OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: The Condemned of Altoona

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Looks like they might be trying pretty hard to make this game happen. First pitch was reportedly happening around 8:40, but now the tarp is back on. Rumblings from Brink et al about a cancelled game, with lightning still happening, but the forecast I'm seeing looks like it might clear up around 10? We might be in for a late night game. Guess it doesn't matter too much for us, since we're already going with a Sunday lineup and playing at home tomorrow too...

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, realistically, I'll take the "split" with the Brewers. Probably need to find a way to get 3/4 this weekend, but given how we've played in four game series, an actual split there would be fine too.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Looks like he didn't overwhelm, putting a couple guys on a few times on only getting 1 K, but good success and good to see that velocity there. He'll be slightly more interesting to follow this year with the training wheels off (last year he was pitching on very strict limits).

More relevant to the near/mid-term group of players, Keller put together another nice start: 6 scoreless, 4 K. He's now on a run of about 7 similar starts like that in a row, so good to see him finding consistency.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Anyone notice some of these former Pirates that are having really good years?

Gorkys Hernandez and Alen Hanson are doing a heck of a job for the Giants, its still a small sample size, but Hernandez already has 8 homers and Hanson has 5 homers and a 972 ops.

It honestly makes me wonder if those guys are on steroids.

And then you got Wade Leblanc starting in Seattle doing a good job.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Anyone notice some of these former Pirates that are having really good years?

Gorkys Hernandez and Alen Hanson are doing a heck of a job for the Giants, its still a small sample size, but Hernandez already has 8 homers and Hanson has 5 homers and a 972 ops.

It honestly makes me wonder if those guys are on steroids.

And then you got Wade Leblanc starting in Seattle doing a good job.

The answer is ... baseball.

Even if the are doing roids you still need to barrel up a ball at a good launch angle to hit those Hrs.

Garrett Jones...baseball. Tike Redmon...baseball, Chris Duffy... baseball, Jeff Locke...baseball, etc.. Im not sure there is another sport where bad players play so well for half a season at a time. Its weird, its ...baseball.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The answer is ... baseball.

Even if the are doing roids you still need to barrel up a ball at a good launch angle to hit those Hrs.

Garrett Jones...baseball. Tike Redmon...baseball, Chris Duffy... baseball, Jeff Locke...baseball, etc.. Im not sure there is another sport where bad players play so well for half a season at a time. Its weird, its ...baseball.

I'm not sure i'd lump Garrett Jones into that group, he had some decent years in baseball.

But i get your point.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

With Dickerson out this is the best possible lineup the Pirates can put on the field.

I'm shocked, i can't even remember the last time Hurdle put his best lineup on the field.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
If you wanted to nitpick, you could say Diaz has been the better C recently and Osuna probably provides a better bat at 1B or RF. But again, it's splitting hairs.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Definitely a huge game tonight. We did win the opening game of that Padres series, but we've lost all the other openers of four game series (not a shocker).

Godley had a lot of hype coming into this year but has only been so-so. Especially with a Nova-Corbin matchup tomorrow, we need a strong effort from Kuhl tonight.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I actually have a good feeling about this series.

Corbin has been trash lately.

Greinke isn't good on the road, i don't know what Greinke career numbers are against the Pirates, but it just seems like we do pretty good against him.

Godley and Buchholz aren't great either.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Nothing like having absolutely no chance whatsoever as soon as the game has started. Kuhl is getting crushed.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Hopefully he can put this one behind him next time out. It would be a shame if all of the progress he made just reverted back to inconsistency.

We have to somehow find a way to split this series.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Thought it was a bad idea to go with Kuhl today. Seems like a guy who is bothered more than most when his routine is disrupted, like with a start being delayed a day.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Some other mildly good things about today are that we didn't waste Glasnow and that the Cubs lost to the Reds (the Brewers and Cards are playing each other, so one will lose and one win). Probably not much point in scoreboard watching, but hopefully we'll see some urgency tomorrow.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
We've relapsed to the lineup from the other day, Rodriguez in LF and all. Given how hittable Nova can be sometimes, I wouldn't be shocked if we're in for a similar treat as last night. We need another good performance from him and a mad Musgrove tomorrow.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Corbin should just have to throw one slider to the first batter of the inning. If they can't hit it, the inning is over.
Nova looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad