Post-Game Talk: RANGERS @ blackhawks

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by Kakko, Feb 19, 2020.

?

3 Stars of the Game

1. Panarin

12.8%
  2. Strome

7.4%
  3. Fast

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Kreider

84.5%
  5. Zibanejad

42.6%
  6. Buchnevich

39.2%
  7. Di Giuseppe

0.7%
  8. Chytil

24.3%
  9. Kakko

3.4%
  10. Lemieux

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Howden

0.7%
  12. Gauthier

3.4%
  13. Skjei

0.7%
  14. Trouba

2.0%
  15. Lindgren

1.4%
  16. Fox

4.7%
  17. Staal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. DeAngelo

4.7%
  19. Shesterkin

50.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romba Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    where's the puke emoji when you need it

NYRangers0723 likes this.
  2. will1066 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Shit, people, we won. Shit.

3. romba Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    For sure. We just need to get value. A late first won't make an impact until 3 or 4 years from now most likely, and then will probably take another year or two to develop at the NHL level. That's really towards the end of what we anticipate to be our window if all goes well. JG is really in a tough situation with this.

4. NYRangers0723 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    F:ck it lets keep winning and get that last playoff spot. LGR!!!

5. CaptTennille President of the Blair Betts Fan Club

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    This might be the most embarrassing take I’ve ever seen on this board and I’ve seen people suggest Boo Nieves could fill the #1C void......

6. KirkAlbuquerque ZiBAEnejad

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Zib credited with an assist on Buch’s goal? NHL Twitter saying he had 4 points last night.

7. wafflepadsave Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Don’t about everyone else but buchnevich seems to be more involved as each game passes. I saw a lot more engagement on both sides of the puck last night.
    Gauthier looks good with his brief bursts of speed. He got a few shifts with Chytl in the 3rd for rewards. Staal not so much.

belford22, NYROrtsFan and Off Sides like this.
  8. romba Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Yaa I caught that too and swallowed my anger and told myself he's a rookie in his first game with a new team and he's clearly willing and able to puck on net. But damn, if only he peeked around....

KirkAlbuquerque likes this.
  9. TominNC Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I hope not. I'm driving up to Raleigh for the game. Really hope to see Igor

romba likes this.
  10. romba Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    You are right. This is Serious Business

11. Anthony5967 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    That was Chytil who blew the coverage. Chytil was covering Staal. Staal was on the man in front of the net.

12. romba Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    That's a good thing! He's realized he has to be MUCH pickier when to dance to the middle. He was a turn over machine doing that too often early on. An offseason of strength and skating improvement will lead to a big difference in his ability and willingness to cut to the middle more.

13. TheDirtyH Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Long write up here: what an incredible experience. Most fun I've had at a Ranger's game except, maybe, for one game against Dallas when Rick Nash scored the winner, falling on his ass, in the middle of a 10-game goal streak back in 13-14. I managed to upgrade my seat very cheaply at the last minute bc the Blackhawks suck and nobody wants to see them, so I was in the bottom section, ten rows up from the vistor's net from the start. By the time it was 4-2 people were emptying out, so we moved down to the glass and watched the last 10 mins or so from right against the glass in the corner. Unreal.

Watching that close really gives a different angle on the team. I rewatched the tv broadcast this morning, and what stands out to me is that, when the score was right there on screen the whole time, the game felt a lot closer than it did live. From the puck drop, basically, it felt like we dominated. The second period was more even, tilting slightly to the Hawks, but a lot of that was killing penalties. It was just obvious how outclassed the Hawks were: the Hawks fans were QUIET, frustrated, barely cheering, mainly because it was just so clear that we were gonna win.

On the game: Chytil for my money was the best player on the ice from minute 1 to 60. He was a force, so fast, disruptive on the forecheck, maddeningly (for the home team) honest on the backcheck, and a bull along the wall. That goal was a bullet shot. Kakko looks like he's reaching a new level of comfort in the league and he and Chytil have a really strong chemistry building. Kakko reads off Chytil very well. Up close, it was also clear that he's got a better understanding of how plays develop in this league. He had his head up, looking around at all times, wasn't bow-legged and surprised by anything. That chip pass to Chytil on the goal was a perfect example where he knew to anticipate the double team, with the pinch at the red line, and he just pushes the puck to a softer area where he trusts his teammates to do the work from there. He's got a sweet set of hands though, that's obvious.

Nobody had a really bad game, I thought. Staal struggles with the puck, but he's predictable. Howden, I thought, had a good game all said and done. He had some bad luck with the refs, but he looked engaged, made some good relief plays up the ice and on the cycle, and had a good chance on the breakaway. Gauthier seemed to get on the ice like five times, but every time he made something happen. I threw a vote to Trouba and to Lindgren. Trouba is a really good player. He's reads the ice very well, he's strong and the Hawks struggled to get through him all night. He needs a better partner though, because Brady is just too wobbly. His head is down at the ice all game, and he's a pretty unpredictable player. Lindgren is impossible not to love once you see him up close.

One last note: A lot of writing here, but as someone who's never seen an NHL game from closer than the 400s at MSG, this was an incredible time. We're a really talented team, that's clear. Shesterkin, though, is very real. That glove save he made in the second on a deflected shot was absolutely nuts. The camera doesn't do it justice. Nobody in the building could believe he caught that. I heard at least three people around me just say, wow, that's not even fair. At the end of the game, when Henke came out ot congratulate Shesterkin, I waved and pointed to the nameplate on my jersey (#30), and he threw me a half wave with a slight smile. It was a nice gesture, but he looks broken. Very sad to see.

[​IMG]
    (Me in the Heritage jersey above the G. What a night!)

14. GoAwayStaal 20 Foot Player Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Ayatollah of Pylons
    Chytil was back checking and picked up Toews, who is his responsibilty.

Cmox likes this.
  15. romba Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Penalties or not, we were hemmed in the zone practically the whole second period with Chicago skating circles around us. We'd struggle to break the red line and rinse and repeat. Glad you had a blast!

16. will1066 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    You're probably right. When his physical tools and confidence catch up, he will be taking those lanes. His line was on that nice extended cycle last night when a lane opened up inside the left circle to Lehner's doorstep on the right. Next year, he will take that lane.

romba likes this.
  17. NYR94 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
  18. Larrybiv Rangers fan forever!

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Man, 5his poor kid is getting destroyed EVERY game. One way or the other. Pucks, bodies, sticks you name it, he has been a target for a bruising and in general ......pain. Only the refs haven't hurt him.
    Man, have so much respect for this kid. He is a KEEPER and will be here a long, long time. Trouba will be gone before him. Had we only KNOWN this kid would be like this......Trouba would never have been here and saved all those dineros.
    Btw, Trouba and Staal just doesn't work. Too slow and Grandma could get by them.

19. romba Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Need to see them meeting CK himself in street clothes and they're like who the ef are you creeper

20. Anthony5967 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Bruins 33
    Lightning 32
    Avs 31
    Caps 28
    Rangers 27

That's RW for the year. Cats and Oilers also tied with NYR. I know people rag on Quinn, but, come on, he has this team in a heck of a spot. They've come a long way. Still believe he's the guy. No coach will ever make the right call on every decision. We're human.

JCProdigy and TominNC like this.
  21. Mike in Houston Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    [QUOTE="wafflepadsave, post: 170555867, member: 121277"]Don’t about everyone else but buchnevich seems to be more involved as each game passes. I saw a lot more engagement on both sides of the puck last night.
    Gauthier looks good with his brief bursts of speed. He got a few shifts with Chytl in the 3rd for rewards. Staal not so much.[/QUOTE]

That's because Buchie knows his Chris will be traded soon.

wafflepadsave likes this.
  22. KappoTheGoat "Kaapo 3x gold Kakko"

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I'm just happy that Kakko is progressing somewhat.

23. NYRangers0723 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    He is. I think a lot of people are impatient. He was 18 years old playing mostly on the third line with other kids. He obviously wasn’t gonna dominate right away. I love the way he is able to maintain possession. Obviously as he grows he will start to score much more because he has that skill.

24. Levitate Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Considering his career assist numbers I'm going to take a wild guess he's more likely to always be the guy who just tries to take the puck to the net/shoot it

25. NYRangers0723 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    We still have a shot at the playoffs. If we win against Carolina it’s got make things even tougher. They already said that they aren’t just gonna punt the season if they are close

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.