Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Hit the Ice is the all-time greatest hockey game ever, IMO

tumblr_o0uj3ks8TR1qd4q8ao1_400.gifv

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I got Thimbleweed Park on a Steam sale a while ago and I can't wait to finish up some other games and get back to the PnC adventure game.
those kind of pure adventure games are something I've never gotten in to. I'm sure I'd like them, but if I just want to see a story play out I just watch TV or a movie instead :laugh:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I dunno, hitz was pretty great
Hitz.png

I was going to reply with 'I'm a NHL Hitz myself'

It's my 2nd favorite hockey game outside of NHL 2k8.

I'll always remember my 300lb goalie named 'MEAT'

That used to be our go to party game for a looooooooong long time

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I was going to reply with 'I'm a NHL Hitz myself'

It's my 2nd favorite hockey game outside of NHL 2k8.

I'll always remember my 300lb goalie named 'MEAT'

That used to be our go to party game for a looooooooong long time
me and my roommate in college had a draft for the custom heads and announcer names and build two teams to play as. We had two multitaps for ps2, so we could play full 3v3 with 6 people. It was so much fun.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
me and my roommate in college had a draft for the custom heads and announcer names and build two teams to play as. We had two multitaps for ps2, so we could play full 3v3 with 6 people. It was so much fun.

Why has hockey popularity shot through the glass ceiling, but yet hockey games have completely disappeared?

There are so few hockey games on steam. I remember a year or two ago that stupid physics based 3v3 crap fest hockey game came out. The worst part about it, was I missed hockey games so much I ended up playing that POS for 2 or 3 hours.

I found a... either a dreamcast or ps2 emulator that runs NHL Hitz 2002 (whatever one has Scott Stevens on it)

I used to play as the Kings, they had the best tandem... I always locked in as Adam Deadmarsh. Penguins were more built towards skill / scoring in that game. Who were the penguins rosters::: Mario, Kasperitis, Kovalev, Straka, Lang?

Going to look up Hitz rosters now...

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I think hockey is just....REALLY hard to simulate. It's almost impossible to balance difficulty and realism. So you lose the hardcore fans because 10-12 scores are dumb, rubber band AI is BS, and you lose the casuals because using skill sticks take a bit of skill.

And no one is into the goofy arcade games right now. 8bit graphics and remakes of JRPGs are in....for now.

I haven't seen any increase in hockey popularity in anyone that I know.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Anyone watch 'The Carbonera Effect' or however it's spelled?

It's a hidden camera magic show. I found it flipping broadcast tv when at my grand mothers. The show is hilarious... a hidden gem I'm surprised isn't more popular.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I think hockey is just....REALLY hard to simulate. It's almost impossible to balance difficulty and realism. So you lose the hardcore fans because 10-12 scores are dumb, rubber band AI is BS, and you lose the casuals because using skill sticks take a bit of skill.

And no one is into the goofy arcade games right now. 8bit graphics and remakes of JRPGs are in....for now.

California is kind of a 'meh' area for hockey though.. I mean generally niche. Obviously people like it who live there, but it's not really a hot spot of hockey fans.

Around where I live it's noticeably more popular than it was 20 years ago. TV coverage alone has gone up 100%. I mean... look at the past, NHL Penguins games weren't even broadcast on tv their entire season!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

also, the skill sticks were still super goofy last time I played, which admittedly was probably like 2013. But imo as long as things like hits and accuracy come down to the RNG mixed with player stats it just won't really work imo.

Reactions: EightyOne

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
also, the skill sticks were still super goofy last time I played, which admittedly was probably like 2013. But imo as long as things like hits and accuracy come down to the RNG mixed with player stats it just won't really work imo.

Which is why I stick to NHL 2k8 as my favorite hockey sim every made.

I wish I could program... I'd port that to PC and have a graphics and roster update... never need another hockey game...

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
California is kind of a 'meh' area for hockey though.. I mean generally niche. Obviously people like it who live there, but it's not really a hot spot of hockey fans.

Around where I live it's noticeably more popular than it was 20 years ago. TV coverage alone has gone up 100%. I mean... look at the past, NHL Penguins games weren't even broadcast on tv their entire season!

Right, but does the NHL care about growing the sport in BFE, Minnesota?

Or actual, affluent, population centers?

My larger point, is, an area with zero hockey involvement, that is highly coveted by investors, still has, zero hockey involvement.

Reactions: Winger for Hire

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Right, but does the NHL care about growing the sport in BFE, Minnesota?

Or actual, affluent, population centers?

My larger point, is, an area with zero hockey involvement, that is highly coveted by investors, still has, zero hockey involvement.

I wish that local governments or whoever put up those public parks that have tennis nets and basketball courts would install a roller hockey rink that has two goals. Even just the surface with a small wall surrounding it that would also be floodable in the winter to transform it into a ice hockey rink.

Not sure why every town needs several tennis courts and basketball courts, which most of the time go rotted and unused.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

What? The Gulls are smashing records in San Diego and they are getting another AHL team in Palm Springs. Not to mention San Jose, Anaheim, and LA were the most competitive teams in the West over the past decade.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm still mad as shit I wasn't able to go to a Gulls game when I went to San Diego last month. That and the Ducks game were 2 things I was really looking forward to and the seasons got suspended like a day before the games. Super disappointing.

Damn I want to go back to San Diego, when the threat of COVID-19 isn't creating a feeling of uneasiness. The only city I've gone to multiple times for a vacation was Berlin (where I was kinda underwhelmed my 2nd time, but that's because I didn't plan well for my time there), and I think San Diego is going to be the 2nd. Hopefully Berlin isn't underwhelming again, because I think I'm going back there too right after the first wave of the pandemic clears :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It was crazy trying to find a public rink to play shinny in Chicago when I lived there. And that city loves hockey plus it’s freezing half the year.

Maybe things have changed. :dunno:

By contrast, I’ve been invited to pickup games no less than 20 times this winter alone here. :dunno: I guess it’s like Canada where hockey is the default pastime and anything else is exotic and weird.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Uh

Facebook

That's all you need to know

I log in five or so times a year. I can't stand the things posited by others after about twenty six seconds.

Only have it in case I need it to contact family or whatever

I kinda think it's a terrible time to be single. So many people are just so....we'll say incompatible with me...I dunno how much energy it would take to sort through them.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Uh

Facebook

That's all you need to know

I log in five or so times a year. I can't stand the things posited by others after about twenty six seconds.

Only have it in case I need it to contact family or whatever

I kinda think it's a terrible time to be single. So many people are just so....we'll say incompatible with me...I dunno how much energy it would take to sort through them.

I do the same. It's a pyramid of death...

But I may use the marketplace to sell.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Anybody else watching the Bulls documentary The Last Dance?

The Jordan/Pippen/Rodman dynamic has more than a few similarities to the Crosby/Malkin/Kessel dynamic.

Reactions: BHD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad