Post-Game Talk: RANGERS @ blackhawks

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Gorton has been good at cutting bait on our core guys at the right time before we were stuck with them or had to commit long term.

Callahan, Stepan, Brassard, Zucc. McDonagh, Miller, Hayes, etc.

Kreider will most likely be handled the same way.. I really dont want to be the team that gives him something similar to what Lee got last summer, maybe looking at slightly more.

That's a prime candidate to be a serious regret by year 2-3
For sure. We just need to get value. A late first won't make an impact until 3 or 4 years from now most likely, and then will probably take another year or two to develop at the NHL level. That's really towards the end of what we anticipate to be our window if all goes well. JG is really in a tough situation with this.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Don’t about everyone else but buchnevich seems to be more involved as each game passes. I saw a lot more engagement on both sides of the puck last night.
Gauthier looks good with his brief bursts of speed. He got a few shifts with Chytl in the 3rd for rewards. Staal not so much.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Also, the tunnel-vision thing was there. He had Kakko wide open for a tap in on his last shift. And instead took a bad angle shot. But can I really complain if someone's willing to shoot? No.
Yaa I caught that too and swallowed my anger and told myself he's a rookie in his first game with a new team and he's clearly willing and able to puck on net. But damn, if only he peeked around....

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Staal was worse, that goal was on him as much as it was on Trouba.

The 1st goal happened because he allowed the rush to back him into basically no mans land leaving Kubalik wide open for the 1T. Thats his guy.

Staal had a team high xGA of 1.3. Thats absurd for a single game. I don't think anyone else on the D was even above .8.
That was Chytil who blew the coverage. Chytil was covering Staal. Staal was on the man in front of the net.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
One thing I've been noticing about Kakko is he's still hesitant to take the lane to the inside
That's a good thing! He's realized he has to be MUCH pickier when to dance to the middle. He was a turn over machine doing that too often early on. An offseason of strength and skating improvement will lead to a big difference in his ability and willingness to cut to the middle more.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Long write up here: what an incredible experience. Most fun I've had at a Ranger's game except, maybe, for one game against Dallas when Rick Nash scored the winner, falling on his ass, in the middle of a 10-game goal streak back in 13-14. I managed to upgrade my seat very cheaply at the last minute bc the Blackhawks suck and nobody wants to see them, so I was in the bottom section, ten rows up from the vistor's net from the start. By the time it was 4-2 people were emptying out, so we moved down to the glass and watched the last 10 mins or so from right against the glass in the corner. Unreal.

Watching that close really gives a different angle on the team. I rewatched the tv broadcast this morning, and what stands out to me is that, when the score was right there on screen the whole time, the game felt a lot closer than it did live. From the puck drop, basically, it felt like we dominated. The second period was more even, tilting slightly to the Hawks, but a lot of that was killing penalties. It was just obvious how outclassed the Hawks were: the Hawks fans were QUIET, frustrated, barely cheering, mainly because it was just so clear that we were gonna win.

On the game: Chytil for my money was the best player on the ice from minute 1 to 60. He was a force, so fast, disruptive on the forecheck, maddeningly (for the home team) honest on the backcheck, and a bull along the wall. That goal was a bullet shot. Kakko looks like he's reaching a new level of comfort in the league and he and Chytil have a really strong chemistry building. Kakko reads off Chytil very well. Up close, it was also clear that he's got a better understanding of how plays develop in this league. He had his head up, looking around at all times, wasn't bow-legged and surprised by anything. That chip pass to Chytil on the goal was a perfect example where he knew to anticipate the double team, with the pinch at the red line, and he just pushes the puck to a softer area where he trusts his teammates to do the work from there. He's got a sweet set of hands though, that's obvious.

Nobody had a really bad game, I thought. Staal struggles with the puck, but he's predictable. Howden, I thought, had a good game all said and done. He had some bad luck with the refs, but he looked engaged, made some good relief plays up the ice and on the cycle, and had a good chance on the breakaway. Gauthier seemed to get on the ice like five times, but every time he made something happen. I threw a vote to Trouba and to Lindgren. Trouba is a really good player. He's reads the ice very well, he's strong and the Hawks struggled to get through him all night. He needs a better partner though, because Brady is just too wobbly. His head is down at the ice all game, and he's a pretty unpredictable player. Lindgren is impossible not to love once you see him up close.

One last note: A lot of writing here, but as someone who's never seen an NHL game from closer than the 400s at MSG, this was an incredible time. We're a really talented team, that's clear. Shesterkin, though, is very real. That glove save he made in the second on a deflected shot was absolutely nuts. The camera doesn't do it justice. Nobody in the building could believe he caught that. I heard at least three people around me just say, wow, that's not even fair. At the end of the game, when Henke came out ot congratulate Shesterkin, I waved and pointed to the nameplate on my jersey (#30), and he threw me a half wave with a slight smile. It was a nice gesture, but he looks broken. Very sad to see.

WgPQuR6.jpg

(Me in the Heritage jersey above the G. What a night!)

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The second period was more even, tilting slightly to the Hawks, but a lot of that was killing penalties.
Penalties or not, we were hemmed in the zone practically the whole second period with Chicago skating circles around us. We'd struggle to break the red line and rinse and repeat. Glad you had a blast!

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
That's a good thing! He's realized he has to be MUCH pickier when to dance to the middle. He was a turn over machine doing that too often early on. An offseason of strength and skating improvement will lead to a big difference in his ability and willingness to cut to the middle more.

You're probably right. When his physical tools and confidence catch up, he will be taking those lanes. His line was on that nice extended cycle last night when a lane opened up inside the left circle to Lehner's doorstep on the right. Next year, he will take that lane.

Reactions: romba

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
How will Lindgren die next game?
Man, 5his poor kid is getting destroyed EVERY game. One way or the other. Pucks, bodies, sticks you name it, he has been a target for a bruising and in general ......pain. Only the refs haven't hurt him.
Man, have so much respect for this kid. He is a KEEPER and will be here a long, long time. Trouba will be gone before him. Had we only KNOWN this kid would be like this......Trouba would never have been here and saved all those dineros.
Btw, Trouba and Staal just doesn't work. Too slow and Grandma could get by them.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Bruins 33
Lightning 32
Avs 31
Caps 28
Rangers 27

That's RW for the year. Cats and Oilers also tied with NYR. I know people rag on Quinn, but, come on, he has this team in a heck of a spot. They've come a long way. Still believe he's the guy. No coach will ever make the right call on every decision. We're human.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
[QUOTE="wafflepadsave, post: 170555867, member: 121277"]Don’t about everyone else but buchnevich seems to be more involved as each game passes. I saw a lot more engagement on both sides of the puck last night.
Gauthier looks good with his brief bursts of speed. He got a few shifts with Chytl in the 3rd for rewards. Staal not so much.[/QUOTE]

That's because Buchie knows his Chris will be traded soon.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I'm just happy that Kakko is progressing somewhat.
He is. I think a lot of people are impatient. He was 18 years old playing mostly on the third line with other kids. He obviously wasn’t gonna dominate right away. I love the way he is able to maintain possession. Obviously as he grows he will start to score much more because he has that skill.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yaa I caught that too and swallowed my anger and told myself he's a rookie in his first game with a new team and he's clearly willing and able to puck on net. But damn, if only he peeked around....

Considering his career assist numbers I'm going to take a wild guess he's more likely to always be the guy who just tries to take the puck to the net/shoot it

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
We still have a shot at the playoffs. If we win against Carolina it’s got make things even tougher. They already said that they aren’t just gonna punt the season if they are close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad