Raleigh and the Triangle - A Visitor's and Local's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
There’s a free bus to and from games called the Caniac Coach that has a stop at North Hills, so you could use that and save some money on Ubers.

As far as stuff to do, there are a lot of good restaurants in Raleigh. Check the first post of this thread. All sorts of different stuff, plus places like Poole’s Diner, Mami Nora’s, Guasaca, Raleigh Beer Garden(I know you said you don’t drink, but the food isn’t bad, and the building itself is cool) and on and on.

Now I want Poole's Mac and Cheese

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sabres fan and Army Soldier coming with family to the game on December 23rd. We're looking for somewhere nice but not super expensive to stay near the arena. I've got google maps and hotel search information. Where would you all recommend?

We're coming in from South Carolina. Any special information we'd need to know coming into the area on a Saturday afternoon?

Thanks in advance!

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Sabres fan and Army Soldier coming with family to the game on December 23rd. We're looking for somewhere nice but not super expensive to stay near the arena. I've got google maps and hotel search information. Where would you all recommend?

We're coming in from South Carolina. Any special information we'd need to know coming into the area on a Saturday afternoon?

Thanks in advance!

Embassy Suites in Cary is about 3-4 miles from the stadium and it's right near 40 that gets you to the stadium. It's also located behind a shopping center that you can easily walk to, the shopping center has some really good lunch/dinner options. It's usually about $100-$140 a night. They also have free drinks & snacks during happy hour! This used to be the hotel where teams used to stay before we got the 5 star Umstead hotel right across the street.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Embassy Suites in Cary is about 3-4 miles from the stadium and it's right near 40 that gets you to the stadium. It's also located behind a shopping center that you can easily walk to, the shopping center has some really good lunch/dinner options. It's usually about $100-$140 a night. They also have free drinks & snacks during happy hour! This used to be the hotel where teams used to stay before we got the 5 star Umstead hotel right across the street.

Thanks! Anywhere near the arena (and stadium) you wouldn't stay?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Thanks! Anywhere near the arena (and stadium) you wouldn't stay?

Check out the OP for the hotels nearest to the stadium. There's no place I wouldn't stay, that said the lsat time I stayed at that Ramada (which admittedly was over a decade ago) it was getting a little worse for wear. It seems like it's presently under renovation based on some reviews i'm seeing from Yelp so I'd probably steer clear of it for now.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Shouldn't be any problems getting into the area. If you're coming via I-40 Eastbound, you might run into some traffic in Durham from the exit where the Southpoint Mall is, but that shouldn't be too much of a hassle, unless you actually plan on going shopping at the mall, or any mall for that matter.

You really can't go wrong with any of the nearby hotels. If you want to fork the extra bucks I'd echo CandyCanes on Embassay Suites.
BTW, thanks for your service to our nation! :handclap:

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought visiting teams stayed in the Renaissance at North Hills? I know this has been discussed before.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought visiting teams stayed in the Renaissance at North Hills? I know this has been discussed before.

That's my understanding, too, unless they switched over to The Umstead within the last 5 years or so. I know for a fact that they used to stay at the Renaissance then, at least, having seen Mathieu Perreault in the lobby there when the Caps were in town.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City

There is also an Embassy Suites at Crabtree Valley Mall which is a direct shot down Edwards Mills Rd from the arena. Just about every hotel chain is located near the mall as well. 4 miles from PNC to Mall and not much traffic until you get to mall area.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
There is also an Embassy Suites at Crabtree Valley Mall which is a direct shot down Edwards Mills Rd from the arena. Just about every hotel chain is located near the mall as well. 4 miles from PNC to Mall and not much traffic until you get to mall area.

This time of year mall traffic though...

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If you are only in town for the game and don't care about being downtown, there are lots of places. There's a Hampton Inn, Wingate and Hyatt off of 40 near Chapel Hill road that are all just minutes from the PNC arena. I think you would expect to spend between $100-$125 (Pre tax) per room for those, although during the holidays, who knows.

A little further way, near crossroads (Dillard Drive / CrossRoads Boulevard areas), there's a Holiday Inn, Hilton Garden Inn and DoubleTree that should be in the same price range and are an easy 10-15 min. drive to PNC. Plus, there are a number of restaurants/bars and shopping in that area and it's not a complete cluster f*** like Crabtree area. The Holiday Inn in Crossroads is a little bit older, but the Hilton and Doubltree were built more recently.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
If you are only in town for the game and don't care about being downtown, there are lots of places. There's a Hampton Inn, Wingate and Hyatt off of 40 near Chapel Hill road that are all just minutes from the PNC arena. I think you would expect to spend between $100-$125 (Pre tax) per room for those, although during the holidays, who knows.

A little further way, near crossroads (Dillard Drive / CrossRoads Boulevard areas), there's a Holiday Inn, Hilton Garden Inn and DoubleTree that should be in the same price range and are an easy 10-15 min. drive to PNC. Plus, there are a number of restaurants/bars and shopping in that area and it's not a complete cluster **** like Crabtree area. The Holiday Inn in Crossroads is a little bit older, but the Hilton and Doubltree were built more recently.

I honestly think Hyatt Houses are the best hotels to stay at. The rooms are enormous. You get an office/living room and a bed room. I really like them! I wouldn't stay down town.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Yep, Crabtree is the absolute place I'd avoid this time of year. North Hills usually isn't too bad with Holiday traffic, though I haven't been up this year.

Crabtree is a place to avoid any time of the year.

Unless you need to go to apple

A little further way, near crossroads (Dillard Drive / CrossRoads Boulevard areas), there's a Holiday Inn, Hilton Garden Inn and DoubleTree that should be in the same price range and are an easy 10-15 min. drive to PNC. Plus, there are a number of restaurants/bars and shopping in that area and it's not a complete cluster **** like Crabtree area. The Holiday Inn in Crossroads is a little bit older, but the Hilton and Doubltree were built more recently.

Thanks guys!

We're a military family. Your administrative folks gave my entire Battalion a great deal over the holidays. We'll be in attendance on Saturday. We'll be in the Sabres jerseys, family of five, two girls and a boy. Please come say hello if you see us!

BTW, I love you're page. You guys are funny, knowledgeable, and helpful. Our board is in the midst of an asinine Sam Reinhart discussion where are few very un-knowledgeable posters are causing a stir. You guys are really cohesive.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Yep, Crabtree is the absolute place I'd avoid this time of year. North Hills usually isn't too bad with Holiday traffic, though I haven't been up this year.

We're coming in from South Carolina, so I think we're coming in I-95, to I-40, and then take I-40 around the south-to-southwest side of the city to PNC Arena. You see any issues with that route? Thanks!

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

We're planning on staying in a hotel on Chapel Hill road. Any issues with that area? Thanks!

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
We're coming in from South Carolina, so I think we're coming in I-95, to I-40, and then take I-40 around the south-to-southwest side of the city to PNC Arena. You see any issues with that route? Thanks!

I have no idea if it's still going on* but I-40 started a major overhaul of it's entirety throughout Raleigh about 2 years ago?, which isn't very long to begin with but holy hell was it needed.

*When I say I have no idea, I'm 99.9999999% sure it is still going on. Lets not kid ourselves, road construction in NC can last 25 years and I-485 in Charlotte is proof of that. Best part is when construction is done, the road needs to be widened again :laugh:

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
I have no idea if it's still going on* but I-40 started a major overhaul of it's entirety throughout Raleigh about 2 years ago?, which isn't very long to begin with but holy hell was it needed.

*When I say I have no idea, I'm 99.9999999% sure it is still going on. Lets not kid ourselves, road construction in NC can last 25 years and I-485 in Charlotte is proof of that. Best part is when construction is done, the road needs to be widened again :laugh:

It's like half way done

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah was still going on last time I went over to that side of Raleigh. That said it's no real big thing out that way as long as you time it so you don't catch rush hour. Though no telling with holiday traffic. Just as in indicator I used to have to go through that area on the way out to Garner for beer league games when I lived in Durham and by 6:30-6:45 when I was coming through for an early game it was no worse then traffic anywhere else in the Triangle.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->