Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Blues have Elliot & Allen
San Jose just gave up a 1st+ for Jones and have Stalock
Vancouver just traded Lack because they were giving Markstrom the backup job
Edmonton just paid a bunch for Talbot & still have Scrivens
Arizona has Smith and just signed Lindback
Buffalo just paid a fortune for Lehner and have Johnson

The only way Hiller will be getting traded is in a goalie swap.

I tried telling people that Ortio was going to be sent down this year a while back but everyone is so paranoid about losing him on waivers that they won'y accept the odds of a goaltender being claimed when the market is flooded is extremely slim

Was that really the plan with Vancouver? I thought they'd gotten themselves in a hole with the Miller contract and couldn't move him, so they just dealt Lack because he had the highest stock as a goalie

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Was that really the plan with Vancouver? I thought they'd gotten themselves in a hole with the Miller contract and couldn't move him, so they just dealt Lack because he had the highest stock as a goalie
Nope, they said Miller was the guy and moved Lack because he had more value than Markstrom and they since since Markstrom to a 2 year deal.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I think he's right. What I've heard is there was a strong chance that Markstrom would head back overseas if there wasn't an NHL spot for him this season.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I think, considering the money we gave Rams, Hiller is being shopped.. A lot of time betweent now and the season opener, and we will not let Ortio get picked up on waivers.

If only Ramo could stay healthy though, it seems like every time he gets on a roll he tweaks or pulls something

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think, considering the money we gave Rams, Hiller is being shopped.. A lot of time betweent now and the season opener, and we will not let Ortio get picked up on waivers.

If only Ramo could stay healthy though, it seems like every time he gets on a roll he tweaks or pulls something
He's making 150k less than Hiller on a 1 year deal, how does that translate to Hiller being shopped? 2 goalies split time almost 50-50, making almost exactly the same. Seems like it makes perfect sense.

I think the rumors of Hiller & us being interested in other goaltenders were because Treliving had a plans a, b & c

I think plan A was to pick up a goaltender than could play 60+ games (Ward), with Ortio as the backup.
I think plan B was to pick up 2 new goaltenders (Duby/Talbot/Jones) and run with a 1a/b tandem again and send down Ortio.
I think plan C was to stand pat with Hiller/Ramo and send Ortio down.

I think Ramo signing was the result of plans A & B falling through.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This x 1000. There is a very small chance he's picked up. The goalie market right now is flooded with options. Teams aren't going to claim him and have to keep him up all year.
I don't know why this is so difficult for people to understand. Almost no one gets taken on waivers to start the season, you get the odd defenseman or forward go because of injuries during camp; but it is rare for a goaltender to go because teams will ensure they have their top 3-4 goalies in place heading into the season and even if there is an injury they would rather use their #3 guy who they can call up and down over one they will lose the moment they have to send him down. The only way IMO that Ortio is taken on waivers, is if a team has had one of the goaltenders sustain a severe injury that will keep them out most of the season.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
You're comfortable with Hiller/Ramo and losing Ortio to waivers?

Markstrom was a far better prospect than Ortio has been and he passed through waivers last season. The goalie market is fairly flooded with vets and waiver-eligible young Gs nowadays. There's only 60 NHL spots for Gs but there's a hell of a lot more that are capable of playing in the NHL, you just need to look at guys like Darling and Hammonds from last year.

It's not that crazy to think that an unproven Ortio, on a 1-way contract to boot, will pass through waivers.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Markstrom was a far better prospect than Ortio has been and he passed through waivers last season.

Markstrom was coming off a brutal 2013-14 season where his stock was minimal. Goalies' value have less to do with how "good of a prospect they are" and more to do with "what they've done lately at the NHL level". That's why Devan Dubnyk passed through waivers yet got traded for and placed into Vezina candidacy within ten months.

Ortio recently had a 4 game win streak where he posted a 1.25 GAA with a .956 in those games just last season, and caught the attention of the whole league in doing so. A team looking for a cheap, competent backup, particularily a team in our division - like the L.A. Kings who's familiar with Ortio - might see that Joni is worth taking a flier on. The Oilers might claim him as a big FU.

It's not that crazy to think that an unproven Ortio, on a 1-way contract to boot, will pass through waivers.

"will" pass through waivers or "could" pass through waivers?

Ortio is not Leland Irving here. If we do lose him to waivers and he goes on to have an all-star career it will have been the worst instance of Flames asset management since we bought out Martin St. Louis, because what we have right now are two decidedly mediocre 1B goaltenders plus Gillies who is years away.

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
When was the last time a team claimed a goalie prospect with less than 20 NHL starts? I don't remeber, do you? Because it doesn't happen. Teams don't like carrying 3 goalies and that's exactly what would have to happen if they claimed Ortio.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
When was the last time a team claimed a goalie prospect with less than 20 NHL starts? I don't remeber, do you? Because it doesn't happen. Teams don't like carrying 3 goalies and that's exactly what would have to happen if they claimed Ortio.
I'm not sure, I am trying to it up , but the last goaltender to be claimed on waivers in the NHL of any experience was when we picked up Joey MacDonald on Feb 11. 2013 unfortunately I can't find a list of waiver transactions from before 2012-13

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
On the off chance a team does claim Ortio, the Flames would be down to Gillies as the primary call up. Can't see the Flames risking that.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hillier traded for a goalie that's still waiver exempt at some point.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
On the off chance a team does claim Ortio, the Flames would be down to Gillies as the primary call up. Can't see the Flames risking that.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hillier traded for a goalie that's still waiver exempt at some point.
If by some bizarre scenario he did get claimed the Flames would simply sign another goaltender with some experience. Sign someone like Budaj to platoon with Gillies and be the emergency call-up until they think Gillies is ready.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Markstrom was a far better prospect than Ortio has been and he passed through waivers last season. The goalie market is fairly flooded with vets and waiver-eligible young Gs nowadays. There's only 60 NHL spots for Gs but there's a hell of a lot more that are capable of playing in the NHL, you just need to look at guys like Darling and Hammonds from last year.

In parts of 6 NHL seasons, Markstrom has only once had a GAA under 3, and SV% over .900. I can see why no teams were willing to take a shot at him since he appeared to be unable to translate his AHL success to the NHL. Ortio, on the other hand, although a very small sample size, has put up pretty similar numbers in each league, and looked to be capable of having NHL success, I think it would be foolish to even risk losing Ortio to waivers, no matter how small of a chance he has at being claimed.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In parts of 6 NHL seasons, Markstrom has only once had a GAA under 3, and SV% over .900. I can see why no teams were willing to take a shot at him since he appeared to be unable to translate his AHL success to the NHL. Ortio, on the other hand, although a very small sample size, has put up pretty similar numbers in each league, and looked to be capable of having NHL success, I think it would be foolish to even risk losing Ortio to waivers, no matter how small of a chance he has at being claimed.
Most of Marstrom's NHL games were with a bottom feeding Panthers team. All of Ortio's games were after the Canucks brawl where the Flames have been a very good team. This plays a huge part. If Treliving feels Ortio is not ready for 30+ games in the NHL then it would be foolish not to put him on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad