Raleigh and the Triangle - A Visitor's and Local's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
i thought the point of maggiano's was to order a truckload of family style food, have like 8 plates of everything then take enough leftovers home to feed a family of 4 for a week before you realize that you are fat and dead

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
With Italian restaurants, there is that fine line with gluttony on one side of it, and "finesse" food (read that as fancy, but very small portions) on the other side. When you find one that straddles that line and gives you excellent food with decent portion sizes, you have heaven.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
i thought the point of maggiano's was to order a truckload of family style food, have like 8 plates of everything then take enough leftovers home to feed a family of 4 for a week before you realize that you are fat and dead

I always thought the point was to have a chain Italian place that was actually edible?

bluedevil58*

1. Magianos is overpriced. I am not a big italian food love. You guys want some good places to try?

- Blues Seafood

- Vin Rouge

- Fish Mongerers

- City Beverage (This is a great bar/restraunt)

- Elmos Diner

All are great places if you are really into food.

Last edited by a moderator:

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
For me, it's just an ok Italian chain restaurant.

Food is decent, but not great. It's a bit pricey for the quality you get IMO. Not expensive, but not a bargain either. The ambiance is terrible though as it's usually overcrowded and very loud. I don't dislike the place, but I much prefer a place like Bella Monica, Tuscan Blu, or even Daniels over Maggianos. Food preference is a personal thing though so others may see it differently, but for me, it's not a reason I'd go to Southpoint.
I don't care about ambiance and stuff haha. It's probably my favorite place to eat, honestly.

And boo hiss to Bella Monica. Wasn't a fan.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
i go to school in the little italy section of the bronx and the italian food i get right outside campus is just to ****ing die for oh my god

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't care about ambiance and stuff haha. It's probably my favorite place to eat, honestly.

And boo hiss to Bella Monica. Wasn't a fan.

Each to their own. Like I said, restaurants are a personal choice type thing so everyone is different. I grew up in an Italian family. To this day, I still make all my own marinara, cream sauces, pesto, fra diavlo, frequently my own pasta, my own raviolis, gnoccis, and various other dishes passed down from my grandmother and mother.

I find places like Maggiano's just "ok" as there is nothing overly exciting, nor much originality in their food. It's not bad, just that it's not anything special as far as I'm concerned. I'm not saying they need to be original or have a bunch of unique items, but for me, if they aren't/don't, the food should pretty much stand out, and the few times I've been there, it hasn't. Bella Monica on the other hand, has some more unique style dishes that I've really enjoyed vs. what I'd consider more standard fair at Maggiano's.

I get that though, Maggiano's is a chain that caters to the masses, and if you want gobs of spaghetti and meatballs, then it's fine for that. If you want something a little different and higher quality (my opinion), then places like Bella Monica, 518/411 West, Tuscan Blu, etc.. are MUCH better choices.

All personal preferences.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
i go to school in the little italy section of the bronx and the italian food i get right outside campus is just to ****ing die for oh my god

I realize you are talking about the Bronx but in regards to NYC, it's unfortunate that Little Italy in Manhattan is disappearing more and more as the years go by. I think now it's down to like 3 city blocks total vs. in it's hey day was 50+ blocks. It's a shame.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
I realize you are talking about the Bronx but in regards to NYC, it's unfortunate that Little Italy in Manhattan is disappearing more and more as the years go by. I think now it's down to like 3 city blocks total vs. in it's hey day was 50+ blocks. It's a shame.

There is literally not a single native Italian living in Little Italy today.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not according to his bio on the boards :p: So unless he's telling little white lies...wait a second...#Satin is the Prince of Lies. I should have known all along! :amazed:

Updated that a couple years back, so yeah I can see how it would be confusing looking at the post date (2009) and seeing my age listed as 32. I turn 34 in June.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere

There is literally not a single native Italian living in Little Italy today.

the little italy in manhattan is not the real little italy

arthur avenue is the real little italy

don't listen to the lamestream media

i see at least eight mob bosses whenever i venture off campus and like coop said there are no italians in manhattan's little italy

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
the little italy in manhattan is not the real little italy

arthur avenue is the real little italy

don't listen to the lamestream media

i see at least eight mob bosses whenever i venture off campus and like coop said there are no italians in manhattan's little italy

I've been to both a number of times and that's basically my point in Manhattan. Many years ago (and I first visited it many years ago), Little Italy in Manhattan was full of Italians and a real community. Now, it's pretty much disappeared with only a couple of blocks, pretty much in name only. That's the shame.

drganon

Jun 24, 2014
I'm not a big fan of Italian food, but that's mostly because tomato sauce gives me heartburn.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
While we're talking **** on chain Italian restaurants, I went to Carrabba's the other day. What a waste of money. For once Olive Garden has someone beat.

That surprises me. I'd generally put Carrabba's above Olive Garden. My ranking of chain Italian places (that have locations in the Triangle, sorry Buca di Beppo) would be:

1. Maggiano's
2. Carrabba's
3. Macaroni Grill
4. Olive Garden
5. Dying a slow excruciating death of hunger
6. Carino's

drganon

Jun 24, 2014
That surprises me. I'd generally put Carrabba's above Olive Garden. My ranking of chain Italian places (that have locations in the Triangle, sorry Buca di Beppo) would be:

1. Maggiano's
2. Carrabba's
3. Macaroni Grill
4. Olive Garden
5. Dying a slow excruciating death of hunger
6. Carino's

I've only been Maggiano's, but I wasn't a huge fan of it. That was also several years before my stomach decided that it hated tomato sauce and decided to cause me pain whenever i ate it.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I mostly agree with that ranking, but I like some of the chicken dishes at Carrabba's, probably enough to put them ahead of Maggiano's. I haven't been to either since I left Charlotte, though, which was a year and a half ago. I never made it to the Buca di Beppo in Pineville, but that was because it wasn't close by and traffic always sucks in that area.

Besides, the food at your basic Italian chain isn't much better than you can create in your own kitchen, so I usually just do Italian at home. But if I ever find the right hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant in Raleigh, they're going to make entirely too much money off of me.

The bread at Macaroni Grill is its strong point.

Edit: My favorite Italian place in Charlotte wasn't even a restaurant - it was a grocery store called Pasta and Provisions. They had both house-made ingredients and stuff imported from Italy (half of the labels weren't even in English). There were also a handful of ready-to-cook dishes. Everything they had was incredible. I think the owners had a similar store in Boston's North End before moving south, and walking in there makes you feel like you just teleported. I have yet to find a place in Raleigh that even comes close, so that's probably the thing I miss most about Charlotte.

Edit 2: This place looks promising.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad