The Athletic Ralph Krueger - “We’re Building Sabres Hockey Here"

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Inside the offseason organizational coaching summit designed... (paywall)

BUFFALO, N.Y. – They walked into the room more than a dozen strong, each carrying their own recipe for winning. Ralph Krueger’s goal was to combine the best ingredients – a sprinkle of Rochester’s defense, a dash of Cincinnati’s offense, a spoonful of his own special teams – and cook up one cohesive dish to feed the whole organization.

“We’re building Sabres hockey here,” Krueger said.

The meetings, which took place ahead of the team’s Prospects Challenge in early September, were comprehensive. The entire coaching staffs for Buffalo, Rochester and Cincinnati, including assistants and video personnel, sat down for free-flowing conversations about game plans, practice sessions and player relationships.

Krueger's putting his stamp on the organization. It's obvious Botterill trusts him and has given him a lot of freedom.

During the coaching summit, they established a specific language to use in all three dressing rooms. So when a player goes from Cincinnati to Rochester or the Amerks to the Sabres, he won’t be confused by terminology.

It's unbelievable that they were using different terminology.

I think Krueger is here for the long-term. Being head coach isn't enough for him. Being given a key role in building an organization is what he wanted and he got it. From the article it sounds like Amerks coach Chris Taylor and Cyclone's coach Matt Thomas are thrilled to be included in the process.
“It’s starting to feel like home here, which is what you look for before the season starts. We’ve solidified a way to play that we believe is going to give us a chance to be competitive every night.”

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
**It went on from there, zone by zone and situation by situation. And during every conversation, the Krueger asked each coach how he played his system in the past and how he preferred to do it in the future.......

.....The coaching summit was more than just theory. They put their ideas to practical use. The coaches split into groups and mapped out practice sessions, each one designed to teach players a different topic. Then those designs came to life on the ice during the prospect tournament and training camp.

“That was neat just to get different viewpoints with different coaches at different levels on how they would design a practice that is comprehensive on, say, breakouts and maybe forecheck,” Thomas said. “Then each group presented to the rest of the group on their area that they met with. It was just a really eye-opening way of including everybody and getting their thoughts on different ways to practice the systems that we had just spent a full day talking about.”**

This starts to gives me hope Krueger can be the answer to our coaching needs. Time will tell obviously , but this stuff is very encouraging.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Inside the offseason organizational coaching summit designed... (paywall)

BUFFALO, N.Y. – They walked into the room more than a dozen strong, each carrying their own recipe for winning. Ralph Krueger’s goal was to combine the best ingredients – a sprinkle of Rochester’s defense, a dash of Cincinnati’s offense, a spoonful of his own special teams – and cook up one cohesive dish to feed the whole organization.

“We’re building Sabres hockey here,” Krueger said.

The meetings, which took place ahead of the team’s Prospects Challenge in early September, were comprehensive. The entire coaching staffs for Buffalo, Rochester and Cincinnati, including assistants and video personnel, sat down for free-flowing conversations about game plans, practice sessions and player relationships.

Krueger's putting his stamp on the organization. It's obvious Botterill trusts him and has given him a lot of freedom.

During the coaching summit, they established a specific language to use in all three dressing rooms. So when a player goes from Cincinnati to Rochester or the Amerks to the Sabres, he won’t be confused by terminology.

It's unbelievable that they were using different terminology.

I think Krueger is here for the long-term. Being head coach isn't enough for him. Being given a key role in building an organization is what he wanted and he got it. From the article it sounds like Amerks coach Chris Taylor and Cyclone's coach Matt Thomas are thrilled to be included in the process.
“It’s starting to feel like home here, which is what you look for before the season starts. We’ve solidified a way to play that we believe is going to give us a chance to be competitive every night.”

Its amazing but not surprising they didn’t have uniform terminology with how much of a dolt Housley was.

Reactions: Rasmi

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
It blows my mind if this isn't common. Speaking the same language is the first step to cohesion.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
read this article earlier in the day and found it very exciting. Housley's approach did not seem nearly as intuitive as kreuger's.... And Krueger just seems like a boss, whereas I always got an extremely beta vibe from phil

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
He's starting to remind me of Sean McDermott.

Like I had with McDermott, I have questions if he can make the right player usage decisions, use analytics properly, and manage the game well.

Reactions: jc17

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'm sure there are going to be head scratching decisions made from time to time, especially while the team still has a lot to learn/prove and the fans feel they know all the answers... but I like that Krueger seems to at least know what he's doing. He knows how to manage professional athletes, he knows the NHL, he has a real gameplan for these guys.

Which doesn't sound like a big ask for an NHL head coach... but it is after Housley who seemed like a nice enough guy but just had no idea and was in way over his head, and Bylsma who seemed to at least have a basic grasp of coaching at the NHL level but the players didn't seem to like or respect whatsoever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Franson

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
He seems like he should be our president rather than a coach.

I think that's where he'll eventually go. Predicting he'll have success and then move to team president after finding his successor. Possibly even as an organizational president, for both teams. He'd do well in that role.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Sounds like Botterill hired a LEADER rather than just a coach.

I'm not going to piss allover Housley for not having a clue on how to build an integrated yet seamless hockey infrastructure across an organization. The question or need probably never was even a topic during the hiring process much less a KASOC.

Botts just showed me he's capable of learning new things. That's encouraging.

Good job Jason....

P.S. Its been hard to follow via TV in the pre season given that most of the feeds I'm getting are from the Sabres opponent but I have caught glimpses of Krueger's demeanor and reactions during the game while behind the bench. I especially liked seeing him having give and take with the referees during the Columbus game. I could tell he was nicely pointing out that they missed a call or situation in a teasing sort of fashion. So preferable to watching gum chewing Phil who barely reacted and seemed not to have a clue as to what was going on.

Steve Smith drawing up the defensive scheme for the shorthanded situation at the end of the Pens game while Ralph does a bit of motivational cheerleading. I'm liking what I'm seeing thus far.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
That coaching summit may help the organization deal with Granato hospitalized with pneumonia. Taylor up to take his place as an assistant and Gord Dinesen taking over in Rochester.

Everyone should be on the same page.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad