean, he is right there and can get a gig with his band. In between "starts" and around being a Daddy. Maybe he doesnt want his girls growing up and wanting to be "dancers" ;)

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Guess the 95% retirement didn't pan out, Kovy. ;)

https://nypost.com/2020/10/07/henrik-lundqvist-to-sign-with-washington-capitals-report/

You just know he's starting against us and will be playing like it's 2012.[/QUOTE]
Guess all that effort in his practice drills will have a chance to payoff. Who should know Rangers shots/tendencies better than Hank? Subtract Ovie from players that have burned him the most over the years. Has to face Zbad again. Not since his Ottawa days. That 1st game will remind me very much of Eddie's return to the Garden. Shut us out, yet couldnt have been happier for him. Not this time though.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Are we still considering Washington among the elite teams in the east?
I dunno, it depends on how you see it. I see them as paper dragons.

I mean they have some amazing players and one of the GOATS in Ovie. Despite this they've only been passed the 2 nd round once, lol.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
0.1% chance of happening, but imagine if the Rangers win the cup next year.

Yay but oof (especially if they go through the Caps while doing it).

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I'm going to be laughing my ass off tomorrow if Lundqvist signs with the Caps. "Done". He's going to sign with a competitive/contending team in the most saturated goalie market in the history of the sport. Obviously, NHL GM's feel a little differently than some on these boards.

The only thing Lundqvist is "done" with is the Rangers. I wish him luck.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I'm going to be laughing my ass off tomorrow if Lundqvist signs with the Caps. "Done". He's going to sign with a competitive/contending team in the most saturated goalie market in the history of the sport. Obviously, NHL GM's feel a little differently than some on these boards. The only thing Lundqvist is "done" with is the Rangers. I wish him luck.

reading this again and again, trying to understand your point...
NYR never said he was 'done.'
NYR made hard decision regarding Cap and roster.
Buyouts in today's NHL are not an insult in anyway, they are just part of the business model the NHLPA embraced.
Its always been the case that sports contracts reward what was already done, way more than they are for what will be contributed.
Hank earned the contract. Was a great Ranger.
It just happened that the right time for NYR to move on happened with a year left on his deal...

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
reading this again and again, trying to understand your point...
NYR never said he was 'done.'
NYR made hard decision regarding Cap and roster.
Buyouts in today's NHL are not an insult in anyway, they are just part of the business model the NHLPA embraced.
Its always been the case that sports contracts reward what was already done, way more than they are for what will be contributed.
Hank earned the contract. Was a great Ranger.
It just happened that the right time for NYR to move on happened with a year left on his deal...

I didn't say the NYR said he was "done"
People HERE said he was done. I said he'd make a great backup elsewhere.

Not bitter at all - matter of fact, the Rangers did him a solid by buying him out thereby giving him the opportunity to keep pursuing a Cup and his career. It was mutual, fair, and handled about as well as it could've been.

I would've let him play it out here and trade Georgiev, but I'm not the least bit bitter about this. I wish him well and I, obviously, wish the NYR well too.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I didn't say the NYR said he was "done" People HERE said he was done. I said he'd make a great backup elsewhere.
Not bitter at all - matter of fact, the Rangers did him a solid by buying him out thereby giving him the opportunity to keep pursuing a Cup and his career. It was mutual, fair, and handled about as well as it could've been.
I would've let him play it out here and trade Georgiev, but I'm not the least bit bitter about this. I wish him well and I, obviously, wish the NYR well too.

gotcha
i don't pay attention to folks getting negative her at HFB.
it's an odd psychological thing, anonymous folks at keyboards can't help turning into judge and jury, labeling players as 'done' or 'bust' or 'garbage'

it will be odd to see Hank in another sweater, i was kinda hoping he would just retire from NHL and go play w Joel in Frolunda for a while

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want

giphy.gif

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
0.1% chance of happening, but imagine if the Rangers win the cup next year.

Yay but oof (especially if they go through the Caps while doing it).

Happened to Callahan and Girardi this year with the Bolts. They basically went to the playoffs every season of their careers, and then their team wins the Cup right after they retire.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad