Random Car Thought Thread

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
When I take the Corolla people always try to race me. When I take the Volvo nobody tries to race me. I wish I had a car that looked like the Corolla but had 300 HP and AWD like the Volvo.

NowitzkisBrownNugget

Nov 11, 2007
About 20 years ago I had the thought as a kid that air conditioned seats are a much better idea than heated seats. Voila.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
Something about my RSX lures animals to their deaths. I've never hit an animal with my previous 2 cars but in this one I've hit like 5 birds and just today I ran over 2 chipmunks within 15 minutes of each other :dunno:

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
I did a 360 on a NY interstate (several years ago).

Driving I-280 out of NYC a day after a nor-easter came through the area. Plows were in progress on the interstate. Stupid plows went the other direction. Y branch and I wanted to go straight. Plowed snow formed a mini snow bank about up to the bottom of the front fender.

Decision time... I was also in a rear wheel drive rental car. Didint want to take the wrong direction detour.

Checked the rear view mirror. Completely clear for at least 2 miles behind me.

Screw it. Plow the bank. Snow bank was about at a 30 degree angle. Took my speed down (25 mph?). Front end started pushing out. Turned wheel all the way in the other direction to correct but the car wouldnt correct and kept sliding... so I flipped the wheel all the way in the other direction and did a perfect 360 donut on the interstate.

Checked my rearview mirror. Still all clear. Stomped on the gas. I was outofthere. Did snow command a favor by plowing a snow bank they should have taken care of already. Lazy plow drivers.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Fastest I ever went was 200km on the autobahn. Thats 120 mph for Mericans who cant math that. French 6 cylinder rental, downhill on a straightaway. Steering wheel begins to shake at 90mph+ so that when it becomes a good idea to start thinking about having both hands on the steering wheel. Also have your seat belt strapped in case of any tire blow mishap.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Fastest I ever went was 200km on the autobahn. Thats 120 mph for Mericans who cant math that. French 6 cylinder rental, downhill on a straightaway. Steering wheel begins to shake at 90mph+ so that when it becomes a good idea to start thinking about having both hands on the steering wheel. Also have your seat belt strapped in case of any tire blow mishap.

Crappy car lol. I did 180kmh in a Mk.7 Golf and it was surprisingly completely stable.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
A friend and I 'stole' my other friend's blue Plymouth Reliant, and had fluorescent orange racing stripes painted on it.

I tried to make out in the back of a Prius once. Not nearly enough room and it did not work. And I got the worst foot cramp ever. Had to walk that guy off for like a solid 5 mins all while the girl was laughing her ass off at me.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Once I did a series of 360 burnouts in my 81 Z28 coming out of a 7-11 at night. Totally meant to. Yup. That was completely intentional.

And that car was an absolute beast. 350, t tops, intermittent power windows...

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Crappy car lol. I did 180kmh in a Mk.7 Golf and it was surprisingly completely stable.

I did 210 (can't say the meter was 100% correct though :laugh: ) with my first purely own car. Honda Accord -87 EXi 2.0 To this day, it probably remains the highest speed I've ever driven. And I drive 275hp 2017 BMW these days. :laugh:

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I once drove my -73 El Camino (don't have it anymore) about 350 miles with one bolt in the right rear rim loose. The car was so smooth and the engine roared so hard that I didn't realize it was loose but it eat the whole bolt hole about three millimeters larger cause it kind of spun around in the hole.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
230 km/hr in a 99 cougar is the fastest ive ever went. In a 90. I was young and stupid once before. Now just stupid.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
When I take the Corolla people always try to race me. When I take the Volvo nobody tries to race me. I wish I had a car that looked like the Corolla but had 300 HP and AWD like the Volvo.

did you buy an s60r?

I really want one as a project, but after three horrible Audi's I'm super concerned about the cost:fun ratio.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Just came home after dropping my fiancee to work and as I was driving under a pedestrian bridge someone dropped a stone/ice boulder on my car and it went straight through my skylight. I'm moderately pissed at this moment.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Just came home after dropping my fiancee to work and as I was driving under a pedestrian bridge someone dropped a stone/ice boulder on my car and it went straight through my skylight. I'm moderately pissed at this moment.
Right now in Michigan a group of teenagers are being charged with all sorts of murder for throwing rocks/boulders off of a bridge and killing a guy driving on the highway.

Smart kids.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Right now in Michigan a group of teenagers are being charged with all sorts of murder for throwing rocks/boulders off of a bridge and killing a guy driving on the highway.

Smart kids.

Yeah, I suspect it was some kids here too. It was on the highway and I had 110km/h speed. Almost had a hearth attack when I suddenly heard a gigantic BAM!

Couldn't stop cause it was rush-hour I just saw few people on the bridge as I looked behind. Had they dropped the stone/ice boulder fraction of a second earlier it would have smashed directly on to my windshield and in that traffic anything could have happened.

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Moderately? I'd be murderously mad lol.

I was joking. I don't remember when I've last been seething as much. If I would have been able to catch the guys doing it I probably would be sitting in a holding cell right now. I usually drive with the cover hidden so the car has more natural light (or at winter it's cool to see stars) but for some reason I did have the cover inside the car on and it luckily didn't break so I didn't get glass in the car/on me.

I already have maintenance booked and will deliver the car there in few hours and insurance will cover all the costs but how f***ing stupid are people? It could have easily ended up in serious injury or worse.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
hit the speed governor at 114 mph in my old civic back when i didn't realize there was such a thing. Thought i blew up the car. Not sure it was smart to be going that fast...didn't even realize there were speed ratings on tires, etc.

Since then i've confirmed the governed speed on every one of my vehicles (all where they're advertised to be so far) except the new s3.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
hit the speed governor at 114 mph in my old civic back when i didn't realize there was such a thing. Thought i blew up the car. Not sure it was smart to be going that fast...didn't even realize there were speed ratings on tires, etc.

Since then i've confirmed the governed speed on every one of my vehicles (all where they're advertised to be so far) except the new s3.

S3 is 155 mph (250kph) I believe. Kind of weird the Germans govern most of their speeds (Porsche is a notable exception, though I've never taken my Cayman above 100-105mph let alone got anyway close to a top speed) considering the autobahn.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
S3 is 155 mph (250kph) I believe. Kind of weird the Germans govern most of their speeds (Porsche is a notable exception, though I've never taken my Cayman above 100-105mph let alone got anyway close to a top speed) considering the autobahn.

Yeah 155 is what the dealer told me. I guess i assumed they just limited the NA cars and left euro units alone. It IS weird though because even with a grain of salt what I can find on message boards a lot of these cars are stable at higher speeds (post-engine tuning). I also assumed Porsche's were governed over here. Was looking at a few used 997s before I bought the Audi but couldn't find the right combo of service records, price, and mileage i wanted for the price in a 4s. 911 has been my dream car since childhood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad