Randy Lee pleads guilty

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
a bottom dweller for a decade?

A new low for you. I think you embarrassed yourself with that one.

Overall, with all the bad media starting the year he took over Emery and with Heatley (which was an absolute gong show summer if you remember, failed trade, tons of negativity and Heatley becoming the most hated man in hockey) to the coaching turnstile, falling attendance, Spezza/Alfie and Murray even saying Alfie lied to the public about the negotiations because Murray couldn’t find Alfies phone number (this is a true story if you can even belive it) - the go blow yourself up non-rebuild; enabling players like Karlsson, another failed Spezza trade to Nashville, another failed Redden trade to NYR - I like Murray as a person but there was a serious lack of leadership in Ottawa with him here and the cracks started showing almost immediately when he took over, let’s just say his tenure was the worst period of Senators history since they moved the the Palladium, if you remember at that time Ottawa was considered a model franchise with elite character players (Fisher, Kelly, Neil, Alfie, Redden) and development - that has all evaporated, and there’s lots of blame to go around, but Murray’s record is not good. Even the drafting which he gets a ton of credit for was bad, and development of players even worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stylizer1

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Overall, with all the bad media starting the year he took over Emery and with Heatley (which was an absolute gong show summer if you remember, failed trade, tons of negativity and Heatley becoming the most hated man in hockey) to the coaching turnstile, falling attendance, Spezza/Alfie, the go blow yourself up non-rebuild; enabling players like Karlsson, another failed Spezza trade to Nashville - I like Murray as a person but there was a serious lack of leadership in Ottawa with him here and the cracks started showing almost immediately when he took over

none of which resulted in this team being a bottom dweller for a decade which is what you said.

it's ok tuna...just fess up and admit you may have exaggerated there a bit

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
this particular crap has nothing to do with ownership unless there is a proven scenario where ownership was aware of past behaviour and covered it up

But it is certainly a symptom of a dysfunctional organization. And it took way to long to fire Randy Lee, at the very least he should have been immediately suspended pending further investigation, and that's on Melnyk. Melnyk's silence on this issue has also been very disturbing to me, pathetic in fact and indefensible. But it's par for the course for this organization.

Reactions: thinkwild and Gesus

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
this particular crap has nothing to do with ownership unless there is a proven scenario where ownership was aware of past behaviour and covered it up

See I disagree . It's no different at your work place. If your boss is incompetent , has outbursts, often breaks the rules , typically the employees follow suit.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
But it is certainly a symptom of a dysfunctional organization. And it took way to long to fire Randy Lee, at the very least he should have been immediately suspended pending further investigation, and that's on Melnyk. Melnyk's silence on this issue has also been very disturbing to me, pathetic in fact and indefensible. But it's par for the course for this organization.

it's not a symptom of anything in the organization

I'm hesitant to accuse anyone of anything on a public forum but I will say this: one thing we've learned over the past 20 years is that there are predators lurking everywhere. we've got local school situations here dating back 30 to 40 years where they clearly knew they were employing predators and did nothing. in this instance that connection has not been made...yet. if it's made then the org is in part responsible

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
See I disagree . It's no different at your work place. If your boss is incompetent , has outbursts, often breaks the rules , typically the employees follow suit.

well your posting in the Randy Lee thread....and imo that's not on the org.

all the other crap...for sure I agree

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
none of which resulted in this team being a bottom dweller for a decade which is what you said.

it's ok tuna...just fess up and admit you may have exaggerated there a bit
Not a bottom dweller but a less than average team. Murray was stuck in not sticking to a rebuild and making trades which hurt it. Murray's ego as a GM was his biggest issue.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Not a bottom dweller but a less than average team. Murray was stuck in not sticking to a rebuild and making trades which hurt it. Murray's ego as a GM was his biggest issue.
BM had to deal with the same bat shit crazy and cheap owner back then as well

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I couldn't be bothered to do so but I suspect if you count playoff series wins since the 04 05 lockout we are above average

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
it's not a symptom of anything in the organization

I'm hesitant to accuse anyone of anything on a public forum but I will say this: one thing we've learned over the past 20 years is that there are predators lurking everywhere. we've got local school situations here dating back 30 to 40 years where they clearly knew they were employing predators and did nothing. in this instance that connection has not been made...yet. if it's made then the org is in part responsible

It was the response by the organization - or more specifically lack thereof - after Lee got arrested and spent the night in jail. There was literally nothing appropriate done by this organization and I hope the victim is successful with his lawsuit.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hey guys, just a friendly reminder that this thread is about Randy Lee and his legal troubles, not Murray's record as a GM. If you are looking to talk about Murray's tenure, great! Here's a link to a thread dedicated to it:

Official Bryan Murray Discussion Thread

I know, it's kind of old, but that's just because the topic hasn't been relevant for so damn long...

Cheers,

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
At the time the initial story broke and info started trickling out, i thought no way could he have been so bold in his violation of the persons rights.

Now that we know the truth... holy f***ing shit. This guys has had his hands (literally) on almost every preospect to come through this organization for how many years.

Even guys like Spezza and Alfie may be wondering about interactions they had with him here. We now know Randy Lee's true desires for young men a third his age and he was responsible for handling all of them here for so many years. This is probably the biggest stain on the organization out of anything. Can't imagine he turned in to a creep overnight for this one incident, he was likely in this profession for the access it gave him, just like so many before him.

If they could implicate Melnyk in this, that could be more damaging than any of the other drama he's created.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Desmond alleged the Senators are liable because they continued to employ Lee despite being aware of him doing similar things in the past."

The tone Melnyk has set for this organization did not turn out honorably in this situation either.

Cant decide if I want to know more about those similar things or I don’t. If by similar things it was referring to players Lee was developing, then that’s one thing, but if that has never occurred, and I havent yet heard a rumour or even implication about that before, then after a night in jail, a couple hundred dollar fine, and I guess losing his job, the legal system seems to be pronouncing that a sort of misdemeanour creepiness, I guess that’s a nuance, but is tarring him as predator premature given what is publicly known now? Or am i making a distinction without a difference?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
At the time the initial story broke and info started trickling out, i thought no way could he have been so bold in his violation of the persons rights.

Now that we know the truth... holy ****ing ****. This guys has had his hands (literally) on almost every preospect to come through this organization for how many years.

Even guys like Spezza and Alfie may be wondering about interactions they had with him here. We now know Randy Lee's true desires for young men a third his age and he was responsible for handling all of them here for so many years. This is probably the biggest stain on the organization out of anything. Can't imagine he turned in to a creep overnight for this one incident, he was likely in this profession for the access it gave him, just like so many before him.

If they could implicate Melnyk in this, that could be more damaging than any of the other drama he's created.
i remember a seeing a tweet a full year before bus incident where randy lee was accused of being creepy to the people who work at the arena.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Now that we know the truth... holy ****ing ****. This guys has had his hands (literally) on almost every preospect to come through this organization for how many years.

The turd icing on the cake is that Melnyk hired his own lawyer for this and the team put out a statement pretty mocking the “harassment” charge.

f*** this organization.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Hey guys, just a friendly reminder that this thread is about Randy Lee and his legal troubles, not Murray's record as a GM. If you are looking to talk about Murray's tenure, great! Here's a link to a thread dedicated to it:

Official Bryan Murray Discussion Thread

I know, it's kind of old, but that's just because the topic hasn't been relevant for so damn long...

Cheers,

Hey Micklebot, I read you loud and clear. I'm going to go bump that thread RFN!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I am not going to jump to a conclusion regarding Lee and the team when all there is to view is a guilty plea to a first offense and another allegation mentioned in a news report. But I don't like the situation and there is certainly enough evidence to raise concerns aboyt the org. If it turns out that the facts support the allegation of previous incidents and a team cover-up of them, then let the team will receive the criticism that it deserves.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
my guess is the sens don't condone these activities but need to make sure before firing him, he was suspended though right?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
my guess is the sens don't condone these activities but need to make sure before firing him, he was suspended though right?

Randy Lee was suspended on June 15th and the accusation came to light on June 1st.

In between those two dates, Eugene Melnyk hired him a lawyer and in their press release, the team called out that this was a "non-criminal" offense. Their first reaction was to minimize the event and sweep it under the rug, and only suspended Lee after growing public criticism.

Melnyk and Dorion would have had no problem keeping Lee in his role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad