Random Hockey Thought: Colorado Rockies

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
So maybe everyone knows this but I didn't and wasn't even born yet so maybe that is one reason why. If Wayne Gretzky went into the first entry draft in 1979 where the Colorado Rockies had the first pick, would he have created enough of an impact that the team never moved and we would have the Rockies still instead of the Avs? I was trying to figure out when Gretzky was drafted and was intrigued to find he wasn't due to league merger and existing contract issues.

Maybe some more knowledgeable fans can weight in or educate me a little on whether it would have been possible or if the team would have moved regardless.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's an interesting hypothetical question, but in actuality they could have got Gretzky, but he decided to stay with the Oilers.

In 1979 the NHL lowered the draft age from 20 to 19 and made all underage players in the WHA draft eligible as well. All the WHA teams were given the option to protect two goaltenders and two skaters, but Gretzky wasn't eligible to be protected because technically he was draft eligible.

Gretzky would have been draft eligible if he had a standard player contract like everyone else, but instead he had a personal services contract with Edmonton's owner Peter Pocklington. So the NHL couldn't void this.

The only way for him to have become draft eligible was if Gretzky voided the contract himself, but he chose not to, because the Rockies were a last place team struggling to compete at the time.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
It's an interesting hypothetical question, but in actuality they could have got Gretzky, but he decided to stay with the Oilers.

In 1979 the NHL lowered the draft age from 20 to 19 and made all underage players in the WHA draft eligible as well. All the WHA teams were given the option to protect two goaltenders and two skaters, but Gretzky wasn't eligible to be protected because technically he was draft eligible.

Gretzky would have been draft eligible if he had a standard player contract like everyone else, but instead he had a personal services contract with Edmonton's owner Peter Pocklington. So the NHL couldn't void this.

The only way for him to have become draft eligible was if Gretzky voided the contract himself, but he chose not to, because the Rockies were a last place team struggling to compete at the time.

Thanks, I knew someone would have a better grasp than me on the whole situation, I just found it pretty interesting when looking at it.

For the record though I am glad things went the way that they did and we have the Avs. It's such a better hockey team name than the Rockies.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->