Randy Must Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaddyMcStackin

Goalier Than Thou
Apr 18, 2018
The sad thing is they don't have to have some awful record the rest of the way, just merely bad, which is a great improvement over what is happening now. They have pretty much done the heavy lifting by losing an unconscionable 16 of 18.

If they lose to Montreal today (they will), Florida beats St. Louis, and the hawks beat the oilers we will be in the fifth pick with Detroit, new New Jersey, and LA right on our heels.

Everyone has games on us, it's just a matter of when we hit rock bottom and start to stabilize that we will have a better idea on what is realistic, it just hasn't happened yet. That's scary.

We have 29 games left? About 20 of them are against teams in contention for a playoff spot. 15 home and 14 road games.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
It's about time that they start managing Gibson's workload. He can still play, but Randy needs to get it through his thick skull that this team isn't making the playoffs. There's no need to wear down Gibson even further by playing him in 90% of the games. Let him play half, and hopefully he can catch his breath. And selfishly, I hate seeing his stats crater because the team has gone to shit and he very visibly stops putting in maximum effort once the team gets down by more than 1 or 2 goals in each game.

I do worry though when I see statements like the one Getz (or some other player) made in the Athletic article, about how they're only a few points out of a playoff spot and can still make a run. Obviously this is what they probably have have to say, but I sure hope they're not that delusional.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
The sad thing is they don't have to have some awful record the rest of the way, just merely bad, which is a great improvement over what is happening now. They have pretty much done the heavy lifting by losing an unconscionable 16 of 18.

If they lose to Montreal today (they will), Florida beats St. Louis, and the hawks beat the oilers we will be in the fifth pick with Detroit, new New Jersey, and LA right on our heels.

Everyone has games on us, it's just a matter of when we hit rock bottom and start to stabilize that we will have a better idea on what is realistic, it just hasn't happened yet. That's scary.
This is what I was thinking. People are saying that there's no way they can be this bad for the rest of the season (although I might argue that). But they don't need to be. This slide has already put them right in and amongst the worst teams in the league. You can say the same about the teams currently below them. We see it all the time where the bottom feeders go on a little run at the end of the year for whatever reason. We saw it firsthand when Ottawa won 4 or 5 in a row a few seasons back and took our draft pick from the Ryan trade from 5 to 10 or whatever it was.

Even if they play only slightly under .500 from here on out (a tall task for this group actually, but whatever), they're likely to at least stay where they are and quite possibly could get passed by a couple more teams. And one more long losing streak (4+ games) likely takes them straight into bottom 3 territory.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
People are really underestimating what kind of long term effect a season continued like this can have. I don’t understand how people can be happy with leaving Carlyle in and watching this **** whether it means we get a top 3 draft pick or not, which is no guarantee anyways no matter where we finish with the current lottery format. It’s one thing to suck but I can only imagine how bad things are getting in that locker room. If they switched coaches right now they would probably still get a decent pick and may even have a strong end to the season, which contrary to popular belief, is not a completely bad thing even if they miss the playoffs because it goes a long way for next season

In my mind, this is the strongest argument for firing Carlyle now, though I'm not sold on it. Is this season and the awful play likely to create a losing culture and bad locker room going forward (see Edmonton)? I don't think it is given the fact that Getzlaf, Kesler, and others won't accept that standard. But it is a risk.

And for those of you who (in different posts) are suggesting that Carlyle should quit, that is just silly and antithetical to what any professional athlete or coach will do. It is not about the money - I'm sure the ducks would still pay him. The only thing worse than being a bad coach/loser is being a quitter.

I'm not pleased with the team's play or the record this season, but I'm a bit surprised by the board's reaction to it. A meltdown like this was inevitable - it happens to all teams. Look at LA, Chicago (last year and this one), Detroit, San Jose (a few years back), St. Louis, Boston (a few years ago) and others. The reality is that the ducks have had a better run than most of those teams (only LA, Boston and Chicago won cups). All of those runs end with a few bad season when the core is old and overpaid. It will happen to other teams as well (Pittsburgh and Washington come to mind). Its not a question of ownership's willingness to spend (though that was an issue when the team was in its window). It is the result of the current cap and CBA structure.

The key is to limit the down years and quickly retool. The question is whether BM is the right guy to to that - we know RC isn't but we also know he'll be gone soon enough. Hyperventilating over RC for the next few months is missing the bigger picture.

We also know that BM just signed an extension, so he'll be around for a few more years at least. The next 18 months will show us whether he's up to the job.

And just to be clear, I expect next year to be better, but not necessarily a playoff year. Definitely not a cup contending team but the on-ice product will be better. This team is 2-3 years away from taking a big step forward. For fans to threaten to cancel season tickets, etc., during that period is, in my opinion, shortsighted and silly.

Reactions: GeraldDucksworth

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It’s the dmen that should be in their primes who have turned into pumpkins and Gibson that worries me. Their confidence is destroyed right now.
It’s a legit concern but it’s been concerning me for at least a year now.

I agree with the idea that either the damage has already been done or they will rebound no matter what next year. Hope for the latter obviously but either way I think the right course is RC as Tank Commander

paine

Jun 4, 2007
My take on Randy Carlyle:

Bob Murray should have fired Carlyle months ago. But at this point, we’re better off picking top 5 in the draft. No better coach to help accomplish that than a coach the team quit on.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Randy and Bob both must go. Unfortunately unrealistic as Bob was just given an extension. Even while we were losing games.

He can't even die on the hill that is Randy as the owners suck as well.

Hoping for a good pick is what I've set my expectations to.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
My take on Randy Carlyle:

Bob Murray should have fired Carlyle months ago. But at this point, we’re better off picking top 5 in the draft. No better coach to help accomplish that than a coach the team quit on.

It’s a sound theory but I worry another 28 games of this could crush our dmen and goalies confidence and hurt them going forward. I mean we aren’t just losing, we are getting dominated in the scoring chance, shot and goal categories and our dmen went from being among the best puck movers in the league to turnover machines.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
It’s a sound theory but I worry another 28 games of this could crush our dmen and goalies confidence and hurt them going forward. I mean we aren’t just losing, we are getting dominated in the scoring chance, shot and goal categories and our dmen went from being among the best puck movers in the league to turnover machines.

And it also sends a message to current players, the prospects and potential free agents that the GM won't address the toxic situation that surrounds the Ducks. BM has created a culture of losing for Anaheim, and this is not good.

paine

Jun 4, 2007

Team will be fine next season under a new coach.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

paine

Jun 4, 2007
And it also sends a message to current players, the prospects and potential free agents that the GM won't address the toxic situation that surrounds the Ducks. BM has created a culture of losing for Anaheim, and this is not good.

A culture of losing? We’ve been very successful for a long time. One bad season won’t ruin our reputation.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Team will be fine next season under a new coach.

In a perfect world where players are robots maybe. I think you’re overestimating everyone’s ability to bounce back from horrific seasons. A lot will be absolutely fine but you only need to look at a guy like Fowler to see that when his confidence is low after an injury/prolonged slump how long it can take him to recover. It’s even more risky to assume a goalie can bounce back as so much of their game is built around mental toughness.

Reactions: Doothpick

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
A culture of losing? We’ve been very successful for a long time. One bad season won’t ruin our reputation.

It’s worse than just a bad season though. This year is some of the most lopsided hockey I’ve seen from a non expansion team.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Dallas Eakins to Troy Terry upon Terry's being sent down the first time...

"Hey, we want you to make plays. I don’t just want you to come up and dump the puck in. That’s not going to work here."

Somebody in the organization gets it. Perhaps there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :)
The bolded is probably why he's still coaching the Gulls.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
In a perfect world where players are robots maybe. I think you’re overestimating everyone’s ability to bounce back from horrific seasons. A lot will be absolutely fine but you only need to look at a guy like Fowler to see that when his confidence is low after an injury/prolonged slump how long it can take him to recover. It’s even more risky to assume a goalie can bounce back as so much of their game is built around mental toughness.

I think people are wildly underestimating it. I look at how Colorado bounced back after a historically year(without changing basically a thing even), how teams like Nashville, Washington and Pittsburgh and San Jose in recent years were able to come back after down years, maybe even Chicago this year, etc., and see that probably much more often than not this is pretty easy to come back from. It depends on the talent going forward, but I'm not really at all worried about the guys here having their confidence shattered or anything by one bad stretch. They're not robots but they're not like you or I either.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Yeah, but I’ll use Gibson.
Early on,there were some who felt he didn’t prepare and work hard enough, relying on his insane abilities too much. Groin injuries and snow angels were part of his early showing.

Then he noticeably worked crazy hard two summers ago, got his body better prepared and has improved both years until right now.
When you have a kid figure it out, and see his coach and organization seemingly not care about the disaster this year, it has to be a bit deflating after being asked to work harder and prepare better.

Should he be able to drive himself? Of course, but it still has to be deflating to watch this train wreck unfold in front of him every damned night

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010

Yes, a culture of losing. I'm not talking about reputation. Culture is internal; reputation is external. It doesn't necessarily take a long time to create a culture in a locker room. The dynamics in a locker room, the team's character, their confidence, or lack there of, and how they view themselves can change very quickly. It's not like society at large where things move more slowly. And it's not that they are losing; it's the way they are losing. You don't think these multiple consecutive losing streaks, the blowouts, the lack of scoring and the unstructured play by the team doesn't have an effect on the players and especially the younger players? And having the GM not address the situation except for throwing the players under the bus and saying publicly the team isn't talent (yet at the same time taking zero responsibility for the team he built) doesn't help either.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
I really don't think a team of pro athletes are going to be a bunch of snow flakes and crumble because of 1 piss poor season. Yes they are getting clobbered, but a refresh I think (in the form of a new coach in the off season) will truly do wonders for everyone.

Plus if its Dallas Eakins, we know we're getting some roster overhaul next year iwth some of the kids coming up from the gulls, they can be the ones to spread positivity and make the game fun again. I truly doubt that this 1 season will ruin all the players in our locker room for their career.

Tank Commander lead the charge!

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
At this point just shoot for Hughes and change coaches in the offseason. I doubt a new coach can shake up the locker room and change the culture quickly and effectively enough to make this team competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad