OT: Raise the Jolly Rogers: The Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I didn't think we were going to win this game because of the pitching match-up, but I expected us to put up a fight.

The bright side is that we have an advantage on paper in the next two pitching match-ups and you're never really in trouble until you lose a game at home...the bad thing is we're ****ed for Game 5 now. Burnett vs. Wainwright Part II at Busch isn't appealing whatsoever...I'd consider starting Cole on 3 days rest and hoping that he can give you 5 decent innings.

But as I've said...Pirates in 4 or Cards in 5. I don't see a road team winning an elimination game in this series.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I didn't think we were going to win this game because of the pitching match-up, but I expected us to put up a fight.

The bright side is that we have an advantage on paper in the next two pitching match-ups...the bad thing is we're ****ed for Game 5 now.
Cole would be on 4 days rest for a (very) hypothetical Game 5, no? Not that Hurdle would have the chutzpah to make that call anyway.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Cole would be on 4 days rest for a (very) hypothetical Game 5, no? Not that Hurdle would have the chutzpah to make that call anyway.

You're correct, I forgot about that second day off.

If Cole is light's out tomorrow I can see that being on the table, at least....but I don't see Clint going with the rookie over the veteran in a Game 5 situation, no matter how smart it would be.

At least we won't be shutout.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Pretty bad, but I had more of a disappointed and annoyed reaction than anything else. I've seen a lot of worse **** as a Pirates fan, and at least this didn't happen on Tuesday. Cole tomorrow will be very interesting... as whygavs has been noting, he's been bad when he's had extended rest.

There is literally nothing good that can be said right now, but if we do win tomorrow, it's going to swing the pressure quite a bit given that Liriano will be slated for game 3 and game 4 is in Pittsburgh. A split is what's ideal in the first games, and thus we still have tomorrow. I think the key is going to be twofold: patience in our approach to Miller, and Cole's secondary stuff inducing early swing and misses.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If nothing else, it's really fun watching the Braves lose in the playoffs...and they're the home team here.

Almost feel bad for NBCSN right now...they put the Kings on for once and it's going head-to-head against a Dodgers playoff game.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Pretty bad, but I had more of a disappointed and annoyed reaction than anything else. I've seen a lot of worse **** as a Pirates fan, and at least this didn't happen on Tuesday. Cole tomorrow will be very interesting... as whygavs has been noting, he's been bad when he's had extended rest.

There is literally nothing good that can be said right now, but if we do win tomorrow, it's going to swing the pressure quite a bit given that Liriano will be slated for game 3 and game 4 is in Pittsburgh. A split is what's ideal in the first games, and thus we still have tomorrow. I think the key is going to be twofold: patience in our approach to Miller, and Cole's secondary stuff inducing early swing and misses.

Agreed in general but Miller isn't starting tomorrow unless I really missed something. At this point it's Lynn, no?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It is Lynn, who has been mediocre against the Pirates this season (5.60 ERA in 5 starts). There are plenty of Cardinal fans who are appropriately miffed by that, especially with Miller's home/road splits (1.75 ERA vs. 4.57 on the road and 0.971 WHIP to 1.475). Lynn's home stats are better than his road stats as well, but not at such a severe difference.

Miller may or may not start a game in this series at all...the Cards haven't announced a starter for Game 4, but that would be the one for Miller to start, and that game would be in Pittsburgh. Honestly, if I'm St. Louis I'd be using Miller as a reliever in this series. The Pirates have been the one team that has consistently figured that kid out, and until he starts throwing more breaking pitches that won't change. Miller is 0-4 against the Pirates and 16-5 against everyone else in his career. Wins and losses is hardly a perfect stat (Lynn is 2-1 against the Pirates despite his struggles against us this year because of being on the proper side of two blowout wins against James McDonald and Jonathan Sanchez), but that's still something.

Cole has been dominant on the road so far...but he's also only made 7 road starts compared to 12 home starts.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Ah yeah, didn't check before I made that post. Lynn is often very good against us, but he's had plenty of bad starts in the past few months. He does seem to have an advantage at PNC Park, but I think tomorrow is a nearly must-win if we want to take the series. I think that us taking one of two in St. Louis puts a ton of pressure on them--after Wainwright, their pitching isn't great. If we beat Lynn, I like our chances in a Liriano vs. Kelly matchup.

But it's hard to feel much positive vibes after today.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
I'd rather have the Braves win over the Dodgers. I just hate how Dodgers are now being the Yankees of the west with spending big bucks on everything that moves. I don't want to see teams doing that stuff succeed.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Pretty sweet that they're opening PNC Park for today's game...maybe I can score some tickets for game 3 while I'm there.

Steve Durbano

Mar 27, 2011
Burbs of Bmore
The announcer on the MLB Sirius Network said this morning,

"That's why Joe Girardi would have rather stepped on the third rail before starting AJ in a playoff game"

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I don't get MLBN where I am. Game 2 isn't being streamed on any local channels is it?

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
183006910.0_standard_400.0.jpg

Alvarez's face says it all

Let's get back on track today. Go Bucs

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
Is the game seriously start at 1pm and only on MLBN?

The hell is wrong with MLB? Who do they expect to watch that??

I Don't even have MLBN. Looks like ill have to find it somewhere else

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Intentional walk to get to Cole results in an RBI single...God, I love Cole.

Marte hit, bases loaded with 2 outs all of a sudden...and Neil promptly gounds out weakly to second. Damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad