Post-Game Talk: Rangers 4, Penguins 3 (OT) - Despite Best Efforts, Pens Fail to Blow #3 Metro Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I would be vehemently against putting Phil with Jake and Sid. The last thing in the world we should be doing is putting the defensively woeful Kessel on our only producing line, neutering their offensive zone time and making them play more defense.

There really is no good spot for Phil. He'll flip his lid if he's put with Bjugs on the third line, and he's a complete mess with Geno, bringing Geno down in the process.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Jake Sid Kessel is what I would do
McCann Geno Rust
The last thing this team needs is Phil getting more minutes. Getting real tired of watching him skate down the wing with time/space and pull up only to make a weak 4 foot pass to the other team.
If I was on the coaching staff I'd tell him he isnt playing a minute in the playoffs unless he changes his stick to something stronger than an overcooked spaghetti noodle.

Reactions: bigkam

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You've just got to play him with Geno. There's no other option. Scratching him is not an option--not a realistic one. Nobody wants to be the coach to end one of the longest Iron Man streaks in the history of the 100+ years of the NHL. We don't give a shit about the streak, but it is a big deal, so just eliminate that option right off the bat. I went over why it makes no sense to play him with Sid; horrible defensive presence forces Jake and Sid, our only really potent offensive guys, to play more defensively. I doubt Sid would be happy with Phil bumbling around and biffing one-timers after Sid draws guys to him to create space for Phil to shoot. Kessel's been bad with Geno all season and he makes Geno worse. There's about a year's worth of evidence of that, going back through last Caps' series. The third line is not an option because Phil's gotten pissed about being "demoted" in the past when he had to play with Brassard. The last thing Phil needs is another thing adding to the frustration of a miserable season, and putting him on the third line is going to do just that.

It's a damned if we do, damned if we don't situation with Phil. Either you play him where he seems the most happy, on Geno's wing, and you neuter the effectiveness of an already banged up Evgeni Malkin, or you play him on the third line with Bjugs and run the risk of the powder keg exploding.

I hope JR at the very least entertains offers for Phil this summer. Not only have his struggles been frustrating as all Hell, he's getting older on a team with a handful of guys (Sid, Geno, Letang, Hornqvist, Kessel) all approaching the inevitable decline due to age. That's nearly $38 million in cap. I appreciate that he's still been able to be a point per game guy in what's been a godawful season in terms of play on the ice. He's still got a lot of skill and a lot to offer a team needing offense. But the bad outweighs the good now as far as Kessel goes, and the Kessel era, as awesome as it's been, should end this summer.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Just tell Kessel that we are playing the Wings in every game. ;)

Also, bear in mind there is no 3 on 3 in the playoffs, he has been a lot better 5 on 5 lately. It pains me to say it but Malkin's defensive effort on the SHG and the OT goal was even worse than Kessel's, let's hope it's the injury bothering him and that he will be back to his best in the playoffs. Wilson's turnover for the first goal and Guentzel's play on the second were pretty bad too, gotta be more careful against that other NY team.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I think it does. It’s pretty foolish to think that it won’t. I guess Horny and Kessel will both suddenly stop playing like ass? Geno too, right? Maatta will learn how to skate for this post season? Murray will suddenly stop being a mental midget during the last 5 minutes?

We have been limiting the odd man rushes since the new year. Last night's game was a throwback of them getting sloppy letting up way too many chances. That hasnt been the case for the last few months.

Wouldn't be surprised if they wanted Caps in first round.

McCann/Bjugstad >> Brassard/Sheahan
Blueger/Simon/Cullen >>> ZAR/Simon/No Cullen

So we upgraded big time with that Florida trade. Simon is better this year. Blueger is up..could provide whats needed with who we missed most last year...Cullen.

This team is much better heading in. Kinda wanted to play Caps first so theres less scouting. Now Wash will see Pens at their best against Isles. As long as we dont get any injuries(of course Caps wont) they should be fine.

I say at least ECF...depends on who and what shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad