Confirmed with Link: Rangers agree to terms with Patrick Khodorenko

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
If he turns into a bottom 6 center who can play a shutdown role, PK and pot 10 goals/25-30pts that's a massive win to me.
Could end up being a guy that gets moved for a third round pick. In which case, it’s a free third round pick. Also a barometer on how much pull the Rangers have. And possibly a reflection on the lack of depth/perceived opportunity in the Rangers system.

Reactions: eco's bones

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Could end up being a guy that gets moved for a third round pick. In which case, it’s a free third round pick. Also a barometer on how much pull the Rangers have. And possibly a reflection on the lack of depth/perceived opportunity in the Rangers system.

Rangers have unearthed a few gems over the years... if he becomes an NHL regular then home run. If not, some depth for Hartford or maybe He gets moved at some point for a better asset. I get not being “excited,” but I can’t believe a few guys are actually criticizing this.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

"You never know what's gonna happen. If I get injured again, I have my degree to fall back on"

I like his mindset. He broke his leg when he was with the US NTDP, and it put things into perspective for this kid. Looks like a smart player.

Stoked about this, thought he should've been drafted way long ago!!

We talked about this kid years ago. We were both shocked he went undrafted at the time.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Agreed. Finding young forwards that can take away time and space and punish opposition is invaluable in today's NHL.

I was at the Kings/Wild game this weekend. Sat about 15 rows from the ice. Normally I sit much further away. The thing that stands out from a closer vantage point is just how much of the game is a bit too fast or too clogged to make legit hockey plays.

So much of the game is about chipping the puck to areas where there should be a teammate waiting. It's not actually about having the time and space to make a skilled read. The game is just too fast and the bodies are too big.

This is, in part, why rookies have such a hard time adjusting to the NHL game. They literally have to learn how to take creativity out of their games. And that's because teams have a mixture of elite talent combined with other players who rely on speed, size and reach. And there's just very little room.

From close up it feels like most of the guys in the NHL look like they're playing a video game that's a level too hard for them. And what makes STL and Boston so strong is that are all 4 lines can limit time and space. Everyone talks about the NHL game being exhausting from a physical standpoint and it is, but it's also the speed of the game and how that takes a mental toll as well.

So, in any case, this is why adding players like Gauthier, Barron and Khodorenko are so valuable. The more kids like this you have in your system and on your team, the more each piece becomes more valuable because as a collective they begin to have an accumulative effect on opposition.

Great post!

I definitely agree with you. I do think however that there are a few player types that can buy themselves time in this environment. But its the Karson Kuhlman type. 5'10, great skaters, great at turning away from pressure. And it also illustrates Minny and LAKs struggles, because they aren't built for that style. Really big teams.

But looking at like Howden, looking at Vesey. These guys aren't "dumb". Its the game that is extremely fast. And especially for forwards. Its hard for them.

Ken Lund

Feb 23, 2019
As far as taking a roster spot goes, we only signed him to an ATO, so it's a Hartford roster spot. And we're at 46 contracts, so we have some wiggle room anyway.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Marc staal is where offense goes to die. You can literally see the higher end offensive guys actively avoid passing staal the puck unless no other options are there.

Actually Staal has two options if he wants to put up points---1) pass the puck to Panarin 2) pass the puck to Zibanejad. If he does that enough he could possibly have a 20 point season.

Marc also scored our first goal of the season on a wraparound of all things--so he briefly led the team in scoring.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Agreed. Finding young forwards that can take away time and space and punish opposition is invaluable in today's NHL.

I was at the Kings/Wild game this weekend. Sat about 15 rows from the ice. Normally I sit much further away. The thing that stands out from a closer vantage point is just how much of the game is a bit too fast or too clogged to make legit hockey plays.

So much of the game is about chipping the puck to areas where there should be a teammate waiting. It's not actually about having the time and space to make a skilled read. The game is just too fast and the bodies are too big.

This is, in part, why rookies have such a hard time adjusting to the NHL game. They literally have to learn how to take creativity out of their games. And that's because teams have a mixture of elite talent combined with other players who rely on speed, size and reach. And there's just very little room.

From close up it feels like most of the guys in the NHL look like they're playing a video game that's a level too hard for them. And what makes STL and Boston so strong is that are all 4 lines can limit time and space. Everyone talks about the NHL game being exhausting from a physical standpoint and it is, but it's also the speed of the game and how that takes a mental toll as well.

So, in any case, this is why adding players like Gauthier, Barron and Khodorenko are so valuable. The more kids like this you have in your system and on your team, the more each piece becomes more valuable because as a collective they begin to have an accumulative effect on opposition.

Can't agree with this enough.

One of my biggest complaints about the NHL is that the game is TOO fast. A lot of guys in the league that can skate, but that's really about all they can do. And those guys have completely changed the game from a sport of hockey skill and grit, to be all about speed.

I went to an AHL game last year and it was the same, but actually worse, because the players are just as fast, but even have less skill. I was about 10 rows off the ice and noticed the same. No room to do anything, and it happening at a breakneck pace. My daughter was bored out of her mind.

It was a lot of passes to where someone was supposed to be, some contact, puck kicked forward, either an offside, or a dump in. Occasional turnover that sometimes led to a transition chance. But even that was usually covered.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
About time I have seen people think the same as I do. Playoff hockey can be excruciating to sit through at times because there is even less space than usual and the refs let more go. It just turns into a muck fest. You see momentary flashes of actual hockey with the majority of it being like watching football where neither team has a QB that can throw but have excellent run defenses and average RBs. It can be so boring. Dump... turnover, dump, picked pass, breakout, picked pass, dump... repeat. I think for every 10 games I see, I actually am impressed by 2.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
That sounds like a snack

But is he a Nacho cheese Dorenko or a Cool Ranch Dorenko...that's what is most important.

Good signing though eh? I mean, the hope is he at least becomes a productive member of the Wolfpack. Even if he doesn't make it up to the NHL, you have to think it important to have those AHL lifers that add stability to a team. I mean just look at the Wolfpack thread right now and what is kinda happening this year as the Rangers have thinned out that roster.

Reactions: Machinehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad