Raisin' Hell and Waving Towels;Canucks '82 Cup Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Damn, I miss the Vancouver playoff atmosphere, too bad we’ll have to wait another 10 years to experience it again.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
That 1982 team would beat you on the ice AND in the stands...

Not sure its the greatest idea to be taking on the likes of Curt Fraser in a "street fight".

Yeah, there was definitely a lot of guys on that team that could throw down. Delorme with that famous tilt in Chicago...they really hype that moment up in the video.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The overlooked thing about that 1982 team was that there was some REAL talented players - only that there were well past their due date by the time they wore the Canucks jersey. Course, I doubt players like Hlinka would've been so easily acquired by Milford had he still been in his prime (still had a wicked wrist shot in his twilight years). And Bubla (Slegr's dad) still was able to throw the occasional solid hipcheck.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The overlooked thing about that 1982 team was that there was some REAL talented players - only that there were well past their due date by the time they wore the Canucks jersey. Course, I doubt players like Hlinka would've been so easily acquired by Milford had he still been in his prime (still had a wicked wrist shot in his twilight years). And Bubla (Slegr's dad) still was able to throw the occasional solid hipcheck.

Ivan Boldirev was hugely underrated as well. Love Crow's story about him getting over-excited at his goal.

Reactions: Hit the post

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Yeah, there was definitely a lot of guys on that team that could throw down. Delorme with that famous tilt in Chicago...they really hype that moment up in the video.

It was a pretty important moment. Back in those days it was still a working notion that if you played them very physically, you could run Swedes right out of the arena. Hawk tough guys had been giving Molin, Gradin and Lindgren a lot of extra business for much of the series, but to their credit they hadn't backed down... although Molin did look like a deer in the headlights at times. With his beatdown of Mulvey, Delorme pretty much put an end to that nonsense. Real momentum changer.

I often wonder what would have happened if we had Vaive and Derlago instead of Williams. Vaive and Derlago had 54 and 34 goals, respectively that year... Williams mostly just took stupid penalties during that playoff run. We would have had plenty of toughness without him. Hell, Vaive was pretty tough himself. I bet we could have won a game against the Isles.
I kind of hated that trade more than the Neely trade, to be honest.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It was a pretty important moment. Back in those days it was still a working notion that if you played them very physically, you could run Swedes right out of the arena. Hawk tough guys had been giving Molin, Gradin and Lindgren a lot of extra business for much of the series, but to their credit they hadn't backed down... although Molin did look like a deer in the headlights at times. With his beatdown of Mulvey, Delorme pretty much put an end to that nonsense. Real momentum changer.

I often wonder what would have happened if we had Vaive and Derlago instead of Williams. Vaive and Derlago had 54 and 34 goals, respectively that year... Williams mostly just took stupid penalties during that playoff run. We would have had plenty of toughness without him. Hell, Vaive was pretty tough himself. I bet we could have won a game against the Isles.
I kind of hated that trade more than the Neely trade, to be honest.

You're underating his effectiveness against in his prime Lanny McDonald. No question the team was hurt long-term wise with that trade though. Williams really got under his friend's (heh, maybe former friend) skin.

I seem to recall Molin had his leg broken (I forgot how...) and it didn't heal properly so they had to actually re-break it again!

Bubla I think in his prime would've fit in well for the "physical stuff". I remember his idea of a fight was to give the other guy a big bear hug (pro wrestling style!).

OT - random post involving the dude that is your username:

That ghost packs a mean punch!

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
You're underating his effectiveness against in his prime Lanny McDonald. No question the team was hurt long-term wise with that trade though. Williams really got under his friend's (heh, maybe former friend) skin.

Yeah and he scored a couple of big goals too. But my memory of him in those playoffs also includes cursing him out for several, stupid, untimely penalties. All in all, I think we would have been a better and more dangerous team in those playoffs with Vaive and Derlago instead. Not to mention the rest of the decade.
It pissed me off no end seeing guys suddenly start regularly scoring 50 goals as soon as the Canucks traded them away. Were we the only NHL team to go through the high scoring '80's without a 50 goal or 100 point player?

Also... you can't find a much in the way of footage of Bruce as a Canuck, but that clip is a nice one.

Reactions: Hit the post

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yes, I'm sure a lot of posters weren't even born yet when that '82 Canuck team confounded the experts....of course they got some help when the Kings beat the Gretkzy-Messier-Coffey Oilers in the "Miracle on Manchester' series. Top seeds were falling line nine pins that year, so the Canucks ended up playing .500 teams right to the finals before they ran into the juggernaut that was the Islanders.

And of course the whole white towel thing started when the late Roger Neilson and a few of the players, including the current Stars GM Jim Nill, hoisted some white towels on the end of hockey sticks in mock surrender, after the ref Bob (white cane) Myers called a string of Canuck penalties in a loss to Chicago..Neilsen along with a few of his players were ejected for their stunt. But next game there was a sea of white towels at the old Pacific Coliseum, and towel power was born.

And looking at that current sea of white at the MTS Center, I feel certain that most Jet fans have no idea where white towel power originated. That's why it's great they have a statue of Neilsen and his white towel surrender in front to Rogers Arena. Gotta love it, but oh the heart aches for some playoff hockey in VanCity.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Those were the days when it was fun to be a Canucks fan even though they didn't have the greatest teams. The internet has unfortunately given a voice to a new generation of obnoxious fans who bog down any meaningful discussion on the game.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i had a couple of david bruce sticks back in the day. bought them new on discount at cyclone taylor around 1990. never liked the curve but the price was right for a righty stick. for a long time i had a shaft converted for ball hockey but it got discarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad