3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Kreider also nosedived after the trade deadline last season, at least as far as goal scoring goes. Think he had like 9 goals in the 2nd half. Zucc leaving hurt us all. Also Zucc started picking up his game around new years up until he was traded.

He got hurt around that time and likely played when he shouldn’t have.

Reactions: belford22

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Couple of blown coverages by F's in Zibanejad and Chytil allowed them to score two. Other than that it was a solid defensive showing by their six on the back end, except Trouba continues to disappoint me. The second Kubalik goal was an embarrassment from a guy making $11M this year (I know his hit is $8M). The offense is going to be dangerous, we're seeing it now. We have so many guys on the backend that can make plays and are fast. Fox, Tony, (Trouba WHEN he cleans it up), Nils, Miller, Robertson, Jones, etc. And your goalie has a chance to be the top goalie in the league within a couple of years. Oh, and the best part is my Isles buddy says their defense is set up to be better for the next 5-10 years. Scored five times as many goals in the third period than they have in their last 11. I look forward to the next decade, boys!!!

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Get anyone with a pulse away from Howden, and they will have a good shot to succeed with whoever they are playing with.
Still think Howden lacks the skating to succeed in the NHL, or at least take the next step, which I thought would be a poor man's Stepan. I see him moved down the road. I'd rather have McKegg's motor centering Lemieux and Gauthier. PS--the power move down the wing while using his acceleration in the third to draw the penalty had me drooling. Yea, I'd say Gorton and co. knew what they were doing with that deal. Thank you Ron Francis!

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Even when he isn’t scoring he does so many other things. He had become a much more complete player too. Nobody is saying he is Ovechkin either lol

yeah kreider was playing well this year even when he wasn't scoring, people just pick their narratives they want to present.

watching Staal is painful...Rangers desperately need an upgrade on that left side, he gave up multiple opportunities because of how slow he is now and that second kubalek goal was also on staal for not identifying the play unfolding and supporting his partner better and also getting roasted because of his lack of speed.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
yeah kreider was playing well this year even when he wasn't scoring, people just pick their narratives they want to present.

watching Staal is painful...Rangers desperately need an upgrade on that left side, he gave up multiple opportunities because of how slow he is now and that second kubalek goal was also on staal for not identifying the play unfolding and supporting his partner better and also getting roasted because of his lack of speed.

I hear ya about Kreider being still effective even when he's not scoring. But let's be honest for the first 6 weeks of the season he played like crap and it really looked like he was oddly mailing it in as he knew this was it for him as a Ranger.

Than around mid November the light bulb went off or something like that and maybe he realized he better get his shit together if he wanted to get the kind of contract he felt he deserved and since than, he's never played better since he's been here.

Sure he's had spurts here and there over his career but this Kreider of the past 3 months has been as good as any power forward in the NHL and that's something none of us could have said about him ever!

And that's what makes this decision about what to do with him so vexing not only for Gorton but for most of us in here as it's pretty much split down the middle about what to do with him.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
He got hurt around that time and likely played when he shouldn’t have.
Exactly. I love when some people say he “took games off”. He played hurt the last 25 games or so and that’s why he was t as effective otherwise he would have had 35 goals at least. The year before that he had a blood clot and came back sooner than anybody expected because he is obviously “Lazy” lol

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I hear ya about Kreider being still effective even when he's not scoring. But let's be honest for the first 6 weeks of the season he played like crap and it really looked like he was oddly mailing it in as he knew this was it for him as a Ranger.

Than around mid November the light bulb went off or something like that and maybe he realized he better get his shit together if he wanted to get the kind of contract he felt he deserved and since than, he's never played better since he's been here.

Sure he's had spurts here and there over his career but this Kreider of the past 3 months has been as good as any power forward in the NHL and that's something none of us could have said about him ever!

And that's what makes this decision about what to do with him so vexing not only for Gorton but for most of us in here as it's pretty much split down the middle about what to do with him.
to be fair he was thrown together with Strome who he never played with before and a 18 year old rookie. So it’s not surprising that they didn’t click although maybe they would have eventually. Also he was very snakebites early in the year. There were like 5 straight games where he hit the posts. Look I’m. Not saying he didn’t have struggles but every player goes through it. Kreider is never gonna be a superstar but that’s ok. He is a damn good top 6 player who had skills that are not easy to find

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Lemieux’s mom is smoking hot lmao

Didnt see Howden’s mom

Forget Brendan's mom and go look up his sister. Of course Claude had to name her Claudia...

Related to the game. It was fun on Zbad's goal to see how strong all three Rangers' forwards were on the puck.

Kreider probably won't be with the Rangers if/when he scores his 30th. If he were to be and Zbad hits that mark too as it looks like he will, that would mean three Rangers would have scored 30+ goals in the same season. When was the last time that happened?

Reactions: egelband

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Just looking at Di Giuseppe's 9 games so far at 5 on 5:

From 2/3-2/20

53.4% CF (3rd highest among forwards)
63.84% xGF% (2nd highest among forwards)
922 PDO (3rd lowest among forwards)

Only been 9 games, but he probably deserves better than no goals and two assists, but nice to see the Rangers are controlling the puck when he's out there.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Forget Brendan's mom and go look up his sister. Of course Claude had to name her Claudia...

Related to the game. It was fun on Zbad's goal to see how strong all three Rangers' forwards were on the puck.

Kreider probably won't be with the Rangers if/when he scores his 30th. If he were to be and Zbad hits that mark too as it looks like he will, that would mean three Rangers would have scored 30+ goals in the same season. When was the last time that happened?

Great question....wasn't there a year in the early '90's when Gartner, Amonte and Messier did it? I'm thinking Ratelle, Gilbert and Hatfield must have done it in that magical 1971 season when they went to the Cup final and lost to the Bruins.

I haven't googled it and just throwing it out there. But your right, it's a very rare feat for any Ranger team as having multiple 30 goal scorers on our team is very rare.

Reactions: egelband

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Just looking at Di Giuseppe's 9 games so far at 5 on 5:

From 2/3-2/20

53.4% CF (3rd highest among forwards)
63.84% xGF% (2nd highest among forwards)
922 PDO (3rd lowest among forwards)

Only been 9 games, but he probably deserves better than no goals and two assists, but nice to see the Rangers are controlling the puck when he's out there.

he's been solid. way better than I ever expected (and thought he deserved an assist on the chytil goal).

not sure anyone is penciling him into the long term plans just yet, but his play with chytil & kakko combined with our likely cap crunch next year, I think he is playing himself into a 2 year contract and a bottom 6 role for next year (we'll need guys that are cheap). then best case scenario he continues to get better and adds to our depth, worst case scenario he helps us get thru next years cap crunch and serves as 1 of the 2 forwards we need to expose

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
quick reax:

1 - Gauthier. Good debut in limited minutes. You can see how his size and speed will create space for his line mates. Needs to be better about staying on the right side of the puck. That one shift with him, kakko and chytil was dynamic offensively but not great D-wise. Also, the tunnel-vision thing was there. He had Kakko wide open for a tap in on his last shift. And instead took a bad angle shot. But can I really complain if someone's willing to shoot? No.

2 - Kreider. He makes Buch and Zib look great. He creates so much space as well. Need to keep him if they're not blown away by the package. I don't get trading him for a #30 pick, a bottom 6 prospect, NHL 3-4th liner. Makes no sense.

3 - If Kreider stays this team makes the playoffs. They are better than half the league at this point. They just are. Look at the standings and find me more than a few teams we legit have trouble with -- Caps, Bruins, Blues, maybe Pens and...? Arguably have one of the 5 best goalies in the league in Shesty. Who is legit better than him after Tukka and Vasy?
Rinne? Binnington? Bob? Murray? Merzlekins? Rittich? He's in that convo.

4 - Team D was baaaaad. Pond hockey. Panarin should have sat out a shift after he didn't get the puck in deep at the very end of a shift, instead went 1-on-4. And he was far from the one guilty of that tonight. And it seems like every time a players fails to get it in deep or get the puck out of his own zone, it almost always leads to one of his teammates getting a welt from having to block a shot. As an example, on that one play where Shesty took the stick in the eye, at that same moment Zibby got hurt blocking a shot. All because we didn't get the puck deep seconds earlier. Tonight was a step back team concept-wise.

5. Lindgren -- he's got that issue Sauer, McDonagh and Hajek have/had -- he puts himself in vulnerable positions and gets himself nicked up all over the place. I get it, he's a warrior. And I love he's on our team. But he's going to have a short career if he's not more careful.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Great question....wasn't there a year in the early '90's when Gartner, Amonte and Messier did it? I'm thinking Ratelle, Gilbert and Hatfield must have done it in that magical 1971 season when they went to the Cup final and lost to the Bruins.

I haven't googled it and just throwing it out there. But your right, it's a very rare feat for any Ranger team as having multiple 30 goal scorers on our team is very rare.
@JCProdigy

We came very close in 06'-07' season

upload_2020-2-19_23-32-44.png

But the answer is 00'-01' season

upload_2020-2-19_23-33-44.png

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Wow I forgot Fleury actually had a good a year for us back than.

And was Petr Nedved not the softest player you ever saw? I don't think I ever saw him throw a hit his whole career.

Nice research there Allucks
I remember my parents used to call him deadved because when he wasn't scoring he looked like a lifeless corpse out there just coasting around on skates lol

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I remember my parents used to call him deadved because when he wasn't scoring he looked like a lifeless corpse out there just coasting around on skates lol

Too funny. Nedved really was soft as ice cream as a player. Yeah he had some skills but man, he was a very hard player to root for.

BTW...the year in the early 90's I thought the Rangers had three 30 goal scorers...Gartner, Amonte and Messier I was wrong.

They actually had 5. I did a hockey DB search and besides those 3 guys, Darren Turcotte and Sergei Nemchinnov surprisingly also scored 30 goals as well. Leetch had 102 points as well incredibly.

That was that damn good Presidents Cup winning team of ours in the 91-92 season when those of us who were around at the time like moi had Cup thoughts dancing thru our heads until the I think it was Vanbeisbrook gave up that horse shit center ice shot from Ron Francis which turned the tide in that series vs the Penguins who ultimately ended up winning the Cup that year.

Slightly off topic but talk about deflating losses to this day that one is waaaay up there for me as one of the most devastating losses I ever experienced as a Ranger fan.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Quick interruption...Islanders lost again!!

We are 6 points behind them

OK back to your regular scheduled broadcast...lol

We are going to the dance, aren't we?

Also, forgot to post our spirit animal in honour of the 2 pts. Enjoy!
41kIqAUMjlL._AC_.jpg

Reactions: Maximus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad