Confirmed with Link: Randy Lee to be arraigned in Buffalo court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This hyperbole is one superlative away from being discussed in the history books of exaggeration bordering on sheer ignorance
2 months ago i would have said the same thing... but lately... this really is turning into a gongshow.. and we are so far out of the spotlight usually..

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
I was told that Lee hasn't been to the office since the incident, so while he may not be suspended it does sound like he hasn't and won't be around until this is settled in court, for what it's worth.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was told that Lee hasn't been to the office since the incident, so while he may not be suspended it does sound like he hasn't and won't be around until this is settled in court, for what it's worth.

People seem hung up on no official statement from the team that he's been suspended. Not sure what an official statement would accomplish even if they did. I imagine, the team told him he could take administrative leave until this is settled, but it's possible he's working from home as well.

I suspect had he not gotten into this mess, he'd be responsible for the search for a coach in Belleville along with doing prep-work for the development camp. He's not a scout nor does he have that background, so Idk how much involvement he'd actually have in the draft. I could see him being there for the interviews at the combine for sure because of his background in fitness, and providing input there, but there's only so much you'd likely get out of him imo.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
This hyperbole is one superlative away from being discussed in the history books of exaggeration bordering on sheer ignorance

Ya, I think you are wrong here. This organization has been notoriously low key for years and suddenly we got bad news on a daily basis. Bryan Murray must have really done a good job putting bandaids on everything.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
People seem hung up on no official statement from the team that he's been suspended. Not sure what an official statement would accomplish even if they did. I imagine, the team told him he could take administrative leave until this is settled, but it's possible he's working from home as well.

I think a statement would be a positive PR move at best and we all know that this organization could really benefit from some positive PR.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I suspect had he not gotten into this mess, he'd be responsible for the search for a coach in Belleville along with doing prep-work for the development camp. He's not a scout nor does he have that background, so Idk how much involvement he'd actually have in the draft. I could see him being there for the interviews at the combine for sure because of his background in fitness, and providing input there, but there's only so much you'd likely get out of him imo.

I think its more about "“Randy Lee appeared in Buffalo City Court today and the hearing has been scheduled for late June,” the statement read. “His status with the organization remains unchanged. As the matter is pending before the court, no further statements will be issued at this time.” that part. Saying his status remains unchanged leads some , including me, to believe that everything is status quo.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I think that the organization is very committed to Randy Lee, so when this incident happened, they had to go through all five stages of grief. Right now they are still at denial.

Even if it happened along the lines that has been mentioned, and it wasn't predatory, but rather just a crude locker room type joke, it is still behaviour that warrants removal from his duties because of the negative attention and stigma that he has brought upon the club. It demonstrates an incredible amount of bad judgment. If an enterprise is important to you as an organization (AHL Sens and player development), you don't leave it in the hands of someone who has terrible judgment.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think a statement would be a positive PR move at best and we all know that this organization could really benefit from some positive PR.

There was a statement; the team acknowledged the alleged event, said it held all employees to the highest standard, and would provide more information when it became available.

I mean, I suppose they could have disclosed that they were doing their own internal investigation into it (I'd assume they are regardless of no official statement) along with any other administrative actions they are taking, but I'm not convinced that would really change anything. The team needs to balance competing risks; legal liabilities related to Lee's actions, Public relations, and ensuring they don't violate any of Lee's rights before it is determined whether or not any wrongdoing happened.

I think there strategy was probably hope this stays relatively quiet and out of the news cycle; they didn't want to air out their dirty laundry for all to see, rather, they hoped it could be handled behind closed doors and in the courts, and the appropriate action taken when due process had been done. I'm note sure I really blame them for that, even if it's found out that Lee was not in the wrong (as in the allegations were false) there is damage is done.

I think it's fair to give the org the benefit of the doubt until after this is settled in the courts. Their actions at that point will speak volumes.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think its more about "“Randy Lee appeared in Buffalo City Court today and the hearing has been scheduled for late June,” the statement read. “His status with the organization remains unchanged. As the matter is pending before the court, no further statements will be issued at this time.” that part. Saying his status remains unchanged leads some , including me, to believe that everything is status quo.

Randy Lee Status with Organization prior to event: Employed as AGM.
Randy Lee Status with Organization after event: Employed as AGM.

Yep, story checks out.

Honestly, I think you're reading too much into this. They are saying they will let due process take it's course before making any decisions.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think that the organization is very committed to Randy Lee, so when this incident happened, they had to go through all five stages of grief. Right now they are still at denial.

Even if it happened along the lines that has been mentioned, and it wasn't predatory, but rather just a crude locker room type joke, it is still behaviour that warrants removal from his duties because of the negative attention and stigma that he has brought upon the club. It demonstrates an incredible amount of bad judgment. If an enterprise is important to you as an organization (AHL Sens and player development), you don't leave it in the hands of someone who has terrible judgment.

Agreed on this. though even if they've transitioned to the anger stage, there's little value in putting into the open public. I think the odds are Lee is done in the NHL. Maybe the courts will settle in his favour, and I'm wrong, but the details of the allegations suggest that unless he's proven completely innocent, it will be very hard to keep him on in any role.

Reactions: slamigo

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ya, I think you are wrong here. This organization has been notoriously low key for years and suddenly we got bad news on a daily basis. Bryan Murray must have really done a good job putting bandaids on everything.

The difference between the Murray and Dorion eras has been staggering. Bryan must've been half saint, half bulldog, to keep this organization running smoothly all that time.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Coincidence or not, and not that I didn't respect the man before tremendously but judging by what has transpired since he has left us, the man must have had some sort of divine powers going on for keeping the leash on things/owners!

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Coincidence or not, and not that I didn't respect the man before tremendously but judging by what has transpired since he has left us, the man must have had some sort of divine powers going on for keeping the leash on things/owners!

Dorion is in way over his head here, especially given the fact that he has absolutely no help. How is one guy supposed to negotiate contracts with some very important upcoming UFAs and RFAs, he also has to run a draft and attempt to trade two HUGE pieces in EK and Hoff. He also has an AHL head coach to hire, sign some UFAs to fill the roster here and in Belleville, all since Randy Lee is busy waiting for a trial.

As much as I do not like PD as a GM of an NHL hockey club, have to feel for the guy, he is probably paid the least of any other GM in the league and has to do double, triple the work.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Randy Lee Status with Organization prior to event: Employed as AGM.
Randy Lee Status with Organization after event: Employed as AGM.

Yep, story checks out.

Honestly, I think you're reading too much into this. They are saying they will let due process take it's course before making any decisions.
apparently

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa

LOL.

Hyperbole? Either you have been living under a rock since November, you work for the organization or someone close to you works for the organization. I don't really care which....

....I hate that I despise everything about my favourite team as I am as die-hard as all of you, but it's staggering the way some will defend the team. I don't even care about a rebuild; we have been spoiled (less a Cup) for a long time and rebuilding the roster and prospect pool needs to happen everywhere when it makes sense (the length of time said rebuild takes depends largely on the competency of the brain power). The problem I have is our brain power (or string-pullers) have left me zero optimism that the ship can be turned around anytime soon.

You can discredit any of this and I respect any opinion (mostly), but the very last thing the Ottawa Senators needed right now is one of the only respected people in the organization in court on allegation of harassment of a 19-year old. Perhaps any other organization could have digested and deflected it, but with the amount of nonsense and disconnect between the fans, the city and the organization, not ours. So yes, when you consider everything that has happened between December and present, the organization continues to walk in the wrong direction, weeks before we are rumoured to be trading away a player we will never see the likes of again. I do agree that everything in the last 7-months could be mistaken for exaggeration. I wish it was.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
LOL.

Hyperbole? Either you have been living under a rock since November, you work for the organization or someone close to you works for the organization. I don't really care which....

....I hate that I despise everything about my favourite team as I am as die-hard as all of you, but it's staggering the way some will defend the team.

I'm not defending anybody, I just think you are severely underestimating the "history books of ineptitude and shame of poorly run pro-sports teams" . Like, severely. If they trade Karlsson (and I still consider that a pretty big If), they'll certainly get their foot in the door. I would bet though that most fans of other teams have at best barely registered the Randy Lee situation.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I have to agree that this situation is beyond horrible so the hyperbole police will probably let it slide.

It's to the point now that if this were the Leafs, I would be past the point of personally enjoying their misery. I would actually be starting to get concerned about them. That's saying something.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
well he alledgedly physically restrained melnyk from entering the sens dressing room during a playoff game...

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Always loved BM ,still think if we had anybody else but a lunatic running the show he would have gone down as one of the teams best ever gm/coach....He defended this team and city until the bitter end

Reactions: Upgrayedd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad