Raising #13

RedWingsNow*

Datsyuk is ranked 8th all time in Red Wings scoring. He's about to pass Ted Lindsay for 7th and could even catch Norm Ullman for 6th this year.
If he goes back to Russia after next year and finishes with..
270 goals
580 assists
820 points
+240
3 or 4 All Star Games
4 Lady Byng Trophies
3 Selke Trophies (maybe more)
2 Cups
A highlight reel that would make Barry Sanders blush

Is that enough?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He's close, but he's not there yet.

I think he's something people will be talking about for years to come though. Seriously, I've seen pretty plays, good stickhandling. But his creativity is off the charts. I've seen him do things that I've never seen from anyone else.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I've seen him do things that I've never seen from anyone else.

I've been saying that since his 1st and 2nd seasons. He's not the best player I've ever seen, but he's certainly the most unique/entertaining. No player has even come close to making me say or think things like "what in the world?!" and "did he really just do that?"

Just as impressive as his skill/creativity has been his overall development. He came in weak and a bit of a liability and turned himself into one of the finest 2-way players the league has seen.

Just an honor to watch him and I hope to one day see #13 hanging in the rafters so I can recollect every time I return to a Wing's game as an elder.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He has't earned that right over Fedorov or Kelly yet. I also think Hank has a better chance out of the two of them, without an extension I don't see Pavel's number going up.

It should be noted that nobody that didn't wear the C aside from Sawchuk has ever received this honor. Kelly actually did of the two names listed previously. For the life of me I cannot figure out how Red Kelly still hasn't received this honor.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm slightly more liberal about this than most folk. I'd put Kelly, Feds, Shanny, Ozzie, Pavel, and Hank all in the rafters. Then I'd make a Red Wings hall of fame for guys like Draper, Maltby, and McCarty, etc.(like the Flyers organization) These were all guys vital to our franchise's continual success and Stanley Cups. But this is just me.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm slightly more liberal about this than most folk. I'd put Kelly, Feds, Shanny, Ozzie, Pavel, and Hank all in the rafters. Then I'd make a Red Wings hall of fame for guys like Draper, Maltby, and McCarty, etc.(like the Flyers organization) These were all guys vital to our franchise's continual success and Stanley Cups. But this is just me.

You must love the Pistons attitude on this then.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
You must love the Pistons attitude on this then.

Pistons have 3 titles and it's not like I'm suggesting we retire Dominik Hasek's number or even Reed Larson's. It's not comparable to Vancouver's retiring of Naslund's or Bure's numbers. These were vital pieces to our franchise. And to reiterate, I'm suggesting we take the truly vital players of our franchise's pseudo-dynasty and retire their numbers, and everyone else be placed in a "Red Wings Hall of Fame." It's a good way to commemorate everything they contributed to the franchise.

RedWingsNow*

To me, Datsyuk is the best two way center in the game.

Zetterberg gets so much credit for being complete.

But it's Datsyuk who has been the points leader (when healthy), and who wins the Selkes, and who is winning 66 percent of his faceoffs while Zetterberg is winning 46 percent.

Don't get me wrong. Zetterberg would be a #1 center on nearly every team in the league.
But I honestly rank Datsyuk in the top 5-6 centers I've watched in my lifetime.

Gretzky and Lemieux are ahead of him.

But I put Datsyuk right up there in the category with Yzerman and Fedorov -- and no, I don't quite put Z in that level.

I think Detroit fans honestly don't appreciate the once-in-a-lifetime talent they get to see in Datsyuk.
They're willing to talk BS about Ted Lindsay and Sid Abel and players they never saw... and why they belong but Pavel doesn't...

But they don't understand that they are selling out one of the most talented hockey players in the history of the sport.

RedWingsNow*

I'd put Feds and Shanny in there. Probably Hank too.

Ozzie? Nope. He goes in the special Wing with Drapes and Maltby and Homer.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The next number to go up is #91.

I wouldn't put Shanahan up there simply because he was in the back half of his career when he joined the Red Wings.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Datsyuk is ranked 8th all time in Red Wings scoring. He's about to pass Ted Lindsay for 7th and could even catch Norm Ullman for 6th this year.
If he goes back to Russia after next year and finishes with..
270 goals
580 assists

820 points
+240
3 or 4 All Star Games
4 Lady Byng Trophies
3 Selke Trophies (maybe more)
2 Cups
A highlight reel that would make Barry Sanders blush

Is that enough?

wait so in this season and the next Pav is gonna put up nearly 100 assist and only 30 goals? I could see him putting up 80 assist and 50 goals. same point totals just more goals. I could also see him really pushing to get to 300 goals if he knows he's not resigning .

I see what your saying and think he should get put up there in a Row with Z, Lidstrom, Fedorov, and even Yzerman. these guys, are apart of a seperate dynasty than Howe, Lindsay, ect..

it was them.... Dead Wings.... Yzerman and the current streak. Pav, Z, Fedorov, would all be raised if on a less storied team.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
The next number to go up is #91.

I wouldn't put Shanahan up there simply because he was in the back half of his career when he joined the Red Wings.

Next is #5. Hank and Pav are both locks - I didn't realize this was even debatable. I agree 91 deserves to go up too but there are more politics involved with that one...

lazerbullet

May 22, 2009
Europe
I also think that both Z and Datsyuk should be up there. If not them, then who else?

Zetterberg... arguably the best playoff performer of his time. One of the best two-way players of his time. Captain.

Datsyuk... Top 3 player in the league for several seasons. I believe only Gordie Howe has led this team in scoring more times than Pavel Datsyuk. That's really impressive.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
#5, #13 and #40 will be up. The next after those three will be Xavier Ouellet. ;)

#91 left us with his own decision and never came back. He just doesn't belong there, no matter what the stats are. You don't leave the family, if you want to be a family legend.

I'm still a greatest fan of Fedorov, loved him all these years, was angry when he left, but that has been forgiven years ago. It was always nice to see him doing good and playing his Fedex-hockey at Capitals or Russian National team. I'd never boo for him or anything and I don't have any kind of agenda against him. But he just doesn't belong there.

PS.

You just don't say no for Mr. Ilitch, if he puts 50 million on the table and take 40 millions from elsewhere. That's was the clearest FU signal against our organization on that time.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
I'm looking at Zetterberg's numbers and even if you're extremely optimistic about the numbers he could put up I don't see how he gets his number raised. He won't be a ppg player, wont be a prolific goal scorer, only have one individual award and overall his numbers won't be very impressive. I think Datsyuk has a ways to go to get his number up, and given that Hank is a looooooong way to go IMO to warrant serious consideration....unless this cbecomes a "lifetime achievement" honor, which it shouldn't be.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
This is not like other teams who retires numbers left to right....

You need to have accomplished tons of things before going up in the rafters. Need 1 more cup and 1000pts+ and then go from there.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Not unless he signs another contract. If he signs another that makes him a Red Wing for life (give or take), then yes. If he bails after this contract is up for Russia (probably), then no.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
When looking at his career point totals, factor in the amount of points he lost to work stoppages. He should be going over 800 points right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad