3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Too funny. Nedved really was soft as ice cream as a player. Yeah he had some skills but man, he was a very hard player to root for.

BTW...the year in the early 90's I thought the Rangers had three 30 goal scorers...Gartner, Amonte and Messier I was wrong.

They actually had 5. I did a hockey DB search and besides those 3 guys, Darren Turcotte and Sergei Nemchinnov surprisingly also scored 30 goals as well. Leetch had 102 points as well incredibly.

That was that damn good Presidents Cup winning team of ours in the 91-92 season when those of us who were around at the time like moi had Cup thoughts dancing thru our heads until the I think it was Vanbeisbrook gave up that horse shit center ice shot from Ron Francis which turned the tide in that series vs the Penguins who ultimately ended up winning the Cup that year.

Slightly off topic but talk about deflating losses to this day that one is waaaay up there for me as one of the most devastating losses I ever experienced as a Ranger fan.

It was Richter that let in the center ice howler :(:(:(

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Just looking at Di Giuseppe's 9 games so far at 5 on 5:

From 2/3-2/20

53.4% CF (3rd highest among forwards)
63.84% xGF% (2nd highest among forwards)
922 PDO (3rd lowest among forwards)

Only been 9 games, but he probably deserves better than no goals and two assists, but nice to see the Rangers are controlling the puck when he's out there.
He has been a revelation. I think he deserves to be on the team next year. And as such, I wouldn’t send him down to Hartford for the playoffs. Let the man spend the summer as part of the parent club. It’s not like he has anything to work on in the AHL.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
quick reax:

1 - Gauthier. Good debut in limited minutes. You can see how his size and speed will create space for his line mates. Needs to be better about staying on the right side of the puck. That one shift with him, kakko and chytil was dynamic offensively but not great D-wise. Also, the tunnel-vision thing was there. He had Kakko wide open for a tap in on his last shift. And instead took a bad angle shot. But can I really complain if someone's willing to shoot? No.

2 - Kreider. He makes Buch and Zib look great. He creates so much space as well. Need to keep him if they're not blown away by the package. I don't get trading him for a #30 pick, a bottom 6 prospect, NHL 3-4th liner. Makes no sense.

3 - If Kreider stays this team makes the playoffs. They are better than half the league at this point. They just are. Look at the standings and find me more than a few teams we legit have trouble with -- Caps, Bruins, Blues, maybe Pens and...? Arguably have one of the 5 best goalies in the league in Shesty. Who is legit better than him after Tukka and Vasy?
Rinne? Binnington? Bob? Murray? Merzlekins? Rittich? He's in that convo.

4 - Team D was baaaaad. Pond hockey. Panarin should have sat out a shift after he didn't get the puck in deep at the very end of a shift, instead went 1-on-4. And he was far from the one guilty of that tonight. And it seems like every time a players fails to get it in deep or get the puck out of his own zone, it almost always leads to one of his teammates getting a welt from having to block a shot. As an example, on that one play where Shesty took the stick in the eye, at that same moment Zibby got hurt blocking a shot. All because we didn't get the puck deep seconds earlier. Tonight was a step back team concept-wise.

5. Lindgren -- he's got that issue Sauer, McDonagh and Hajek have/had -- he puts himself in vulnerable positions and gets himself nicked up all over the place. I get it, he's a warrior. And I love he's on our team. But he's going to have a short career if he's not more careful.
Gauthier could learn a lot from CK, not for nothing. I mean that as part of the Keep Chris argument :)

Reactions: belford22 and jas

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Too funny. Nedved really was soft as ice cream as a player. Yeah he had some skills but man, he was a very hard player to root for.

BTW...the year in the early 90's I thought the Rangers had three 30 goal scorers...Gartner, Amonte and Messier I was wrong.

They actually had 5. I did a hockey DB search and besides those 3 guys, Darren Turcotte and Sergei Nemchinnov surprisingly also scored 30 goals as well. Leetch had 102 points as well incredibly.

That was that damn good Presidents Cup winning team of ours in the 91-92 season when those of us who were around at the time like moi had Cup thoughts dancing thru our heads until the I think it was Vanbeisbrook gave up that horse shit center ice shot from Ron Francis which turned the tide in that series vs the Penguins who ultimately ended up winning the Cup that year.

Slightly off topic but talk about deflating losses to this day that one is waaaay up there for me as one of the most devastating losses I ever experienced as a Ranger fan.
I think that center ice lollipop goal was on Richter. Heartbreaker.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Kreider took a wicked cruncher before making that pass to Buchnevich where Buchnevich scored. Beast.

I know his results are not consistent (I think his effort is) but he’s really evolved into a terrific player. I hope he is willing to take a five year deal.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Great question....wasn't there a year in the early '90's when Gartner, Amonte and Messier did it? I'm thinking Ratelle, Gilbert and Hatfield must have done it in that magical 1971 season when they went to the Cup final and lost to the Bruins.

I haven't googled it and just throwing it out there. But your right, it's a very rare feat for any Ranger team as having multiple 30 goal scorers on our team is very rare.

1991-2, and I believe Turcotte and Sarge also had 30 that year, possibly even Graves.

Reactions: Maximus

rangerlp

May 24, 2012
Quoting DQ in the second period "We didn't play honest hockey". For two periods they didn't. If they want to make a playoff run, they will need 60 minutes of that stuff...

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Parents have no business in the locker room pregame. I didn't find the Strome lineup reading to be cute. There's a time and place, and that's not it.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Its fun to watch this team when they combine effort with their talent. Might need to wait another year for a playoff run, but it is coming.
The one thing that is going to hurt this team is Trouba and that bloated contract. There are times when he looks like a scrub. He isn't fast, makes some really bad reads and thinks its always a good time to shoot the puck. I don't like him as a #1, because he isn't one. Gotta hope one one of the kids can move up and displace him.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The power move Gauthier made down the left side to beat two Hawks and get in on Lehner was impressive.

One thing I've been noticing about Kakko is he's still hesitant to take the lane to the inside. His cycle game is night and day though compared to a few months ago.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Just looking at Di Giuseppe's 9 games so far at 5 on 5:

From 2/3-2/20

53.4% CF (3rd highest among forwards)
63.84% xGF% (2nd highest among forwards)
922 PDO (3rd lowest among forwards)

Only been 9 games, but he probably deserves better than no goals and two assists, but nice to see the Rangers are controlling the puck when he's out there.
It's crazy because I was just going through my THN Future Watch 2016 the other day and he was ranked 4 or 5 for Hurricanes prospects. He's honestly not a bad player. He forechecks hard every shift and always seems to have the puck. I know Fast isn't putting up points but he has played a major part in Strome and Panarin's ability to work magic in the o-zone.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
The power move Gauthier made down the left side to beat two Hawks and get in on Lehner was impressive.

One thing I've been noticing about Kakko is he's still hesitant to take the lane to the inside. His cycle game is night and day though compared to a few months ago.

Now he needs to take the next step and pass the puck and move to open space to receive it back. He over stick handles

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Now he needs to take the next step and pass the puck and move to open space to receive it back. He over stick handles

He's learning. He was very individualistic, thinking he can dominate by himself. He's playing a much better team game now, using his linemates.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It's crazy because I was just going through my THN Future Watch 2016 the other day and he was ranked 4 or 5 for Hurricanes prospects. He's honestly not a bad player. He forechecks hard every shift and always seems to have the puck. I know Fast isn't putting up points but he has played a major part in Strome and Panarin's ability to work magic in the o-zone.

Makes you wonder why he was down in HFD all this time?

The coaching staff is learning to stop running trash out there just because they feel like they want to though.

With the exception of #18, who btw was sooooooooooo f***ing bad last night.

Reactions: will1066

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Makes you wonder why he was down in HFD all this time?

The coaching staff is learning to stop running trash out there just because they feel like they want to though.

With the exception of #18, who btw was sooooooooooo f*cking bad last night.
I thought that was one of Staal's better games, to be brutally honest. Trouba was the worst defender on the ice. The second Kubalik goal was a disgrace. I'd expect that from a Staal.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I thought that was one of Staal's better games, to be brutally honest. Trouba was the worst defender on the ice. The second Kubalik goal was a disgrace. I'd expect that from a Staal.

Staal was worse, that goal was on him as much as it was on Trouba.

The 1st goal happened because he allowed the rush to back him into basically no mans land leaving Kubalik wide open for the 1T. Thats his guy.

Staal had a team high xGA of 1.3. Thats absurd for a single game. I don't think anyone else on the D was even above .8.

Reactions: romba
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad