Randy Carlyle Presser at 11AM|1/7/13|

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Source?

He's property of the Marlies for this season, so I would think that another NHL team would need to get permission from the Marlies/Leafs to even have discussions with him.

I think legally, it would just be the Marlies.

Knowing Burke's background I doubt he would stand in the way of Ranger signing a NHL contract anywhere.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I say him and Rielly are two different players. Plus I think Rielly still needs a full season in the WHL based on his injury frim last season.

The two are as similar as they come. 18 year old offensive defensemen with very little to prove offensively in juniors.

Carlyle might be right to think that he can teach Rielly how better to position in the defensive zone than the coaching staff at Moose Jaw.

SteveV*

Just a quick note on Randy's comments on the goaltending. Whatever he said is meaningless, he will not question who we have now, he will attempt to appear quite confident, he will not say "man, these two bums scare me, get her done Burkie!", so listening to TSN analyze his comments are pure hilarity.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
The two are as similar as they come. 18 year old offensive defensemen with very little to prove offensively in juniors.

Carlyle might be right to think that he can teach Rielly how better to position in the defensive zone than the coaching staff at Moose Jaw.

"Hey Rielly, go try this thing you haven't tried before against the best players in the world, and see how it goes!"..

versus

"Hey Rielly, go try this thing you haven't tried before against players that you're quite a bit better than"..

It would probably go much better in the second scenario... Which he could then build off of and be able to do it against the best of the best in the future.

No reason to rush him.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
"Hey Rielly, go try this thing you haven't tried before against the best players in the world, and see how it goes!"..

versus

"Hey Rielly, go try this thing you haven't tried before against players that you're quite a bit better than"..

It would probably go much better in the second scenario... Which he could then build off of and be able to do it against the best of the best in the future.

No reason to rush him.

This .. However with a short camp, Carlyle won't have much time to work with Rielly .. So I can see Carlyle giving Rielly a few games with the Leafs before sending him back down so he can get a glimpse of what the show is about and give him perspective on what he has to work on

Kyle Doobas*

versus

No reason to rush him.
That's a really silly false dilemma. Why wouldn't you want to play him against tougher competition and see how it goes? If he shows that he's ready to play at the NHL level, then it's not 'rushing' at all. If he's not, then you send him back.

Sam Slick*

Says he caught a lot of AHL games early in the season. Praises for Dallas.

Expects high paced, tempo, physical games (due to the shortened season) and understands that every game and points are critical.

Really? Wow. No other teams do that.....:sarcasm:

Any PeeWee coach could have said that.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

versus

No reason to rush him.

If he can continuously out skate his opponents in junior, he won't have a need to better position himself in the defensive zone. And his coach would have little incentive to teach him.

Not every weakness will be overcome by playing against a weaker opponent.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I don't see what would be wrong with Rielly making the team. The way he plays in MJ isn't the same way he could play with the Leafs.

People keep talking about development, the best way for someone of his playstyle to develop is to play against men, not kids.

Darylman

Aug 1, 2009
Yes Ranger can be invited to any NHL teams training camp and sign with any NHL team.

No he can't...you can't simply walk out on an AHL contract because you feel like it. He can only go to Leafs camp unless Burke specifically gives permission.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The way he answered the goalie question was funny.

"we have two nhl quality goaltenders"

Well no **** :laugh:

Thanks for the breakdown, must have took forever to post that.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->