News Article: Rangers announce team awards

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Howden: (Dejectedly tosses a pebble into the lake) "I didn't win anything, dad."

Quinn: "Don't get down on yourself, son. It's my fault. I should have given you more ice time."

Howden: "Next year?"

Quinn: (Smiles warmly) "Yeah, son. We'll get 'em next year"

Howden: (Beaming) "Thanks dad!"

Quinn: "Son?"

Howden: "Yes dad?"

Quinn: "You're the MVP of good guys. And you'll always be my player's player."

~Fin~

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Smith has come a really long way from coming to camp fat and getting demoted to being a guy a lot of us would like to have back, and a guy who was a leader on the team. Good on him for figuring it out and turning it around. For a lot of guys, that could have been a moment that started a downward career spiral.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Howden: (Dejectedly tosses a pebble into the lake) "I didn't win anything, dad."

Quinn: "Don't get down on yourself, son. It's my fault. I should have given you more ice time."

~Fin~
tenor.gif

Reactions: Kaapo di tutti capi

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I don’t hate Smith, seems like a good locker room guy.

But I find it really difficult to give a guy props for playing as a borderline third-pairing defenseman when he gets paid $4.5 million a year. Especially when this gap between play and contract is entirely his own doing.

He plugged a hole on a sinking ship, rather than turning the ship around if you will.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

But I find it really difficult to give a guy props for playing as a borderline third-pairing defenseman when he gets paid $4.5 million a year. Especially when this gap between play and contract is entirely his own doing.

He plugged a hole on a sinking ship, rather than turning the ship around if you will.
I can overlook the being overpaid aspect of his situation because, after that initial ugliness when he signed the deal, the effort was pretty much always there. He had no problem flipping between forward and defense, was always one of the toughest guys on the team, and was always willing to stick up for his guys. He was really well-liked and a leader. If he was overpaid and mailed it in, that would be different; it looked like that's what he was going to do initially, but he seemed to acknowledge his bad behavior and address it. There were a ton of people at the time who said Smith wasn't worth what we paid him or even close to it (I wasn't one of them, LOL) and clearly they were right. That's no on Smith, though, but the team.

He evidently brought enough to the table in the eyes of the organization that we didn't buy him out or trade him, which we had no problem doing with other guys. We have a problem with handing out lots of bad contracts, but are also pretty proactive in getting rid of them (for better or worse). I guess Smith did a good enough job salvaging the situation that the team decided he was worth keeping.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yeah, Smith deserved the award. He's not talented enough for the contract they paid him but he always worked hard and was a good teammate. And it sounds like he had the respect of his teammates despite his limited abilities, which counts for something in team sports.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

You have problems with someone winning a Good Guy award?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Also FWIW, that Good Guy award is just an award voted on by the local media for the player who best cooperates with the media during the season. So it has zero to do with his on-ice contributions, zero to do with his play vs. expectations, zero to do with anything hockey-related, really. He evidently just makes himself available to the media and is pleasant and open in his interactions, or something.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
People have a weird hate for Smith. Always did.

Like, yeah, he's kinda bad but so is every 4th liner and most 3rd pairing D.

He isn't AWFUL like Howden or Hajek and he hasn't done anything to warrant off-ice heat like others who shall remain nameless.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008

~Fin~

I really enjoyed that lol.

Reactions: Kaapo di tutti capi

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
You have problems with someone winning a Good Guy award?

It was in response to the post above mine, not the award. I specifically said he seems like a good locker room guy.

You seem perpetually very unhappy man. I feel like you need a snicker’s bar or something!

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

~Fin~
I have a screenplay due for a class in the next 24 hours I might just consider using this

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It was in response to the post above mine, not the award. I specifically said he seems like a good locker room guy.

You seem perpetually very unhappy man. I feel like you need a snicker’s bar or something!

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm happy enough away from here, but sometimes the endless droning against some players and all head coaches gets on my nerves, especially those that don't understand cause and effect.

Reactions: ColonialsHockey10

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021

~Fin~

hahaha.... this made me LOL.

also Howden wins the most useless award in my opinion. He literally brought nothing. And don’t say PK! Our PK was literally better without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad