OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: The Condemned of Altoona

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
A two-out homer. I mean, great, but still two outs. Hard to get a big inning going when you're hanging on the edge like that

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
A two-out homer. I mean, great, but still two-outs. Hard to get a big inning going when you're hanging on the edge like that

When is the last time we had a 2 run homer? All solo shots.

Someone had to get on there. Another tease of a game so far.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Put in Diaz to lead off next inning. This isnt Cervelli's night. Gives us a better chance at getting the first batter on this time.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Put in Diaz to lead off next inning. This isnt Cervelli's night. Gives us a better chance at getting the first batter on this time.

Hurdle would never do this. Cervelli is the veteran.

On one hand, you can say Cervelli just doesn't have it tonight and won't get a hit. On the other, you could say he's due. We shall see.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Already screwed on the first pitch by this ump. All night.

Game over. Lol another tease.

Like I said...theyll get back to scoring 7 runs a game when pitching lets up 8.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Too many of these types of games this year.

Bats and Pitching havent been on the same page since we were 26-17. Even the 10 wins we got since then(20 losses) were a struggle.

Cant see that changing anytime soon.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Wouldnt mind seeing them trade Harrison, Cervelli, and Dickerson. Mercer as well . Have Meadows to step in for Dickerson..no more rotating. Diaz in for Cervelli. And Newman/Kramer for Mercer/Harrison.
Might as well go with the young guys.

Should be able to get some good returns for Dickerson, Cervelli, and Harrison. We need more pitching. Thats the way to do it. Get a few top prospects from teams in the hunt and desperate to add at those positions.

Trade all the vets...let a young clubhouse take over. Theyre still naive and not use to the losing ways in Pittsburgh.

Those guys mentioned may land us a few solid pitchers. Let Newman and Kramer get their chance. Then we have solid position players being moved up to Indy(logjam in Altoona) and Cruz/Mitchell moved up to Altoona. Need to pray some of these guys pan out and can take this team to the next level. There are a ton of them..but alot of "ifs".

Need to hope Keller becomes better than Taillon too. Dont see Taillon as an ace. But a solid #2. And hope Glasnow can pan out the way we expected.

Like I said...theres plenty of talent in the system, but so many things have to go our way.

All I know is group right now cant get on the same page. 10-20 in last 30 now. And its always someones turn to disappear for a loss when they were hitting fine the game before(yet werent getting help) . They know whats on the line at this point. Still not getting it done.

Try to land a top pitching prospect for one of those guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: That1Kid

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Tough one to lose, but it happens against good opponents. This is somewhat like Sunday, where it seems quasi-necessary based on circumstance and opportunity. There, it was more clearly at Musgrove's feet, whereas tonight, Taillon could have been sharper, but we needed to chip away earlier. Obviously, we had also won the series already then. Have to move on and win the series again tomorrow. Could have gotten a whole fistful of wins back in short order, but we'll still be in fine position if we get a series win. Bell and especially Polanco continue to look like they are emerging from it.

I'd like to see Dickerson get his day for Meadows tomorrow, and probably Cervelli down for Diaz. Cervelli just looks a bit lost at the plate. He's sold out some for power, but it seems like adjustments have been made and now the rug is out from under him a bit. With a lefty starting, I'd assume Osuna will be in the game, and Hurdle will probably also put Freese in.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Cervelli has had a very good year overall, but so has Diaz.

I think i'd prefer a catcher rotation over a outfield rotation.

Catcher is actually the position where a rotation is useful because catchers take a beating.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Seems unlikely to me that he'd be called up unless someone is going on the DL. I could be mistaken there's some rule about the way optional assignment works.

I guess Osuna could be shuttled back, but the obvious move of DFAing Rodriguez would be an utter shock, with his bobblehead day just a couple days away. Who knows.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I was looking at the Pirates 4 outfielders stats in June.

Basically none of the outfielders have played good in June.

Polanco actually has the best stats of the 4 outfielders in June.

This outfield rotation has hurt all 4 of them.

Unless you believe all 4 of them happened to go in a slump at the same time.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

It's not even worth saying anything about it. We all agree. It is offensively bad to put a non-outfielder with no bat into the lineup in a crucial rubber match against a key division rival. We can only hope that it accelerates the end of Rodriguez, Hurdle, or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->