Speculation: Raising their Game

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Thought I would start a thread about this. The Olympics are great for most players. The chance to represent their country on the biggest WORLD stage is huge for most players. This is a tournament that could change the play of someone for the rest of the season.

Who do you think will come back from the Olympics and w/ renewed confidence/improved play? And who may come back worse.

My initial thoughts going into the Olympics is that Halak would benefit the most - just like 4 years ago and comeback playing at a higher level. After being pulled, I am thinking that he may be a bit of a head case. Or do you think he will use it as motivation? I have been against the get Miller - now I am not so sure, and it will depend on how he rebounds.

Someone who will come back with more confidence is Berglund. With the big injuries to the Swedes top players (Z, Sedin, etc) he played a bigger role then I thought he would. At points in the Fin game he was back into the bull in the china shop play - where he at one point just went through a Fin Dman. I think his confidence was shaken due to lack of scoring and I expect him to get back and increase his point production to his usual level.

Oshie and Backes both were very solid. But both have been playing very well. I would say that I have hopes that Stastney would put the Blues on the top of his list as he has played w/ Oshie for quite a bit....

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I put nothing into Berglund playing better because of the Olympics: He always seems to play well during international tournaments.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I think things will stay the status quo. Our same core group of leaders (Backes, Oshie, Pie, Jaybo, Steen, Schwartz, Tarasenko) will continue to be the best players on the ice.

So in short the answer for me is nobody.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I put nothing into Berglund playing better because of the Olympics: He always seems to play well during international tournaments.

I think things will stay the status quo. Our same core group of leaders (Backes, Oshie, Pie, Jaybo, Steen, Schwartz, Tarasenko) will continue to be the best players on the ice.

So in short the answer for me is nobody.

Basically these two. The players will be the same, it's not like the Olympics are somehow going to turn someone into a superstar. It's hockey. Their games won't change.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS

This. I've come to the conclusion that Bergy is just one of those guys whose game is best on big ice. I always hear of him doing GREAT things when playing outside of the NHL ( WC, lockout etc), but once the season here is on, things just dont seem to work for him.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
This. I've come to the conclusion that Bergy is just one of those guys whose game is best on big ice. I always hear of him doing GREAT things when playing outside of the NHL ( WC, lockout etc), but once the season here is on, things just dont seem to work for him.

With his slightly slow skating, he has a lot less room to initiate an offensive play in The NHL (get off a feeder pass, skate around a defender, deke a goalie, get off a decent shot). On The large ice surface, he has a lot more room to initiate offence. And, so, he completes more offensive plays, successfully, and thus, accumulates mnore goals scored, and assists.

zachws6

Nov 8, 2010
STL
Berglund is an interesting topic. Look at that Rookie year. +19 and almost a 50 point season. He didn't have the flashy hands of Perron or the fan-loving checks Oshie did, but he entered the league absolutely NHL ready and got the job done. He essentially peaked his rookie year though and has dipped and plateaued around that ever since. At this point it just doesn't seem like there is any untapped potential there any more. I'll give him credit for being durable his entire career, but that is about the only consistency he has offered. Not sure what I would do with him but that is why I'm not a GM. He looked great last night though and he sure seems well liked in the locker room. I'd love nothing more for him to go full beast mode every night.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Berglund is an interesting topic. Look at that Rookie year. +19 and almost a 50 point season. He didn't have the flashy hands of Perron or the fan-loving checks Oshie did, but he entered the league absolutely NHL ready and got the job done. He essentially peaked his rookie year though and has dipped and plateaued around that ever since. At this point it just doesn't seem like there is any untapped potential there any more. I'll give him credit for being durable his entire career, but that is about the only consistency he has offered. Not sure what I would do with him but that is why I'm not a GM. He looked great last night though and he sure seems well liked in the locker room. I'd love nothing more for him to go full beast mode every night.

For Berglund - it has always been a mental game. Nothing to do with hockey IQ, but how he feels about himself and his confidence level. When he is scoring goals - watch out. He can be dominant at both ends of the ice, BUT when he isn't, he becomes tentative and doesn't shoot the puck, then doesn't produce and it becomes cyclical. Playmaking has never been his calling card, but he shoots the puck well. It he isn't shooting, he isn't producing. Berglund plays his best with guys who are pass first or have good playmaking -(Why he has Stewart looked good together last year and then after the Stewart trade).

He is also someone who seems to have focused very hard in the d side of things, due to coaching, and that has taken away from his offensive playing.

That is why I felt the Olympic break would reset him a bit. Give him some confidence and I hope it starts to translate on the scoring sheet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad