News Article: Rangers agree to terms with 2nd round pick Matthew Robertson

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Any chance he can get the 10 game look next season, if he has a great season this year in juniors and if Miller stays in school next season?

of course, he could,
but with Hajek, Lindgren, Rykov and Day all lefties, and probably Tarmo, as well as maybe Miller, added to the mix next season,
my expectation is Robertson's turn won't be next fall

which is fine by me, unless he becomes a true all-WHL beast for EOK this season and drastically changes the pecking order

Reactions: egelband

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Yeah this is weird. With all the guys we have on the left side we should be slow cooking Robertson surprised we signed him this early.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah this is weird. With all the guys we have on the left side we should be slow cooking Robertson surprised we signed him this early.

As long as they leave him in Edmonton and his ELC slides, nothing changes. But the early signing certainly suggests otherwise

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Strong comeback game for him last night in Moose Jaw.

Aside from a goal and an assist, he looked the most comfortable out there as he's been so far this season.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

I don't think this changes the timeline at all...he'll most likely stay in edmonton this year and next and then turn pro as a 20 year old...i'd love to be able to delay him a bit to stagger the ELCs but the 2 years to sign a junior player will prevent that.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't think this changes the timeline at all...he'll most likely stay in edmonton this year and next and then turn pro as a 20 year old...i'd love to be able to delay him a bit to stagger the ELCs but the 2 years to sign a junior player will prevent that.

The most beneficial timelines for different signing dates all end with the same result.

Signed in 2019: 2 slides. ELC counts from 2021 until 2024
Signed in early 2020: Slides or kicks in July 1st 2020, 1 slide. ELC counts from 2021 until 2024
Signed in late 2020/early 2021: Slides or kicks in July 1st 2021. ELC counts from 2021 until 2024

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The Rangers have, more or less, tried to get their kids under contract sooner rather than later. In some cases, that includes players who they know are several years out. For example the Rangers signed Sean Day about 6 months after drafting him, and he still went back to juniors for his D+2 season. So I wouldn't assume that any of this has to do with fast-tracking Robertson.

I think they feel confident he will at least become a pro player for them, they like what they've seen, and he's now under contractual control. Maybe he challenges for a spot next year, or maybe he gets traded as part of a package deal. All of the remains to be seen. But there's no question marks in his contractual status or negotiations to be conducted. It's done and the Rangers can utilize that contract as they see fit, when they see fit.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

no not necessarily time wise more so in terms of adding a contract to your 50 so soon. Doesn’t seem like there is any reason to rush. Kid isn’t going anywhere

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
no not necessarily time wise more so in terms of adding a contract to your 50 so soon. Doesn’t seem like there is any reason to rush. Kid isn’t going anywhere

well I don't think it counts toward the 50 contracts if he is back in juniors and it slides...so that only shifts if he's in the NHL next year and if he's that good at 19 i'll learn to live with it lol

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

well I don't think it counts toward the 50 contracts if he is back in juniors and it slides...so that only shifts if he's in the NHL next year and if he's that good at 19 i'll learn to live with it lol

According to Capfriendly the contract isn't exempt from counting towards the limit of 50

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I didn't think any slide years counted

I'd have to dig into the CBA for this. Give me a few minutes

Edit:

Page 7, CBA article 1:
Not more than 50 Players signed to an SPC and not less than 24 Players and 3 goalkeepers under an SPC. Age 18 and age 19 Players who were returned to Juniors, and who have not played 11 NHL Games in one season, shall be exempt from inclusion in the 50 Player limit.

That settles it. He's exempt

Reactions: lucky13 and Leetch3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->