Random Gimmicks You Like For Some Reason...

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009

Oh God damned how could I forget La Parka.

tenor.gif

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I liked his theme song(see above)

In terms of gimmicks i liked. I loved Waylon Mercy. He would come to the ring all calm shake the guys hand and the second the bell ring he goes psycho

The character was ahead of it's time and would've gone over like crazy had it come out just 3 years later and had Spivey been 10-15 years younger.

Spivey had always been kind of vanilla to me up to that point, but man did he absolutely nail that character.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The character was ahead of it's time and would've gone over like crazy had it come out just 3 years later and had Spivey been 10-15 years younger.

Spivey had always been kind of vanilla to me up to that point, but man did he absolutely nail that character.

I always wonder what happened to Mercy(he just disappeared) then I found out later he had back issues.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Waylon Mercy had potential as a gimmick, but even if Spivey's health was fine it would have been limited by how much Spivey sucked.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Was never a fan at the time, but Papa Shango had me scared as a kid. I know it was voted as a horrible gimmick, but considering that's what WWF was all about it was a real good gimmick. Ultimate Warrior puking will never be forgotten.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Was never a fan at the time, but Papa Shango had me scared as a kid. I know it was voted as a horrible gimmick, but considering that's what WWF was all about it was a real good gimmick. Ultimate Warrior puking will never be forgotten.
I liked Papa Shango a ton more than the Godfather gimmick, I loved the Warrior feud and how he worked the character in general.

Another gimmick that randomly sprung to mind that hasn't been mentioned yet...Yokozuna. His music, his entrance, throwing salt around the ring, his pre-match ritual taken right from real sumo wrestling, the Bonzai drop as a finisher...not many gimmicks are scripted this well.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
looking back I like the Brodus Clay "Funkasaurus" gimmick for 1 reason.

it was clearly given to him to kill his character and move him out the door and instead he goes out and sticks it to them by actually getting it over.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I liked "American Badass" Undertaker

There, I said it.

-His entrance didn't take 20 minutes
-He actually had charisma
-Decent moveset in the ring, with a great finisher

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I liked "American Badass" Undertaker

There, I said it.

-His entrance didn't take 20 minutes
-He actually had charisma
-Decent moveset in the ring, with a great finisher

same.

the entrance was really good with the Kid Rock song...but was not nearly as good after that.

this version of the song/entrance was the best:

plus his return at Judegement Day 2000 was the mother of all pops

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I wasn't a fan of American Badass, but the hate for him is admittedly overblown. The gimmick was fine and it was firmly in Undertaker's in-ring prime. The only issue is that it was a pretty stark departure from his very well established gimmick.

I enjoy Ernie Ladd's gimmick that was at times basically black racist. What made it inspired was that Ladd was racist against everyone, including black people.

I also enjoy Chris Nowinski's Harvard gimmick. Simple but effective heel gimmick.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Simon Dean was awful but he was a really good worker in ECW as Nova...wore superhero-inspired gear. A good high-flyer before WWE did all that to him. At least they allowed Scorpio to still be athletic in the ring when they re-packaged him as Flash Funk.

I still can't get over that Justin Credible was Aldo Montoya.

Some of my favorite dumb gimmicks in the later years of ECW...

* Roadkill...loved that tag team with Danny Doring.

* Mikey Whipwreck's late run as the demonic pryo when he tagged with Tajiri.

* Kid Kash when he was so obviously ripping off Kid Rock's look.

* FBI was such a silly gimmick but Little Guido was a very solid wrestler. Loved the cruiserweight rivalry between him and Super Crazy and Tajiri.

*The Hot Commodity stable with EZ Money who had fake paper money attached to his tights. I think he was supposed to be a male stripper gimmick.

*Scotty Riggs after he turned on RVD and Cyrus was pushing him with the clap gimmick.

*Simon and Swinger was so dumb...Simon has a problem!

*Really liked Jack Victory as a sidekick to Steve Corino.

*The TNN/Network gimmick with Cyrus as that TV contract was expiring.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Simon Dean was awful but he was a really good worker in ECW as Nova...wore superhero-inspired gear. A good high-flyer before WWE did all that to him. At least they allowed Scorpio to still be athletic in the ring when they re-packaged him as Flash Funk.

I still can't get over that Justin Credible was Aldo Montoya.

Some of my favorite dumb gimmicks in the later years of ECW...

* Roadkill...loved that tag team with Danny Doring.

* Mikey Whipwreck's late run as the demonic pryo when he tagged with Tajiri.

* Kid Kash when he was so obviously ripping off Kid Rock's look.

* FBI was such a silly gimmick but Little Guido was a very solid wrestler. Loved the cruiserweight rivalry between him and Super Crazy and Tajiri.

*The Hot Commodity stable with EZ Money who had fake paper money attached to his tights. I think he was supposed to be a male stripper gimmick.

*Scotty Riggs after he turned on RVD and Cyrus was pushing him with the clap gimmick.

*Simon and Swinger was so dumb...Simon has a problem!

*Really liked Jack Victory as a sidekick to Steve Corino.

*The TNN/Network gimmick with Cyrus as that TV contract was expiring.

Little Guido = Nunzio, right? Or was that someone else?

Also, how did Johnny Stamboli not get more of a push in WWE? He should've been right up Vince's alley, with the sheer strength that guy had.

I mean, seriously...

That's just crazy. Who else could gorilla press Rikishi back then?

Reactions: Hypernova

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->