Random thought I just had (re: deflections)

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Not sure where this thread should go, but I figured people who played would get what I'm saying.

Wouldn't it make more sense for players who deflect pucks into the nets to get assists instead of goals? To me, it makes more sense that the guy deflecting the puck is assisting the shooter in scoring more than the person shooting the puck is assisting the deflector. I would consider a shooter's goal a deflection that doesn't involve the shooter adding momentum towards the net to the puck (i.e. a cross-ice pass that gets deflected up to the top shelf by a guy in front would give credit to the guy deflecting it, but a shot from the point that gets redirected would credit the shooter with the goal).

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Not sure where this thread should go, but I figured people who played would get what I'm saying.

Wouldn't it make more sense for players who deflect pucks into the nets to get assists instead of goals? To me, it makes more sense that the guy deflecting the puck is assisting the shooter in scoring more than the person shooting the puck is assisting the deflector. I would consider a shooter's goal a deflection that doesn't involve the shooter adding momentum towards the net to the puck (i.e. a cross-ice pass that gets deflected up to the top shelf by a guy in front would give credit to the guy deflecting it, but a shot from the point that gets redirected would credit the shooter with the goal).

The objectivity involved would cause too many problems. Some people could argue they deserved a goal for their deflections. Also, I have scored and have witnessed many deflection-goals that would not have been goals had they not been deflected. Shots the get deflected top corner or 5-hole often would not get through without the tip in.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
interesting thought non the less. but the above poster is right. too many "shots" on net are designed as a play to be tipped in.

Puckboy

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
interesting thought non the less. but the above poster is right. too many "shots" on net are designed as a play to be tipped in.

Exactly what I was going to say. What if the shot/pass was going to go wide would that still be the shooter/passers goal. There is an art to the deflection and some people(Not me) are great at it and deserve credit.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I think the person who does the deflecting should get the goal. Its much harder to pull his part off than to get a shot off. They have to maintain position in the most dangerous area to be in AND be able to get that stick on the puck.

Arent deflections off a team mates body/skate that causes a goal credited to the shooter?

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
Arent deflections off a team mates body/skate that causes a goal credited to the shooter?

No, the last person on the scoring team to touch the puck gets the goal. P.J. Axelsson was credited with a goal that bounced off his chest last week. Brad Boyes, the shooter, got the assist.

BTW, if a player puts the puck in his own goal the same rule applies -- last player from the opposing side to touch it gets the goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad