News Article: Rangers agree to terms with 2nd round pick Matthew Robertson

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
So it's quite possible he'll be playing for the Rangers or Hartford after his Junior season ends, I guess. I'd that a fair assumption?

Reactions: Ola

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So it's quite possible he'll be playing for the Rangers or Hartford after his Junior season ends, I guess. I'd that a fair assumption?

He can't because he is only 19 at the start of the 2020-21 season. Players drafted out of the OHL/WHL/QMJHL have to be either 20 years of age or have completed 5 seasons in major juniors before they can move to the AHL.

Exceptions are players from other leagues who were playing there on loan (Sandin, Zadina)

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He can't because he is only 19 at the start of the 2020-21 season. Players drafted out of the OHL/WHL/QMJHL have to be either 20 years of age or have completed 5 seasons in major juniors before they can move to the AHL.

Exceptions are players from other leagues who were playing there on loan (Sandin, Zadina)

Ah ok, I thought this only was the case during the ongoing CHL season. So they can’t even join after their junior season have ended?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

20 years old or 4 years. And he can play in the AHL at the end of this year if the Oil King's season ends before Hartford's does.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

He can play when his CHL season ends, if Hartford is also still playing.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah, this happens pretty commonly for higher-tier prospects once their D+1 season ends in juniors. For example, Howden went to play 5 games with Syracuse in 16-17, Cal Foote played 6 games for them in 17-18, etc.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

On an ATO, yes. But he can't sign a contract. And that ATO can also be signed without an ELC in place. Ronning played in Hartford on an ATO before he signed his ELC.

I was referring to playing in the AHL as a contracted player

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yeah, this happens pretty commonly for higher-tier prospects once their D+1 season ends in juniors. For example, Howden went to play 5 games with Syracuse in 16-17, Cal Foote played 6 games for them in 17-18, etc.

Yeah this is what I thought, and AK, thanks for clearing up that it has to be on a try-out deal regardless if the player has an ELC or not.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Really really high hopes for this kid. More than any other defensive prospect not named K'Andre.
This kid is going to be an absolute steal where they drafted him :spud:

Reactions: zephyr

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
On an ATO, yes. But he can't sign a contract. And that ATO can also be signed without an ELC in place. Ronning played in Hartford on an ATO before he signed his ELC.

So does this contract then actually prevent his playing in Hartford?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I know--and I don't think the OP was implying any of what you say. Just that the fact that we've signed him would lead one to believe we'd also have him play some pro games at the end of the year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I know--and I don't think the OP was implying any of what you say. Just that the fact that we've signed him would lead one to believe we'd also have him play some pro games at the end of the year.

That's true but he could do that without the ELC. So it's still a big question mark to me why they signed him now. The timing is just weird

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
all that said...good chance he won't have an opportunity to play in hartford anyway cause the oil kings are good and last season didn't get knocked out of the playoffs until April 28th. hartford who is typically hot garbage has missed the playoffs 6 of the last 7 years so they will probably be done before his junior season is over...

and if by some chance they do make the playoffs, I think its more likely that the rangers will send kids down to play in the AHL playoffs than call guys up

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Any chance he can get the 10 game look next season, if he has a great season this year in juniors and if Miller stays in school next season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad