Randy Carlyle appreciation thread

meenamjah

Apr 8, 2012
It's more of an indirect RW bashing thread, I guess.

Team doesn't look totally lost in the defensive zone, and no longer incompetent in PK and defence. Team plays tough now, and aren't the push overs of years past.

Pretty much the same team from previous years, but man, what a difference Carlyle has made.

Count Von Grabo*

This team is different than past years. Young guys that can play are now big pieces of the team. Kadri, JVR, Frattin, etc. Seemed like before it was a slow veteran team, or in the past couple years a young team that lacked skill and size.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Great, great coach.

Him and eakins have alot in common IMO, just he's much more experienced, they are both passionate about the game, both communicate alot with the players and are definitely willing to be proven wrong rather than be stubborn like say wilson was(playing vets over kids).

I love a coach that communicates and is willing to put confidence in the kids.

This team is STARTING to show an identity, the pieces are starting to come together, should be a solid season, and I can only hope we really start building on it.

I have a feeling we're about to start an era of deep playoff contention, maybe not this year or next(I expect a couple first round exits) but within a few seasons for sure.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
There are a lot of personnel choices that he makes that confuse and upset me (Kostka on the powerplay, Phaneuf playing as much as he does on some nights).

But it's hard to argue against what he's done for this team.

Solid system, with all players knowing their roles both with and without the puck.

A much better neutral zone setup than we've ever had under Wilson.

Solid communication with his players. Liles will tell you exactly why he's scratched, whereas Franson had to find out he was scratched via the big screen at the ACC during warm-ups.

What I like most about him though, is that it doesn't matter how good or bad his players play, he always seems to maintain such a level headed approach. Never getting carried away. I think that resonates with the players as well. They seem to be taking it one game at a time,.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
This team is different than past years. Young guys that can play are now big pieces of the team. Kadri, JVR, Frattin, etc. Seemed like before it was a slow veteran team, or in the past couple years a young team that lacked skill and size.

I thought we had alot of skill, but hardly any size.

JVR has been a key addition, Frattin has also given us key scoring, both very necessary going forward.

the 2010 and 2011 seasons we were all speed, all skill, no defense, no goaltending and no size whatsoever, last year we had a hot start due to our skill, but our goaltending and system just spelled disaster.

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
The team looks structured, they look focused for most of the game, and they look prepared to play. Something we haven't seen consistently since Pat Quinn. Paul Maurice did a good job with what he had in 06-07, but Carlyle really has this team buying in right now.

Ron Wilson's 2011-12 Leafs had a good start like this, but you could see the glaring holes in our defensive game. I think we were close to leading the NHL in goals against early on last year..

2011-12 - 10-6-2 start - 51 GF/60 GA (-9)
2012-13 - 11-7-0 start - 51 GF/41 GA (+10)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad