Rangers Are Statistically a "Bad" Team

Dec 13, 2010
agree with you on every point you made except zuccarello being the 4th or 5th best forward on the islanders? REALLY? you honestly think that? lol. would be at WORST their 3rd best, realistically 2nd.

Reactions: haveandare

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I know this forum is obsessed with trading away good rosters for futures but where does this idea of NYR being old come from?

Buchnevich - 22
Zibanejad - 24
Skjei - 23
Kreider - 26
Vesey - 24
Miller - 24
Hayes - 25

Even their older players; McDonagh’s 28, Shattenkirk is 29, Zucc & Grabner are 30. Their core is young and should not be declining, I think there are issues with AV’s defensive system & a lack of motivation/being too comfortable with having the same coach so long. But they have good players, and their prospect pipeline is pretty good for a team that’s managed to stay very competitive ever since the lockout.

Igor Shestyorkin
Filip Chytil
Lias Andersson
Anthony DeAngelo
Neal Pionk
Sean Day
Ryan Graves

I don’t think they should be rebuilding at all, if anything I’d like a coaching change and maybe a Brassard/Zibanejad-esque trade that is lateral short term yet makes them younger

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
agree with you on every point you made except zuccarello being the 4th or 5th best forward on the islanders? REALLY? you honestly think that? lol. would be at WORST their 3rd best, realistically 2nd.

So realistically he is better than mat Barzal? Lol....

He's also not as good as Bailey, eberle, or lee.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014

If you think Bailey’s current pace isn’t a result of a ridiculously high shooting percentage and a ridiculous PDO, you’re ignorant. Dude’s a 50 point player who is managing a ridiculously lucky season at the age of 28.

Lee same situation, 22% shooting percentage lmao.

Eberle at least has a history of putting up some points.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Aside from Kreider who is a low-end LW1 and Zibanejad who is a borderline 1C, they have a lot of good forwards, but not great ones. There isn't a player on that team who makes you nervous when they have the puck. Look at the guys others teams in the division have: Hall, Tavares, Barzal, Voracek, Giroux, Ovie, Backstrom, Kuz, Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Panarin. The Rangers have no one near those tiers. McDonagh has fallen off the last few years, Shattenkirk is obviously elite offensively, but not a complete player by any means and Lundqvist has been inconsistent recently, but great this year. Just a whole lot of meh on that team.

Reactions: Off Sides

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
When they're on top they play like four 2nd lines and overwhelm with depth.
When they're not like they are right now it's four 3rd-lines, just waves of nothing, completely impotent.

Skjei and Shattenkirk have some offensive capabilities but without possession in the offensive zone it just highlights their defensive drawbacks.

Grabner is the only joker that scores independently of how the team is playing with 19 goals and 4 assists.
Rest of players are team players, and the teams sucks right now.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

Bailey is not a better player than Zucc. Maybe this year sure he's doing great. Before this season he wasn't and he's not close to the 2 way player Zucc is. I doubt Bailey would be on pace for 60+ points like Zucc is had they switched spots.
Anders Lee, also not better right now.
Eberle doesn't touch Zucc

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Aside from Kreider who is a low-end LW1 and Zibanejad who is a borderline 1C, they have a lot of good forwards, but not great ones. There isn't a player on that team who makes you nervous when they have the puck. Look at the guys others teams in the division have: Hall, Tavares, Barzal, Voracek, Giroux, Ovie, Backstrom, Kuz, Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Panarin. The Rangers have no one near those tiers. McDonagh has fallen off the last few years, Shattenkirk is obviously elite offensively, but not a complete player by any means and Lundqvist has been inconsistent recently, but great this year. Just a whole lot of meh on that team.
Buch could be one and we have Chytil and Andersson coming up. Chytil is an offensively gifted forward who's creative so we're hoping him and Buch can be a nice combo that makes teams scared. Agreed though we need an elite guy on this team. I think Buch and Chytil could end up as 60 point guys but I'm not sure I see them hitting around 70 consistently which is what we need.

NASTY

Jul 29, 2016
The coach needs to go but its not entirely his fault he doesn't have much to work with but makes terrible line combos.
If this team makes the playoffs it will be because of Hank and Pavs
They don't have any elite players besides Hank and you cant rely on your goalie to win you every game
There is too many 3rd and 4th liners on this team the only 1st and 2nd line players are Kreider, Zibanejad, Zucc and maybe Buchnevich.
A 3rd liner is their leading goal scorer
They have no finishers
The D is awful

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
So glad they never won anything when they had the chance, back to the basement t they go

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Realistically, he wouldn't be their 2nd best. He's not better than Barzal or JT, lets be real. You can argue overall talent compared to the rest of roster and fit him in where ever, but he's 2nd best.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Buch could be one and we have Chytil and Andersson coming up. Chytil is an offensively gifted forward who's creative so we're hoping him and Buch can be a nice combo that makes teams scared. Agreed though we need an elite guy on this team. I think Buch and Chytil could end up as 60 point guys but I'm not sure I see them hitting around 70 consistently which is what we need.

When Buch can take a flick on the back without losing the puck, maybe he'll turn into one.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
When Buch can take a flick on the back without losing the puck, maybe he'll turn into one.
Buch is the most skilled player on this team though. He was producing at a 60+ point pace when playing with Zib and Kreider. His two way game is much improved and statistics back it up. He'll get stronger soon enough, still not a good reason to keep f***ing around with him

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
no it emphasizes how statistical categories aren't as important as the eye-test
Or it emphasizes the fact that hockey results are heavily affected by transient factors. The Caps are 2nd in the league in PDO (save and shooting percentage), and it's high enough that we can expect it to regress toward the mean at some point.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Ah, understood.

I want so bad to believe in advanced stats but the last few seasons they have been defied by quite a few teams come playoff time.
As with everything statistical, it's trends and sample sizes. By nature, every statistical trend will have multiple exceptions to it; but over the long term, with a large enough sample size, advanced stats correlate strongly to winning percentage, including winning the cup. The biggest issue with them is people on both sides treat them as gospel: Some people who support them talk as though they can predict outcomes over short periods of time, or there will be huge corrections over the course of days or weeks; similarly, people who don't support them will claim that, because they can't predict outcomes 100% of the time, they're worthless. On both ends there's a pretty bad misunderstanding of statistics and how they actually work.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007

What makes Zuccarello better than Tavares, Lee, Barzal or Bailey?
Barzal will have a better rookie season than any Zucc season. He isn't close to Tavares. Lee is a 30+ goal scorer. Bailey will beat Zucc in points this season. And they had comparable seasons last year.

It's not an outlandish claim at all.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Ah, understood.

I want so bad to believe in advanced stats but the last few seasons they have been defied by quite a few teams come playoff time.

Very strange thing to see. "Analytics" (which really is just more information, nothing revolutionary) aren't magic pixie dust. You can believe or not, but that doesn't mean the relationships people have found aren't true. There will always be teams that "defy" the analytics because we operate in a world of probabilities, not absolutes.

Teams that control the balance of shots and chances are more likely have a better goal differential, and thus win. However, if you're shooters are running hot or your goalie is stopping everything, then obviously you can "overcome" this. Is it a sustainable way to win though? I'd like to think not. Counting on your goalie to be a world beater, or everyone to have career goal-scoring seasons isn't a reliable way to go about it.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What makes Zuccarello better than Tavares, Lee, Barzal or Bailey?
Barzal will have a better rookie season than any Zucc season. He isn't close to Tavares. Lee is a 30+ goal scorer. Bailey will beat Zucc in points this season. And they had comparable seasons last year.

It's not an outlandish claim at all.

Zucc is a better player than Bailey and Lee. Lee will definitely be the better scorer, but Zucc is a better overall player. That doesn't mean he's more valuable, though. And I don't think anybody really considers Bailey a top player. Zucc is nowhere close to being better than Tavares or Barzal.

Last edited:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
If you believe in curses, sure.

I believe they just haven't been to defend effectively for Ovechkin's entire tenure.

Ovechkin, like Bure, simply just doesn't make other players around him better. Guys like Crosby and Malkin win because a major strength to their game is to make other players around them better. Ovechkin's game doesn't do that.

Crosby has made careers for Dupuis, Sheary, Rust, etc. Even Andy Hilbert had a very small stretch playing with him in which he scored almost a point per game. Ovechkin has become so one dimensional over the years. He used to be a guy that would score 50/50/100. Then after 2010 the goals dropped for 2 years and after that, the assists dropped off the deep end completely.

As good of a player as he is, he's also part of the problem. He tries to do too much come playoff time. If he wasn't worried about hitting everything that moves, maybe he'd be more effective in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad