Larry Brooks: Ranger Pre-season Crowds More Intense?

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I caught Larry Brooks article previewing the Rangers. He stated words along the lines that the Rangers pre season crowds were more intense than crowds during the late regular season and early playoffs.

I only caught parts of the final home pre season game last Friday against Chicago.
I noticed how loud, intense, and into the fans were and thought similar.

Was this the case? If so is it a reflection of just how dead the Rangers crowd/base was pre cup run, or how big the a Rangers have be one, or is it like when the NY Giants play Monday night games were it's more intense because it's cheaper meaning the real fans not the suits go?

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
More people are excited about Rangers now after the deep playoff run.

More people are finding out about the nice updates to MSG

Preseason is cheaper.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
Yeah the preseason was much more intense than the playoffs. I think Larry might have had a few cocktails when he wrote this!

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
What Brooksie's saying is that your die-hards are going to less games because the ticket prices are so high, and you're seeing more casual and corporate tickets in the seats because they're the ones that can afford them.

He's commenting on the economics of the garden which reflects the rising cost of living in NYC.

The cost of living in NYC is 125% above the national average. Those of you that are unfamiliar with NY, it's been a trend for over 10 years now, and its re-shaped the socio-economic climate of the entire city.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I was more interested in the percentage of Montreal fans during the ECF.

I would put it at a solid 14-17% of the building was in MTL red.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
The real fans with no season tickets or corporate boxes go to preseason games more often so you do hear the homefield advantage. Which doesn't happen with all the non-fans that usually attend games as a thing to do.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
Incredible to me how people can project their own political and economic philosophies on simple things.

There hasn't been a "preseason" at the Garden in 3 years!

We just came off a playoff run that took us to the finals!!

And...we have some really exciting prospects playing in presason that people wanted to get a look at!

It's not some socio-economic phenomena, class warfare, political statement of blue collar "real" fans vs evil suits!

jeez

Give it a rest.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Incredible to me how people can project their own political and economic philosophies on simple things.

That to me is the difference between a commentator and a journalist. A lot of writers project their sentiments into their reporting, especially in the blogosphere. Uncle Larry or Brooksie is a good reporter, but we all know he tends to be very opinionated from time to time. Nothing wrong with that per se.

The guy is a very smart writer, and I would say he understands a lot of the things going on around him and incorporates it into his reporting. Other guys are hockey guys first, and others just "report the news". The coverage for this team is class A in my opinion, and I include the MSG staff in there.

What Brooksie's writing about in this article is more of a reflection of the class based socioeconomic gap that's in the city.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
tickets were a total rip off on stub hub in the preseason. the blackhawk tickets were more expensive than regular season games last year.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
tickets were a total rip off on stub hub in the preseason. the blackhawk tickets were more expensive than regular season games last year.

no, tickets were dirt cheap and you have sat in a suite for under $100

if you waited until the last minute for the blackhawks game you were way too late there was nothing available. 1 or 2 days before everything went over face, but that would be your own fault for waiting too long

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Maybe he means that only the hardcore fans go to preseason games, while regular season and playoffs attract all sorts of corporate clients who don't care about hockey and bandwagoners who just want to join the party.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Why do people pay attention to Larry Brooks anymore? He should stick to more informative journalism instead of his awful opinion pieces.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The real fans with no season tickets or corporate boxes go to preseason games more often so you do hear the homefield advantage. Which doesn't happen with all the non-fans that usually attend games as a thing to do.

Nope. See quote 2

That to me is the difference between a commentator and a journalist. A lot of writers project their sentiments into their reporting, especially in the blogosphere. Uncle Larry or Brooksie is a good reporter, but we all know he tends to be very opinionated from time to time. Nothing wrong with that per se.

The guy is a very smart writer, and I would say he understands a lot of the things going on around him and incorporates it into his reporting. Other guys are hockey guys first, and others just "report the news". The coverage for this team is class A in my opinion, and I include the MSG staff in there.

What Brooksie's writing about in this article is more of a reflection of the class based socioeconomic gap that's in the city.

Meh, think of it more like Brooksie click bait for "the real fans without tickets."

no, tickets were dirt cheap and you have sat in a suite for under $100

if you waited until the last minute for the blackhawks game you were way too late there was nothing available. 1 or 2 days before everything went over face, but that would be your own fault for waiting too long

My season tickets are good, but they aren't the suites, and they were well over the $100 price you "cited" that phantom real Fan bought.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Whether you want to call it class warfare or not it doesn't really matter. The truth is the real new york fan is priced out of most sporting events. Giants games, Yankee games, Mets games, Rangers games. Knicks games. It doesn't matter, they all attract all kinds of people of which maybe half of them are real fans who make noise and understand the importance of making noise and establishing a home field advantage. I've actually sat on stands with "fans" who don't make noise because it is "tacky" or "beneath them" as a dumb girl once told me. I don't understand why the hell they go to games then when they can be somewhere else.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I don't know about the class war point he's making, just wanted to say, preseason is the best time to buy cheap seats and sneak down a few rows behind the visitors bench, always get away with it, especially if you show up in a group of 4 or more.

And I've seen some really fun preseason games in the last 15 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad