Recalled/Assigned: Random Rangers Recalls

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
OK, but at some point they're going to have to play a backup.

A couple of years ago, the Predators would recall Jussi Saaros every time they wanted their backup to start a game and would then re-assign him back to Milwaukee whenever they didn't need him for that. I was thinking the Rangers might do that this year, but then they started the season with Georgiev up.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
A couple of years ago, the Predators would recall Jussi Saaros every time they wanted their backup to start a game and would then re-assign him back to Milwaukee whenever they didn't need him for that. I was thinking the Rangers might do that this year, but then they started the season with Georgiev up.

We talked about it during offseason how Georgiev should be able to get enough games between NHL and AHL to continue his development. Getting send to AHL if he became Hank's backup was addressed then too, so it shouldn't be surprising. We should expect more of this throughout the season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Anytime the Rangers have multiple days off, a game or two, then multiple additional games off, it will be Hank. And if this overlaps a weekend, Georgiev should go down and pick up a couple starts. So yeah, this is expected and should continue.

Walter t

Mar 12, 2018
I think I'd rather have Tokarski up but that is not, as they say, the hill I would choose to die on.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think I'd rather have Tokarski up but that is not, as they say, the hill I would choose to die on.

I don't think it matters who joins the team during practice. When the Rangers play again, this weekend, Georgiev will be back on the team

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pack have a Friday night game followed by a 4 p.m. game Saturday in Toronto. Rangers play Sunday night at home. You could easily get Georgiev two starts and then have him back in New York Saturday night to backup Sunday.

Of course, if you did that, and Georgiev was pressed into duty, he'd be playing three straight days. Maybe not ideal. I could actually see them rolling with Mazanec as the #2 on Sunday then making the transaction after the game. I mean if Lundqvist gets pulled we're probably f***ed for that game regardless of what Mazanec does, or if Lundqvist gets hurt then we have problems more serious than one game against Calgary.

Anyway, it will be kinda fun to see how they handle this all year. They should let Georgiev use his own his own frequent flyer numbers. :laugh:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not unexpected and I suspect we’ll see similar approaches throughout the year.

It’s almost easy to forget that Georgiev hasn’t even played 50 combined games in North America yet. The kid needs playing time.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I want no part of Mazanec starting. He blows.

This is fine if it's just to get Georgiev some work.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
MM saves <86% of the shots he faces? This must be a joke. How is he even in the AHL?

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Sure Aleksandar needs games.. and we should give him starts in Hartford.. i really dont want to have Tokarski or Mazanek playing in the NHL tho..

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
another prospect devalued and possibly ruined by Quinn and fake rebuild.
f50156e882b79108e3ef3e36f5640b7a.jpg

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
Good move for Georgiev's development, but I'd much prefer if he just stayed with the big club and got ~30 starts. The media have been harping on Quinn's listening to Hank and allowing Hank to start himself in back-to-backs, but that doesn't mean it's actually a good idea. There's no reason Hank needs to getting 60 starts this year.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I scanned the title in passing and thought "Marek Malik?!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad