Confirmed with Link: Rangers Agree to Terms with Goalie Ondrej Pavelec

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He's a step down from Talbot, Biron, and Raanta. I'll be happy with replacement level goaltending for 20 starts.

Yeah I'll be nervous is Lundqvist goes down again for an extended period but hopefully that won't happen. Think the Rangers definitely looking to transition to a prospect in the coming years but I'm not sure anyone is near ready enough

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I was wrong here. I guess Nilsson went for the bigger money in Vancouver but heard the Rangers really wanted him. One million in cap space was too much I guess.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I was wrong here. I guess Nilsson went for the bigger money in Vancouver but heard the Rangers really wanted him. One million in cap space was too much I guess.

Nilsson got $3 mill per right? That's pretty rich for a backup when you're starter is making as much as Lundqvist

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Watched some highlight reels... His main problem is the fact that he constantly loses balance and is always diving forward... Fix that, and his lateral movement should improve.

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Benoit is amazing. He will have to be again with Pavelec.
Good luck with this one, but I think it is really going out on the edge. Somebody said they doubt Henrik will have any extended period of unavailability. I don't have that same confidence. He had two long outages the last two seasons.
All I ever hear from people here is don't worry about giving up Talbot, don't worry about giving up Raanta. It's not a given that Pavelec will turn out the same. I hope he does but optimism could bite NYR in the butt this season.

Last edited:

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
My rose colored glasses show me that once Allaire got his fingers on Pavelec and he buys into his teachings Pavelec will be a great asset at the trade deadline due to stellar play.

Best goalie coach in the league.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Benny's a miracle worker, but if Andy falters... and he's shown very poor mechanics... then you can expect Hank to play a lot more.

I like Andy's athleticism, but he's one of the worst positional goalies there is now.

There's very little rebound control and containment in his game.

If you take a look at Raanta, a smaller guy that challenged more, you see a guy that was aware of his situation at all times... cutting the angle, and making saves that he should while having excellent rebound control.

I don't think you will be getting that with Andy.

Glad it's a one year deal, but I'd give him till late November or Early December before maybe looking to trade for another goalie.

Halverson needs a better year. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as HFD was terrible in front of him last year... hell I stopped my trips to HFD because I don't believe in throwing money at scrubs... but maybe things change with a better defense and hopefully better coaching in front of him...

Teams love his puckhanlding ability, but I'm not 100% sure if he's got what it takes to make it to the show. Good of AGM Dru to bolster the roster.. I'd like to see what Halverson can do.

He may be an internal option if Andy goes on soiling himself out there again.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

He got paid. Was easily the best backup in the market. Timmy Murray wouldn't recognize good goaltending if it was right in front of him.

a .923 SVG in front of a terrible team is outstanding.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
My rose colored glasses show me that once Allaire got his fingers on Pavelec and he buys into his teachings Pavelec will be a great asset at the trade deadline due to stellar play.

Best goalie coach in the league.

Well the Jets have arguably the worst goaltending coach in the league. I'll be following Pavelec closely from Winnipeg. It will end the debate as to whether Wade Flaherty has any redeeming qualities for our club.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Yeah was never a fan of Pavelec.

Benny will help him, but I think for the first time in several seasons I wont be as confident going into games when he starts.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Never know if one of the younger goalies in the AHL show they can backup. Biron got lit up like a Christmas tree and "retired" so Talbot could backup. Pavs could easily go on waivers and be unclaimed to have someone else backup. There should be no assurance that he is the backup. Compete against Halverson and Nell for the job. Could bring someone in to camp as well, ala Hedberg, to compete as well.

I'd hope that goalie would be Jonas Enroth.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I was watching a video of Etems highlight reel goal the other day. I was surprised to see the defensemen Etem undressed was the much desired Trouba. The goalie was Pavelec but in Pavelec's defense it was a quality shot.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I was watching a video of Etems highlight reel goal the other day. I was surprised to see the defensemen Etem undressed was the much desired Trouba. The goalie was Pavelec but in Pavelec's defense it was a quality shot.

Well, Nigel Dawes scored some amazing goals as well. It happens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad