Confirmed with Link: Rangers Agree to Terms With Gilroy (Brooks: $650K)

azrok22

Mar 8, 2006
I'm still not sold on Gilroy as a 6th D. I would rather sign a vet and carry him as a 7th.

I'm hardly a Gilroy fan, but I view him as our 8th D. He's lower on the depth chart than both Bickel and Eminger. That is also commiserate with salary being dished out (Bickel and Eminger are both making $750k).

Hopefully we don't need Gilroy, but in the event there are a couple injuries, we may need him to hold down the fort. There just aren't a lot of UFA D options right now, and I expect the trade market is pretty insane too.

For $650k, there are worse insurance options.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
yea I dont love Gilroy but he will push Bickel and Eminger and its a cheap 1 yr deal so atleast its a guy that knows the system. Fine with it

azrok22

Mar 8, 2006
Keep in mind that 1 way vs 2 way is irrelevant in this circumstance under the new CBA, because Gilroy's salary would fall under the league minimum + 300k minor league salary exemption. They'd be free to bury him in the AHL with no cap repercussions.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If the Rangers sign another forward, someone has to end up in the minors. 23 is the roster limit. 13 forwards, including Haley. 8 D and 2 goalies.

Good chance it will be Haley.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
If the Rangers sign another forward, someone has to end up in the minors. 23 is the roster limit. 13 forwards, including Haley. 8 D and 2 goalies.

Good chance it will be Haley.

Haley is not even at camp
Sign Sykora for $1M on a one year deal and call it a day:yo:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Haley is not even at camp
Sign Sykora for $1M on a one year deal and call it a day:yo:

Didn't realize that. With no Haley in camp, the Rangers only have 11 forwards available for opening night due to Asham's suspension. Wonder what the plan is here.

I'd be fine with Sykora.

SupersonicMonkey*

Don't care what anyone else says, I'm happy Gilroy is back.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Didn't realize that. With no Haley in camp, the Rangers only have 11 forwards available for opening night due to Asham's suspension. Wonder what the plan is here.

I'd be fine with Sykora.
Bickel might be playing wing on the fourth line.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
my memory is that gilroy played his best hockey as a ranger in the playoff series vs the caps in his final games as a ranger...hopefully he can pick up from there and be a serviceable depth guy...but expect eminger to get the #6 spot and gilroy becomes a depth guy. nothing more

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
my memory is that gilroy played his best hockey as a ranger in the playoff series vs the caps in his final games as a ranger...hopefully he can pick up from there and be a serviceable depth guy...but expect eminger to get the #6 spot and gilroy becomes a depth guy. nothing more

Your memory serves correct. He was quite good in that series, I thought he saved his NHL career there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad