Value of: Rangers acquiring a 2019 pick between #6-10

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I would trade Kreider+22 for the 8 and a small add.

I would do it if we knew ahead of time he would resign with the Oilers . I would then try to move a cap dump and offer the 22nd OA + for Zucker . Trade Nurse to Montreal for Gallagher

Kreider McDavid Draisaitl
Zucker RNH Gallagher

Now that is 2 solid lines . With the ability to make 3 very good lines out of them

Kreider McDavid Kassian
Zucker Draisaitl Chiasson
Khaira RNH Gallagher

Mix and match as you see fit . I got Gallagher on the 3 line even tho he would be the best RW on the team but it give RNH a winger that he can produces with .

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I would do it if we knew ahead of time he would resign with the Oilers . I would then try to move a cap dump and offer the 22nd OA + for Zucker . Trade Nurse to Montreal for Gallagher

Kreider McDavid Draisaitl
Zucker RNH Gallagher

Now that is 2 solid lines . With the ability to make 3 very good lines out of them

Kreider McDavid Kassian
Zucker Draisaitl Chiasson
Khaira RNH Gallagher

Mix and match as you see fit . I got Gallagher on the 3 line even tho he would be the best RW on the team but it give RNH a winger that he can produces with .

If you knew ahead of time that he would resign, then the Rangers would too and you aren't getting Kreider for much more than 8OA straight up. You'd probably have to add. Stepan+Raanta went for 7OA+DeAngelo. What makes Kreider cheaper is that he only has one year left on his deal.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Doesn’t make sense for Detroit considering we need top end center and defense prospects.

Reactions: Ori

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
This Oil fan would definitely be into 8th OA for Kreider +22nd OA. Unfortunately it didn’t seem many Ranger fans agreed (a lot wanted 8th for Kreider straight up - not happening). Maybe a small add on the Oilers end to complete the deal?

This Ranger fan would make that deal.

Kreider
Jets pick
I'd take back Brodziak and Manning too
for
8th overall.

Oilers get Kreider for about 2M additional cap hit that would otherwise be used on Brodziak and Manning. Maybe they do extend him, maybe they sell him next deadline and recoup assets, maybe they self rent.

Not just the Oilers, any team who has a pick in the top 10, maybe even a little beyond, where a prospect I wanted was there, similar deal would be on the table, with similar level of cap hit(s) coming back.

Kreider does have a 11 team limited no trade, so possibly it's dead from the get go, possible the Jets pick ends up worth more or less too depending on what goes on there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ori

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
no its not....

Buffalo traded a 2nd and 3rd for skinner...expect the same unless they traded ourright the latter pick that is 20-31
Skinner came off a sub-par season and a prospect was also included.

It's fine that you don't want the Jets + Kreider for Buffalo's first, but what you paid for Skinner has no relevance here.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I could see Colorado being interested in Kreider, Rangers could really use Dach. I think him and Kakko would be lights out together, provided it is Kakko who they draft.
Colorado doesn't have a high enough pick for us to land Dach, and they're not giving up the #4.

Reactions: highlandeskog

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
This Oil fan would definitely be into 8th OA for Kreider +22nd OA. Unfortunately it didn’t seem many Ranger fans agreed (a lot wanted 8th for Kreider straight up - not happening). Maybe a small add on the Oilers end to complete the deal?
Would you feel comfortable giving up 8th for Kreider + 22nd knowing he's a pending UFA?
I would think the Oilers would have to feel pretty confident they can get him re-signed before they'd pull the trigger on that.

Reactions: TFHockey

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
This feels like a classic thread that will be a situation where what it takes (at least from fans) to get a 6-10 pick is too much for what it takes (at least from fans) paying for that pick.

Basically, Rags fans here probably won't want to pony up another good young skilled player to one of the teams that need exactly that out of their early 1st round pick. And they won't want to drop down off of their lottery ticket to acquire another pick either. So no deal would be made.

But if #2 wasn't so important, they could probably pull off a couple deals (e.g. #2 for #4 + #16) and then turn around with Two Firsts and Kreider for a top 10 pick.

Nah, they’ll hold onto #2. I don’t expect Kreider to get them into the top-10 of the draft. Maybe if he had term left on his deal 2020, but not with only next year left on his deal. I’ll gladly take another late first and a prospect for him, but a lot of the beat writers (I’ve done multiple live chats on The Athletic) think that Kreider won’t be dealt.

I’d personally like to see him dealt, but I think they might hold onto him and see if they can get something at the deadline.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Is there anyone that the Canucks would be interested in?
I don't see the Canucks having much interest in moving that pick for a couple reasons. First off they need all the young talent they can get right now, and this years draft seems to see a talent drop off right around the 8-12 mark, so I would assume the Canucks would want to stay in that higher talent tier. Secondly the draft is being held in Vancouver this year and since we don't have Stanley Cup playoffs to riot about, the city may revolt if the team trades away their first pick in a draft they are hosting.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
This seems like a fair deal, might even be in the Rangers favor since Kreider has 1 year left. Rangers could even retain 5o% and take back a cap dump like Manning to even it out.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton would have to have an extension in place for Kreider. They'd have to know that he would stick around and what cap implications that would entail.

Pretty reasonable discussion Ranger fans, thanks.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Would Kreider + two 2nds or Kreider + 22nd overall be of interest? Does Buffalo see Hutton or Ullmark as long term options or would they be interested in a young potential starter like Georgiev?
If I were Edmonton, I would consider a signed Kreider (depending on cap hit and term of course) and either the 22nd or Georgiev for the 8th. Or Kredier for 8th and Lucic (with say, 2 million retained perhaps).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
no its not....

Buffalo traded a 2nd and 3rd for skinner...expect the same unless they traded ourright the latter pick that is 20-31

All anyone has said about that deal is how bad it was for Carolina in terms of value. Buffalo getting a good deal on Skinner doesn't set the market value for Kreider.

DakrSnooze

Aug 27, 2011
Whitehorse
This Ranger fan would make that deal.

Kreider
Jets pick
I'd take back Brodziak and Manning too
for
8th overall.

Oilers get Kreider for about 2M additional cap hit that would otherwise be used on Brodziak and Manning. Maybe they do extend him, maybe they sell him next deadline and recoup assets, maybe they self rent.

Not just the Oilers, any team who has a pick in the top 10, maybe even a little beyond, where a prospect I wanted was there, similar deal would be on the table, with similar level of cap hit(s) coming back.

Kreider does have a 11 team limited no trade, so possibly it's dead from the get go, possible the Jets pick ends up worth more or less too depending on what goes on there.

If you'd take Brodz and Manning then I would do this deal. Like you say, depends on where that Jets pick ends up, and if Kreider would say yes to Edmonton.

Reactions: Off Sides

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The Rangers literally traded a 27 year old Derek Stepan to the Coyotes 2 years ago.. If you don't believe the value is even thats one thing. But don't make stuff up.

One idiot move by a GM is atatern.

The other 2 times in the last 30 years a team has traded outright their top 10 pick was New Jersey fro Schneider and Carolina for Stall.

Its fact--value of top 10 picks > 99% of NHL players 27 yrs old or older.

Stepan had term which raised his value

not getting a top 10 pick.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
All anyone has said about that deal is how bad it was for Carolina in terms of value. Buffalo getting a good deal on Skinner doesn't set the market value for Kreider.

except what they traded is equivalent to a late 1st--which is what you would get for Kreider at the deadline.

top 10 picks are much more value that a pick in the 20s.

The only way Kreider get a top 10 is if a team trades their 1st in 2020 without protection and for some reason doesnt make the playoffs.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If you'd take Brodz and Manning then I would do this deal. Like you say, depends on where that Jets pick ends up, and if Kreider would say yes to Edmonton.

I would take both back.

From my point of view (not unique, but probably in the minority) the Rangers are waiting on the contracts to Staal, Shattenkirk, Smith, Lundqvist to either be moved beforehand (unlikely for a while or at all) or end naturally in the 2021 off-season anyway, taking on two 1 year contracts at that combined cap hit level is fine by me.

If the Jets pick falls more towards #18-22, maybe the Oilers send back something small, or honestly maybe nothing extra, I'm not letting that hold up the deal for #8.

If it falls later, like 28-31 or something, and I needed to add like a 3rd or a 4th this, or in a future draft, I'm not letting that hold up the deal either.

I have no idea who is on the Rangers draft list, how they rank them or tier them, but I see several opportunities at #8 where they can wait for that prospect to develop over those same two years that it's likely to take to say goodbye to Staal, Smith, Shattenkirk, Lundqvist.

Kreider waiving should the Oilers even be on his list, who knows, maybe he thinks his next contract gets much larger should he end up on the top line wing in Edmonton.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I could see Colorado being interested in Kreider, Rangers could really use Dach. I think him and Kakko would be lights out together, provided it is Kakko who they draft.
I agree Avs would benefit greatly from bookending Kreider + MacKinnon. During the year might have moved the needle slightly, but even still, 4OA is too much esp considering lack of term.

I am NOT saying we do this deal, just as courtesy to reply to ask on what it would take, the dust now having settled, I could see:
Kreider + our stud D prospect Miller
for
4OA + Colorado's own 2019 1st + RD prospect Melloche
also a later conditional pick if Kreider extends.

Derek Stepan Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Yes, I understand that Kreider has several years less on his deal, but all that means is that there's room for negotiation.
And Stepan sucks compared to Kreider, who would thus command more, comparatively.
That said, the 'yotes overpaid, fortunately for NY, so that price would definitely go up, but then need be adjusted if you consider that otherwise, the price for Stepan would have been less.

There is no world in which Chris Kreider centers a conversation for the fourth overall pick.
Alone, no.
With correct reasonable add(s). Yes.
Not sure we agree on what that might be.

Which is fine, NY needs Kreider to keep first line enticing for Panarin.

Nah, they’ll hold onto #2. I don’t expect Kreider to get them into the top-10 of the draft. Maybe if he had term left on his deal 2020, but not with only next year left on his deal. I’ll gladly take another late first and a prospect for him, but a lot of the beat writers (I’ve done multiple live chats on The Athletic) think that Kreider won’t be dealt.

I’d personally like to see him dealt, but I think they might hold onto him and see if they can get something at the deadline.

I'm in agreement with the writers on that one.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
To answer OP, it would take Zib/+ for a pick 4-10, and depending on which pick, Rangers and or other team either or both add. But my point is we have now established that if we are keeping certain other guys, Zib is the one who would have to be moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad