Random draft situation curiosity

Richards18Forever

Nov 15, 2006
philadelphia
let's say we somehow acquired the number 3 pick from Dallas for future picks and depth prospect and current depth players. (never happening but hear my question out)

so we drafted at #2. and now you have #3

What do you do?
Take a D, take a few, trade back to 5 then to 9?

what would everyone do in this situation?
(that will never happen)

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I haven't really paid much attention to this draft so I have no idea on who I would specifically target, but on principle I think I'd pick another forward and probably just focus more heavily on defense in the mid rounds.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Too acquire the #3 pick we probably would have needed to give up at least one of Giroux/Voracek/Simmonds.

We would then need to draft forward to make up for that missing offense.

I prefer Glass over Mittelstadt and Vilardi.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Take Casey Mittelstadt and run.

I'm no expert or anything, but from what I have been reading, Glass seems to be a longer-term project with potentially slightly more upside than Casey. Since we got the 2OA, who will be NHL ready, I think I'd go Glass. But it would be one of those two. And really, I'd be looking to move the pick to someone who craves Heiskanen in return for a nice big haul.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If we had won the 3rd pick I would have traded back to a team that wanted Heiskanen.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If we had won the 3rd pick I would have traded back to a team that wanted Heiskanen.

Yeah I would be contacting Vegas, Buffalo, and AZ to see if they want to leapfrog Colorado to grab him.

Then go to the Avs and play them against each other. See what shakes out.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I've seen quite a bit of Cody Glass, kid scores like crazy. Really hit his stride this year. I was surprised to see that he's listed as 6' 2, thought he was a bit shorter than that.

He'll be quite a player at the next level for sure.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I've seen quite a bit of Cody Glass, kid scores like crazy. Really hit his stride this year. I was surprised to see that he's listed as 6' 2, thought he was a bit shorter than that.

He'll be quite a player at the next level for sure.

He's like a 170 some lbs. that's what probably deceives the eye. He's really skinny right now.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I remember someone on this site saying he might still be growing. I don't know if it's true, but his dad and brother especially both look taller than him. With his really skinny build and just young appearance in general, it wouldn't surprise me. That would be interesting indeed if he grew more at 6'2" already. Not that he needs it, he just ideally needs 25 lbs.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
The second AND third OP would guarantee us 2 top-6 centers for the next 10-15 years too come.

Unfortunately Simmonds or Provorov (no way) would be gone. Can't see anyone else worth the pick.

Giroux and Voracek, given their contract status and mediocre season with their abilities, won't fetch the 3rd OP this year.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The second AND third OP would guarantee us 2 top-6 centers for the next 10-15 years too come.

Unfortunately Simmonds or Provorov (no way) would be gone. Can't see anyone else worth the pick.

Giroux and Voracek, given their contract status and mediocre season with their abilities, won't fetch the 3rd OP this year.

Ghost would get it done, I'd bet, especially considering Dallas' situation - but I wouldn't make that trade.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Are you saying it would take Simmonds and Provorov to acquire the 3rd overall pick?

That's pure lunacy.

It would take 3OA+ for Dallas to make a fair offer for Provorov.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Ghost would get it done, I'd bet, especially considering Dallas' situation - but I wouldn't make that trade.

I would strongly consider Ghost for #3 OA, if we really believe that there is a a #1/2 center there that will be ready in 3 years. It would set this year back a bit, but considering our d pipeline, it could be the kind of move that gives us an extensive window for success.

Consider this starting in 2019:

Giroux-2OA-Voracek
Lindblom-3OA-Konecny
Rubutsov-Coutourier-Schenn
TBD-Vorobiev-TBD

Provorov-Gudas
Morin-Sanheim
Hagg-Myers
Freidman, MacD

where TBD can include Laberge, Allison, MV, etc.

Last edited:

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
let's say we somehow acquired the number 3 pick from Dallas for future picks and depth prospect and current depth players. (never happening but hear my question out)

What do you do?

(that will never happen)[/QUOTE]

It is not worth moving to 3. I might think about the 20 area but that is it. With all the picks the Flyers have and the way this draft is set up I make our scouts earn their salaries and unearth some talent later. After all they got a gift at 2 so if they stay the course they have plenty of time till 44 to work on their board.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

What do you do?

(that will never happen)[/QUOTE]

It is not worth moving to 3. I might think about the 20 area but that is it. With all the picks the Flyers have and the way this draft is set up I make our scouts earn their salaries and unearth some talent later. After all they got a gift at 2 so if they stay the course they have plenty of time till 44 to work on their board.

Yeah I would rather keep the young and productive NHL player it would take to acquire that 3rd overall pick.

Moving up from the 2nd into the 20's is a lot more reasonable though.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
If they would take Simmonds you do it. He probably won't be back as this team will be getting younger and getting another top forward would replace Simmonds afew years down the road. Ghost 2 for that matter with all of our d prospects that will be be defensively and will still move the puck great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad