Raleigh and the Triangle - A Visitor's and Local's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
IIRC, Same owners as Bida Manda as well. I've only been to Bida Manda once, just a few months back and I thought it was exceptional.

A few years back when they said they were starting a combination flower shop, book store, brewery and Dim Sum restaurant, I thought "WTF?" Looks like they've pulled it off spectacularly.

Yup, you're correct in that it's the same owners. IIRC since Bida Manda is right next door the old owner(s) of Tir Na Nog gave them the first rights to it. And I'll also agree that the concept seemed bizarre when I first heard it, but it really does work considering how big that space is. It was fun browsing the book shop portion of it before we were sat for dinner and the plant wall dividing the restaurant space from the bookshop space just added to the ambiance of both.

DSC02901.jpg

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Get reservations way out if you plan on going on a friday or saturday

Agreed - we went not too long after it was named one of the best new restaurants in the country by Bon Appetit and the place was packed. I can only imagine it'd be more of the same now. For what it's worth I looked at Open Table just now - you can get a reservation at 9:00 tonight. Tomorrow's completely booked, and Saturday they have openings at 10:15 and 10:30.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
imagine my surprise checking out that Brewery Bhavana place by seeking out the website for nice pictures, and then finding the staff photo page, and then finding out from that page that one of the founders is a guy I used to argue with in grad school ALL THE TIME. good guy, very very smart, but I had no idea he was doing restaurant biz stuff. he was supposed to be working on a philosophy phd. ah well.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Agreed - we went not too long after it was named one of the best new restaurants in the country by Bon Appetit and the place was packed. I can only imagine it'd be more of the same now. For what it's worth I looked at Open Table just now - you can get a reservation at 9:00 tonight. Tomorrow's completely booked, and Saturday they have openings at 10:15 and 10:30.

My wife and I usually aim for 6-7pm when we go out to eat and it's usually before some other event (show, concert, etc..). For hard to get into restaurants though, I've found if you want to eat very early, many times you can get a table on short notice. That's what we did for both Bida Manda (same day Saturday reservation, but it was around 5:15ish which left of us plenty of time to go for a drink afterwards before catching a concert at the Pour House) and when we were in Asheville, at Curate. It's not great when dining out IS the event you are going out for, but if you plan on having dinner, and then going someplace else afterwards, it works great.

And NO @RodTheBawd , it's not because of the senior citizen early bird discount.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
Yup, you're correct in that it's the same owners. IIRC since Bida Manda is right next door the old owner(s) of Tir Na Nog gave them the first rights to it. And I'll also agree that the concept seemed bizarre when I first heard it, but it really does work considering how big that space is. It was fun browsing the book shop portion of it before we were sat for dinner and the plant wall dividing the restaurant space from the bookshop space just added to the ambiance of both.

Damn I know where I am aiming for dinner when I make my annual holiday trip to Raleigh. Sounds phenomenal.

There was a great combination flower shop and bar in my old neighborhood in Brooklyn that existed for years before getting shut down by the health department. I'm a sucker for weirdly complementary combinations of uses.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Looks interesting but I'd love to see a throwdown between them and Francois Kerckhof of Belgian Waffle Crafters. My money is on the Belgian.

I've had Belgian Waffles Crafters, they were alright in my opinion. I think I just wasn't a fan of the leige waffles. I like more of the traditional waffle house batter, which I believe is what style of batter Smash Waffles uses. But I could be wrong.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Alamo Drafthouse brings movie theater, beer hall to Raleigh :: Out and About at WRAL.com

Old news but I'm looking forward to visiting the Alamo Drafthouse when it finally opens (maybe in the Spring?). The neighborhood it's going in has some potential to maybe become what NoDa has become in Charlotte. It's a risk opening there, but the potential rewards are a goldmine.

I'm sure when it finally does open, there will be an announcement about a Charlotte location :laugh:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Alamo Drafthouse brings movie theater, beer hall to Raleigh :: Out and About at WRAL.com

Old news but I'm looking forward to visiting the Alamo Drafthouse when it finally opens (maybe in the Spring?). The neighborhood it's going in has some potential to maybe become what NoDa has become in Charlotte. It's a risk opening there, but the potential rewards are a goldmine.

I'm sure when it finally does open, there will be an announcement about a Charlotte location :laugh:

That place sounds awesome, will definitely be checking this out

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I've been to various Alamo Drafthouses across the US and it is a great place to watch a great movie. I also know some of the people involved in bringing a location to Raleigh. it's a lot of good things coming together, and I really hope it pans out.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Got to be honest. Went before it became all the rage and was underwhelmed. Cool concept and really good but not awe-inspiring food. Beer was quite good though.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

andy500

Jul 5, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm coming to Raleigh with my girlfriend from 5th-14th February - hoping to catch all four games. Will be my first ever live Hurricanes game, pretty excited.

Is there anything in Raleigh we absolutely should not miss while we're there? We're staying in Hyatt House North Hills, and are probably going to Uber everywhere (Car rental seemed just as expensive, due to under 25 surcharge) - North Hills looks like a pretty cool base as well.

I don't drink - so beer suggestions will be lost on me, but any food suggestions are more than welcome! We've not really done much research yet - so our current plan is mainly to chill in North Hills, catch some Canes games - have a few days downtown and go to the Crabtree Valley Mall at some point. And eat as much as possible! Look forward to seeing your city.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
There’s a free bus to and from games called the Caniac Coach that has a stop at North Hills, so you could use that and save some money on Ubers.

As far as stuff to do, there are a lot of good restaurants in Raleigh. Check the first post of this thread. All sorts of different stuff, plus places like Poole’s Diner, Mami Nora’s, Guasaca, Raleigh Beer Garden(I know you said you don’t drink, but the food isn’t bad, and the building itself is cool) and on and on.

Last edited:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
There’s a free bus to and from games called the Caniac Coach that has a stop at North Hills, so you could use that and save some money on Ubers.

As far as stuff to do, there are a lot of good restaurants in Raleigh. Check the first post of this thread. All sorts of different stuff, ply places like Poole’s Diner, Mami Nora’s, Guasaca, Raleigh Beer Garden(I know you said you don’t drink, but the food isn’t bad, and the building itself is cool) and on and on.

Definitely any of the restaurants in Ashley Christensen's mini-empire. Christensen is a nationally recognized chef, won the James Beard Award for Best Chef in the region and Eater named her their chef of the year recently and Poole's is one of their 38 Essential Restaurants to dine at in the US. In addition to Poole's she owns Beasley's Chicken + Honey, which focuses on chicken & waffles; Chuck's, which focuses on burgers; Death & Taxes, which focuses on foods cooked over a wood fire; and Fox Liquor Bar, a speakeasy style cocktail bar located in the basement of Beasley's and Chucks. She's also the/a primary investor in a new restaurant one of her former sous chefs just opened up, St. Roch, an oyster bar with a New Orleans vibe.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I know you don't drink, I don't much either. But one of my favorite places to hangout at is this barcade called Boxcar in downtown Raleigh. If you like old vintage video games & pinball you gotta check it out. You can also get a great BBQ dinner right next door to Boxcar at The Pit.

If you want the best BBQ though you gotta check out Smokey's BBQ Shack in Morrisville. It's one of those hole in a wall places that just amazes you.

I saw the suggestion for Beasleys Chicken & Honey, but in my opinion you gotta check out Dames Chicken n Waffles instead, I think it blows Beasleys away. Plus you can go to Dames right before a Canes game as it's right off of 40. They have these flavored butters called schmears and they are to die for. My favorite is the strawberry creme schmear, you should also get their homemade strawberry lemonade its so on point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad