Post-Game Talk: Rangers 4, Penguins 3 (OT) - Despite Best Efforts, Pens Fail to Blow #3 Metro Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@BHD
Had that McCann scare early. Looked like his wrist / forearm could have broke.
Got lucky there.

Reactions: BHD

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Geno wasn’t standing still adjusting his glove while the puck mover was in front of him.

No, Geno just made no effort at the guy who literally "was in front of him" and skated right by him. You seriously need to look at that play. Nothing Kessel was going to do was going to change anything. Nothing at all. Does it make what both did right? no. But Kessel didn't do anything that cost them. They were trapped for not being able to change and NYR's bench was right there.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Someone convince me why this won't happen in the playoffs.
tenor.gif

Reactions: BHD and ColePens

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
If the pens want to win the cup the top six has to be NO kessel with Malkin. Give Malkin the two puck hounds.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
McCann-Malkin-Rust

Please.
Geno and Phillip were the only two -2 players tonight.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Curious to see the D set-up once Dumo comes back. I think Dumo-Shultz for Geno-Phil is the answer.

Dont put Horny on the left. Keep the third line together--they don't score much, but they are scored on less and they grind.

I agree with the OP that the Geno-Phil line is the x-factor. If they have Dumo/Olli/MP-Shultz, they can excel. Personally I would keep MP on the third pairing. I feel more comfortable with him carrying an anchor than Olli. Olli can play with Letang.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Penguins secure 3rd place in typical Pens fashion -- doing the least amount by earning an OT loss point.

Positives include Jake's 40th and Sid getting his 100 points.

Now let's wipe the slate clean and hope the Pens bring their most consistent efforts against the Isles.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No, Geno just made no effort at the guy who literally "was in front of him" and skated right by him. You seriously need to look at that play. Nothing Kessel was going to do was going to change anything. Nothing at all. Does it make what both did right? no. But Kessel didn't do anything that cost them. They were trapped for not being able to change and NYR's bench was right there.

You realize I’m not blaming Kessel for the goal. I’m saying he clearly did not give a f*** and standing their adjusting his gloves in the 3v3 was a microcosm of that.

Reactions: KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If the pens want to win the cup the top six has to be NO kessel with Malkin. Give Malkin the two puck hounds.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
McCann-Malkin-Rust

Please.

The issue is the 3rd line has been huge for us during this stretch. Honesty, I’d go back to Guentzel - Sid - Rust and go McCann - Malkin - Kessel and double shit Hornqvist in both of those combos when needed so that Kessel sees no shifts starting in the d zone.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
and i see Murray bashing for some odd reason. Insane. Absolute bonkers Thats like bashing Crosby

Where? Here? The same like 3 people man. Don't get worked up over 'em.

Last edited:

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I don't mind if the Penguins want to keep Kessel, but I don't like him on Malkin's line.

The issue is our third line is pretty good right now so changing that might not be a great idea. I've said it before, Malkin needs one or two good two-way forwards on his line. Ideally, McCann and Rust or McCann and Hornqvist. I think you put McCann and Hornqvist with Malkin, then move Kessel down with Simon and Bjugstad. I feel like it's for the best.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don't mind if the Penguins want to keep Kessel, but I don't like him on Malkin's line.

The issue is our third line is pretty good right now so changing that might not be a great idea. I've said it before, Malkin needs one or two good two-way forwards on his line. Ideally, McCann and Rust or McCann and Hornqvist. I think you put McCann and Hornqvist with Malkin, then move Kessel down with Simon and Bjugstad. I feel like it's for the best.

you cannot have Simon and Kessel on the same line. The two worst defensive players.

Blueger has to be the 3LW in this case.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Crosby does not want Kessel, Malkin does not work with Kessel, Kessel does not want to play on line 3. it's time for us to get rid of Kessel, no other way around it. Unless he decides to be a team player instead of playing only for himself and his useless ironman streak and show effort we need to move on. He will get his points regardless because he's Kessel.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
So whomever is responsible for the PP and especially the shorties coming off it ought to have their job on the line these playoffs... just saying....

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Crosby does not want Kessel, Malkin does not work with Kessel, Kessel does not want to play on line 3. it's time for us to get rid of Kessel, no other way around it. Unless he decides to be a team player instead of playing only for himself and his useless ironman streak and show effort we need to move on. He will get his points regardless because he's Kessel.

I agree, Kessel is totally useless right now and he just doesn’t fit with that team anymore. He’s arguably the worst ppg player in the league right now.

He slows down Geno and that’s something you don’t want come playoff time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad