Raleigh and the Triangle - A Visitor's and Local's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Speaking of Clayton... any thoughts on the best place to catch Caps/Knights on Thursday in Garner/Clayton/Smithfield? I definitely want to be able to hear the game, and watching it with other Caps fans, or at least hockey knowledgeable fans, would be great. My best guess is Carolina Ale House in White Oak, but thought you all might have some additional thoughts.

Cleveland draft house in Garner I believe is the big Redskins hangout in that area. Might find a Capitals fan or two.

If you're willing to drive a bit, I've suggested Buffalo Brothers to others before. Will probably have some hockey fans there.

I seem to recall there's another big Redskins hangout in downtown Raleigh on Glenwood. Tobacco Road sports bar? I remember driving by it 5 years ago and seeing people in Redskins gear.

Edit: Upon further investigation it appears that Tobacco Road sports bar is now Raleigh Brewery and isn't a Redskins bar anymore. So yeah, scratch that off.

Also, forgot Buffalo Brothers has a Garner location.

Last edited:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Driving in to see tonight's game from Hillsborough - where's a good place/area to find dinner along the way/outside the arena? What do folks usually do? Not terribly fussy, but fast food won't necessarily cut it...

I'd be all, "Go Canes!", except for tonight...

In addition to the places @the halleJOKEL mentioned there's a couple strip malls that house some good options. Offhand they are:

Buffalo Brothers Pizza & Wing Co. on Lake Boone Trail
Chubby's Tacos in the Lake Boone Shopping Center

There's also the Olde Raleigh shopping center at the corner of Edwards Mill & Duraleigh that has Edwards Mill Bar & Grill, Bella Monica Italian Restaurant, and Rudino's Pizza & Grinders Sports Corner.

I'm not sure how long you want to take to eat but Crabtree Valley Mall is also not that far away and has a pretty good Japanese Steakhouse (Kanki) as well as some more chain type places like Cheesecake Factory, Brio Italian, McCormick & Schmick's, Fleming's Steakhouse, La Rancherita Mexican, and P.F. Chang's.

lunch pail gang

Jun 10, 2009
Season ticket member here, driving up from Wilmington this afternoon for the game. My buddy and I were looking for a good place to eat as well (usually we just go straight to the game and leave), and I think we'll try the Backyard Bistro. We've heard great things about it and are looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Carolina Ale House was mentioned as well, and I don't know how it is in Raleigh, but the one here in Wilmington has terrible customer service for Canes fans, except when they host a Cool Bars night of course. Two or three years ago a bunch of us hockey fans wanted to get together to watch a Canes game, so we decided to head out to the Ale House, because, you know, they have a corporate relationship with the team(!), only to be told when we arrived that they wouldn't put the game on any of their billion gazillion tv's they have. We didn't care which tv it was, we just wanted one but the manager absolutely refused and he was quite rude about it, saying something like, "this is college hoops country, you can't expect us to put a hockey game on for only six people." Since then we've never been back, even when the Cool Bars comes to town.

Looking forward to tonight's game and some good food before hand!

lunch pail gang

Jun 10, 2009
I'll bet both the Hurricanes and the Ale House would like to know about this.

Oh, my wife let the Ale House know about it the next day via facebook or e-mail, I can't remember which, and she received a generic form letter in response saying something like, "we apologize for your inconvenience, etc..". Very dismissive in it's tone. Oh well, no biggie, plenty of other sports bars in town that are willing to put the game on at least one tv.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Season ticket member here, driving up from Wilmington this afternoon for the game. My buddy and I were looking for a good place to eat as well (usually we just go straight to the game and leave), and I think we'll try the Backyard Bistro. We've heard great things about it and are looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Carolina Ale House was mentioned as well, and I don't know how it is in Raleigh, but the one here in Wilmington has terrible customer service for Canes fans, except when they host a Cool Bars night of course. Two or three years ago a bunch of us hockey fans wanted to get together to watch a Canes game, so we decided to head out to the Ale House, because, you know, they have a corporate relationship with the team(!), only to be told when we arrived that they wouldn't put the game on any of their billion gazillion tv's they have. We didn't care which tv it was, we just wanted one but the manager absolutely refused and he was quite rude about it, saying something like, "this is college hoops country, you can't expect us to put a hockey game on for only six people." Since then we've never been back, even when the Cool Bars comes to town.

Looking forward to tonight's game and some good food before hand!

I've experienced the same thing in Charlotte before. No problem showing Ole Miss vs Arkansas volleyball on tv but no hockey.

Best was the time when they switched hockey to monster trucks and the idiots at the bar clapped.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Hey folks,

Longtime CBJ fan (I know I know) here considering moving to the Raleigh area. Looking for some advice.

Potentially going to be working not far from the 401/440 interchange area, wondering what commute times are like and any neighborhood recommendations. I have three daughters all under 10 so schools are far and away most important. We have been looking at the Wake Forrest area, would that be the best place?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hey folks,

Longtime CBJ fan (I know I know) here considering moving to the Raleigh area. Looking for some advice.

Potentially going to be working not far from the 401/440 interchange area, wondering what commute times are like and any neighborhood recommendations. I have three daughters all under 10 so schools are far and away most important. We have been looking at the Wake Forrest area, would that be the best place?

Wake Forest is a little far afield from the I-440/US-401 junction/Capital Boulevard area and you'd be fighting a fair amount of traffic down US-1 every day. Depending on your budget I'd look for a neighborhood off of Millbrook or Falls of Neuse - traffic's still not that great but better than US-1 and closer.

Oldracer

Jan 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Some Raleigh info: Traffic has caught up with many places most of us left to get away from it. Real estate prices are still reasonable, with "inside the beltline" (I-440) very high, "Midtown" (between I-440 & I-540), high and probably increasing faster than other areas. North of I- 540, housing is fairly reasonable, but lots of upscale developments. Wake County schools are recognized as better than the more rural Franklin County. Not sure you will escape traffic, unless you have "off' hours. All and all it's a great place to live!

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Thank you all for the feedback, much appreciated.

So to dig a little deeper, work would be in the area of 440/Brentwood Rd. Like I said, schools are our first concern, budget and all other intangibles are up for discussion as we move along.

I live in Spokane so we are very spoiled with commute times. I'm 8 miles from work and the average commute home for me is 12-20 minutes. We expect more of a commute so not a big deal.

As for becoming a Canes fan, we will see. Home cookin is always the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->