News Article: Rangers Beat Writer Rick Carpinello Let Go

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Mods, if this needs to be moved or changed let me know. I think it's very important to us as he was one of the official reporters and did a wonderful job.

http://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers-report/2016/10/25/journal-news-cuts-jobs/92739346/

http://nypost.com/2016/10/25/sports-writers-feel-the-wrath-of-gannett-cuts/

He was with the team since the 1978-79 season. His stories were amazing whether it was having Pierre Larouche bum cigarettes off him, Espo flipping out after the Penguins series in 1989, Muckler being a jerk, etc.

He's written a few books but should write more. These are the kind of stories that should be passed on for generations.

He was also a great guy who always interacted with the fans, let many (including myself) guest blog with very encouraging and enthusiastic words, and had the weekly live chats.

He also thought the game very well having played ice hockey in his youth and could analyze a play and explain what went right/wrong.

He will be missed and us at HFBoards are definitely in a worse place not having him covering the beat.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Sucks. I didn't always agree with Carp and found his mocking of analytics to be kind of a turn off but I did enjoy his game recaps and opinions on the game. Overall, he was one of the better writers on the beat. Definitely better than Zipay and Leonard who both offered absolutely nothing. Brooks I like for his sources but don't really care for his analysis. Hartnett I find to be good and I enjoyed Gross' coverage as well when he was on the Rangers. Cyrgalis is whatever to me and I haven't read enough of Tasch to give an opinion.

End of the day, the Rangers beat is down a person which is never good for fans looking to get info.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Huge bummer. I loved reading Carp. Wish I could say the same about the other beat guys.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Down two beat writers this year...with Gross being switched to the Devils, all his followers were told "here go follow Carpinello" and now this.

Apparently just not much money in "print" media these days!

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
It sounds like they'll have someone covering the Rangers based on the wording of the release. They said they wouldn't be replacing the Yankees writer as I presume they'll just pick up the coverage from the Record.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
But yeah, huge turnover in people covering the team. Carp let go, Gross moved to the Devils, Leonard promoted to covering the Giants, and Cerny let go from his job with the team.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
He was the best. Loved the way he interacted. What a shame for us, we can only hope he lands on his feet, which he should.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
So a quality, dedicated writer who has covered the team for almost 40 years gets the axe? Can't be because of performance.

Has to be the bottom line, bring in someone who won't command as much of a salary.

Sucks, he was sometimes prickly on twitter to some followers but he was knowledgeable and wrote good post/pregame coverage of the team. A true beat writer.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Feel bad for him (though i'm sure he will find another job quickly) but we need some new life with these beat writers so I'm excited to see who replaces him. Carps articles did nothing for me anyway.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
This is awful 40 years hope he catches on somewhere quick

How does Leonard get promoted he's awful. And Brett cyrgalis is unreadable one of the worst in the business

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
This is a shame. No other words necessary.

Unfortunately, very reflective of the industry. There's an awful lot if good people out of work these days. It's everywhere, Canada, Sports Illustrated and newspapers throughout the country.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I wouldn't classify Leonard as getting promoted. He just changed beats. Yes, NFL is a larger league than the NFL, but the Giants beat is actually much less travel and with games once a week, much easier for someone like Leonard who has a young family.

Carp's game recaps were awesome. And he wasn't doing just print. For those like me who grew up with him, he had a column very similar to Slap Shots every Sunday in the 90s-early 2000s.

Some of you may not have liked him, but he was easily in the top 3 with Brooks and Gross. Now only Brooks remains and he doesn't even do full-time. So we as fans suffer.

I hope he writes books. He's released three, two on Messier and one on the transition from Smith to Sather which was an awful time but well written.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I wouldn't classify Leonard as getting promoted. He just changed beats. Yes, NFL is a larger league than the NFL, but the Giants beat is actually much less travel and with games once a week, much easier for someone like Leonard who has a young family.

Carp's game recaps were awesome. And he wasn't doing just print. For those like me who grew up with him, he had a column very similar to Slap Shots every Sunday in the 90s-early 2000s.

Some of you may not have liked him, but he was easily in the top 3 with Brooks and Gross. Now only Brooks remains and he doesn't even do full-time. So we as fans suffer.

I hope he writes books. He's released three, two on Messier and one on the transition from Smith to Sather which was an awful time but well written.

Sean Hartnett is the best Rangers beat writer. He works for CBS.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Carp is very talented and I hope he lands on his feet. He had good stories to tell, for sure. He never broke news and I didn't care for the condescension he showed towards commenters on occasion. Hopefully his replacement is decent.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Every beat writer should fold in Seinfeld references.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
His post game reviews were must read for me. Even if I didn't agree with what he had to say, it was a knowledgeable opinion and made me thing about things that happen within a game in a different way. Kinda like our PGTs without the hyperbole of 4 people saying Player X was horrible/sucked and the next 4 posts praising the same player...

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Really sucks but unfortunately it is a trend within the print media industry. Fewer and fewer people read the paper each passing day and not many pay for an online subscription. With Adblocker and everything else, it is hard for these companies to generate revenue.

What I find to be really crappy is that they could't keep him on in some capacity to let him get to 40 years. You don't someone at a job for that length of time anymore.

Hopefully he finds something.

Ardi44

Jan 31, 2011
and for all the Yankee fans, Chad Jennings got whacked too. Chad and Carp were the only ones i read. Upsetting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad