OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: The Condemned of Altoona Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Sean Rodriguez was trending on Twitter. Handedness be damned you just can't play him anymore. Frazier would've been fine

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Four strikeouts and an error! What else more does Hurdle and the FO have to see to realize S-Rod is arguably the worst player in the major leagues right now? It's absolutely ridiculous to keep him on the team. It ticks me off especially considering the excitement of the past 24 hours.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
It's frustrating watching the team be held hostage by their manager like this. He doesn't seem to care about effectiveness at all. A number of his philosophies and related strategies simply do not work yet he continues to implement them.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
As shitty as that game was, and the SRod experience will continue to be, I still can't let my excitement for tomorrow really wane. Expectations are going to be very high for Archer, and this won't exactly help matters, but the closest analogue to this is when we had top prospects like Cole and Taillon making their debut. Except in Archer's case, we're seeing the debut of someone who should already more or less be the best player on the team, not someone we hope will step up and fill that role eventually.

In terms of the concrete, the Cardinals offense is about average, so it's probably not the wisest move to expect 7 shutout innings with a bunch of Ks or something. But regardless of what happens, the fact that we have Archer stepping in tomorrow is simply monumental. Last night was a "good" lesson in how tough making the playoffs is actually going to be, but can you imagine what the sentiment might be if we hadn't acquired him? We'd be coming off two disaster starts from Kingham in a row, wondering if fatigue has just overcome him, wondering if Kuhl might actually pitch again, debating over whether we should just put Glasnow in the rotation and hope for the best, etc.

We clearly need Dickerson back ASAP, and to find some kind of a solution in the infield somehow, whether it's calling up Kramer (potentially injured last night, but has been on a torrid pace in June and July) or Newman (has tapered off at the plate a little bit in July), or getting lucky with Harrison.

I'm preaching to the choir, but even strategically, Rodriguez is somewhat superfluous if we're going to keep Luplow around. Luplow provides a big RH bat as 4th OF, and having somebody like Kramer in the mix would give you a good balance in the infield, with him and Moran as lefties and Freese and JHay as righties. The big weakness, I guess, is who backs up Marte in CF, but it's not like Rodriguez is actually a plus defender there, just maybe the best of the bad options. I think with an ideal roster, we have Dickerson and Bell back, Kramer up, another pitcher (Burdi? 1 pretty bad outing in AA, but 9 Ks in 6 innings is a good sign) up, and Bostick, Frazier, Osuna, and SRod all down. Maybe you keep Frazier over Luplow, especially if he's going to hit, and maybe a different pitcher also comes up for McRae.

The Pirates should be all over Shawn Kelley being DFAd by the Nationals. He's had some HR problems, but if you fix those, he's a very good arm, and if you don't, at least he's more than adequate in middle relief.

For those who need some kind of Pirates fix today, Keller is starting for Indianapolis tonight. I don't know if it's possible to find decent minor league streams - it's so dumb that MiLB is a separate package from MLB tv, and I really wonder how much money they actually make off it.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I posted yesterday I think that Archer has an ERA of 3 since May 1, for those rumblings about "he's having another 4+ ERA year" etc etc., but I didn't see until just now that over the same time, his FIP is 1.66. With our defense, it's maybe not worth getting too crazy about that number, but both of those are still excellent.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I scored bleacher tickets for tomorrow's game.

yeeeaaahhh-loki.gif

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I gave some thought to buying a bus ticket and trying to get cheap seats or convince a friend with a season ticket pass to take me, but it's not one of his games in the split, and as an adjunct professor of philosophy, I haven't been paid since May.

I do have pretty big expectations, though I think ultimately, Archer will settle into a role of 1a and 1b with Taillon, neither being truly dominant, 7 elite innings every start, but both being very good, more or less consistent, and at times utterly untouchable. Best case scenario over the next few years IMO is that Musgrove becomes essentially a 1c situation, and Keller is banging on the door sooner rather than later.

The rotation is the most important factor heading into these last two months, I think. If everybody continues to pitch as well as they have, then we'll have a strong chance of winning a lot more series than we lose, which is how we'll make the playoffs (...duh). Even with some of the stumblings lately, we haven't lost a series yet since the road series in Arizona in early July. If we can manage to win the next three series, things will feel pretty good heading into the remainder of that stretch.

One nice thing is that we're going to dodge Martinez. Looks like the matchups this weekend will be Archer vs Gant, Nova vs TBA, and Williams vs Flaherty. Gant is already not exactly a starter, and Saturday will probably be filled somehow by Poncedeleon and Gomber. I'm hesitant to say this given what the lineup will inevitably be, but the only way to look at this series is take advantage of the matchups and get the wins Friday and Saturday, and have the Cardinals really on their heels for a matchup that probably favors them Sunday.

The lineup Friday really should be Frazier leading off and playing LF, with Harrison lower in the order at 2B, and Freese in at 1B over Osuna. Frazier, Marte, Polanco, Cervelli, Freese, Moran, Harrison, Mercer at least seems a lot better on paper than the lineups we've been seeing lately. Then you hopefully get Dickerson back Saturday, and Frazier can perhaps play second base if JHay still isn't ready for everyday action, and especially if his bat looked as good as it did very recently. I'm willing to give Clint a halfway pass on trying to just stack the lineups vs LHP with righties, but there's no more excuses this weekend.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
With Bell on the mend for a potentially indefinite amount of time, given how oblique injuries tend to go, I was starting to wonder if the Pirates would get more bold than they usually do and give Craig a promotion. Besides the usual conservative approach when it comes to minor league at-bats, two obstacles towards it are that he's not on to 40-man, and he's not exactly crushing AA, even though his HR numbers are pretty good, and the hitting seems average.

Osuna has often been a victim of circumstance, but we could really use some good production out of him. It seems like the best way forward will be essentially a platoon between him and Freese, with Moran basically playing everyday.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The 40-man thing is a non-issue. They have a handful of guys only the most diehard of diehards have ever even heard of.

I've always been an Osuna fan. I liked what I saw last year and thought he'd take a step forward at the plate this year. He has done that in AAA, and that's fine. But I don't understand why it's not translating. His BA is 60 points lower this season than last in MLB (.233 vs. .172). I was hoping he'd be around .255.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, that's definitely true, and without looking it up, he probably has to be added in the winter anyways.

I think it comes down to a developmental question, and they won't do it unless they are forced to by injury or something. Still, we're sort of at the point in the season where even a hot stretch of 10 games would be huge. Hopefully Osuna can deliver - he has before, but he's looked as bad as I can ever remember him early on.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The Cubs lost to the Padres, and the Brewers are currently getting crushed by the Dodgers, which is nice for the division race. Cards beat the Rockies, but that may be a good thing. Scoreboard watching is going to be somewhat pointless with so many teams bunched up. The only way to really separate in a short timespan is by either winning a bunch or losing a bunch. Let's hope tomorrow marks the beginning of some solid, strong baseball.

Keller seems to have made a small step forward tonight. Still 4 ER in 6 IP, which is nothing amazing, but it's among the best starts he's had in Indy, and the damage all came in one bad inning. 6 Ks but 3 BBs. Hopefully the first step towards a nice finish to his season. It'll be a conversation for the winter, but it will be interesting to see what kind of approach we take with him next year. It'd be really surprising if he didn't start in Indy, and realistically, stay there until at least Super Two has passed, but depending on how he settles in, he could free up the possibility of dealing an arm at the deadline, or even in the winter (if you assume Kingham or Kuhl would be back in the mix out of spring training).

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
With Sonny Gray hitting the Yanks bullpen, I'm curious if the Pirates look to make a move for him. His stock has to be at an all-time low and if Searage can turn him around the rotation would become nasty.

Last edited:

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
With Sonny Gray hitting the Yanks bullpen, I'm curious if the Pirates look to make a move for him. His stock has to be at an all-time low and if Searage can turn him around the rotation would become nasty.

I would love that as an August add. Archer, Gray, Taillon, Musgrove, Nova/Williams

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Because of Nova's contract, I assume Williams would be the odd man out and moved to the bullpen, unfortunately, unless he's sent to the Yankees.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
According to Adam Berry there is a report out of Korea saying the Kang needs wrist surgery and will be out at least 3 months

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Nova and some other pieces for Gray would be a trade I would look into

I don't know if the Yankees would want Nova, to be honest. Their rotation is pretty full. I'm guessing they'd take a solid BP arm and a prospect. Maybe Williams + Eppler/Holmes?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I like the idea of going after Gray, though I wonder if his contract and upside is still worth enough that he wouldn't pass through waivers. Also, the Yankees probably need him to start again after that disastrous game yesterday, so I doubt they'd be looking to dump his contract yet.

The DFA'd player I'm hoping we take a run at is Shawn Kelley, and a really nice potential August trade would be Cutch as 4th OF + Holland as an additional LHP.

Realistically, I think the main potential boosts are Burdi, and whether or not one of the players like Osuna, Luplow, Frazier can really go on a hot streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad