OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: The Condemned of Altoona Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
So, I don't think Brault is very good. Problem is, with Glasnow gone and Kuhl out until September, their only option is Holmes...who also isn't very good.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The kingham/brault combo let up 12 against the mets . And did this tonight.

They are the weak links. the rest of our rotation and pen is fine. Was hoping to get lucky this game and kingham managed to only allow 3 over 4 or 5 innings but whatever. Get this game over with and get rid of the guys that dont belong in a playoff race.

Reactions: Kip Drordy

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Kingham/SRod bailed Hamels out(along with the ump giving him every call) ...if we had any of our other starters tonight, Hamels gets rocked.

Glad we have another day off tomm, the less games we play without bell and Dickerson the better.

Archer starting on Friday, we need to start another win streak. Sweep the Cards, they are a mess right now.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Kingham/SRod bailed Hamels out(along with the ump giving him every call) ...if we had any of our other starters tonight, Hamels gets rocked.

Glad we have another day off tomm, the less games we play without bell and Dickerson the better.

Archer starting on Friday, we need to start another win streak. Sweep the Cards, they are a mess right now.

The off day also means we don't have to be tortured to watch S-Rod in the starting lineup.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The off day also means we don't have to be tortured to watch S-Rod in the starting lineup.

At the point now where NH has to do something , release him so Hurdle cant play him. And its not even about injuries. Hurdle plays him with a healthy lineup..actually thinks hes a good baseball player.

Batting .160 and cant play defense. That should give every little kid out there hope they could also make the major leagues and 8mil a year. Doesnt take much apparently.

Reactions: TNT87

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Well, we're not going to win this one, and it seems like a very good bet that this game is going to get even uglier, but can't be too encouraging to see this performance out of Hamels if you are a Cubs fan. If the bats get going, Hamels might not even get through 5 innings tonight.

The really annoying thing with Brault, and Glasnow had some flashes of this too, though he mostly eliminated it this year, is that he tends to manufacture his own bad luck by throwing pitches that are just flat out atrocious, and do no work. It's like his control completely vanishes for periods of time, and that is a surefire way to be a terrible bullpen arm. This is one reason why I really wanted an addition bullpen arm yesterday, because I don't think Brault is reliable in anything other than a mop up role. If he doesn't give the Cubs two more runs, we might actually be in this game.

The Cubs have had a ton of luck tonight with their hits. Only Zobrist has really hit the ball well. But there's no doubt that they are vastly superior. Luckily we have a day off tomorrow to reset and get ready for a key final home series vs the Cards.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Glasnow finished with 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 5 K, and 1 BB on 48 pitches.

Had a bad feeling he would reach his potential and become a top of the rotation starter if he left Pitt. You could tell his problem was mental. Still only 24. With how great his stuff is I would have liked to have seen him stick around

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Then Heyward gets another "double" down the line. Hopefully that ball to the face knocked some sense into this umpire, he's been utter trash all night.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Cant wait to see Archer and Kela after watching Kingham and Brault tonight. Pathetic performance.

Holmes should be up over Brault. Hes much better.

Good news about games like this is it really shows what type of team you have. Proves we havent been getting lucky winning 16 out of those 20. We have a ton of talent on this team. As soon as we bring in our worst starter this happens tonight. And he also(along with Brault) lost the first Mets game letting up 12 runs.

Cant wait to see what this team does once Dickerson and Bell are back, with Archer and Kela.

Last edited:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Obviously need to see how Glasnow looks after 4 or 5 outings, but I too have the feeling he's going find his groove in TB.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
i dunno, another appearance where he gives up a run, which seems like his mo. granted giving up 1 er in 3 ip isnt the end of hte world, but doing that every time except when you implode doesnt make for a very effective reliever.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
i dunno, another appearance where he gives up a run, which seems like his mo. granted giving up 1 er in 3 ip isnt the end of hte world, but doing that every time except when you implode doesnt make for a very effective reliever.

Wasnt really basing it off that performance. I just think as soon as he calms down , hes going to reach his potential. Plenty of top prospects cant handle that label, feel the pressure. Which is obviously worse when it comes to pitching, confidence being a big factor.

Scouts still rave about his stuff. All about finding that confidence now. He didnt have it here. Had the same look in his eyes as Kingham did tonight...a deer in headlights.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
Wasnt really basing it off that performance. I just think as soon as he calms down , hes going to reach his potential. Plenty of top prospects cant handle that label, feel the pressure. Which is obviously worse when it comes to pitching, confidence being a big factor.

Scouts still rave about his stuff. All about finding that confidence now. He didnt have it here. Had the same look in his eyes as Kingham did tonight...a deer in headlights.
that could very well be. just think that the likelihood that happens keeps getting lower and it no longer necessarily seems like a matter of time.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Marte cant steal. Has the speed but does not know how to run a base. Dont know why he bothers. Could have had 2 on and no outs. Who knows what happens.

Still early in the game , as sloppy as this has been this team is still capable of putting up a 3-4 run inning .

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Shocked Brault only let up 2 runs so far. Holmes needs to be up.

Newman/Kramer up . Srod and Kingham down.

Kramer at 2nd, brings power . Its a shame Kang got hurt or we could already have him there.

Letting Hamels get 7 strikeouts already when hes had over a 11 era in July. Really hope tonights game, with this lineup....finally makes them call up Newman and Kramer. Giving them a chance. Cant be any worse than Srod/Osuna. We obviously need Dickerson and Bell back as well.

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
3-4 now since those injuries. After the 11 game win streak(which would have probably kept going). 2 of the losses coming from Kingham. So him being out of the rotation now for Archer will help. But still say we needed to address the lineup at the deadline. 9ks for Hamels. 11 era in July until tonight.

There were plenty of IFs we could have added at deadline. Escobar, Cabrera, and Dozier who all got traded for little.

Gonna need our rotation(Archer in, Kingham out) to continue to pitch well going forward . And hope we can get by until Dickerson and Bell are back. Osuna isnt a MLB player.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Should have started Archer tonight. Let him go vs Hamels.

Kingham/Brault doing what they did had a negative impact on the bats the rest of the way and gave Hamels the confidence he needed. So we never had a chance.

Srod continuing to strikeout 98% of the time.

NH cant make the moves he made yesterday and keep a guy like Rodriguez on this team

gtpeli2

Feb 5, 2014
SeanRod is absolutely atrocious. Too bad Neal couldn't include Hurdle in the trade.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Two of the losses since the winning streak have been in games where Kingham lost the game in the first inning. This one stings because it's just a lot of ugliness all around, but Kingham looks like he's out of steam entirely. We're replacing him with Archer, and the other pitchers have continued to look pretty good.

I don't really think Archer should have started this game. Better to let him settle in, and get the roster somewhat reorganized for the weekend series and road trip. We're lucky to get out of this with a split, and now we need to focus on three pretty tough series. 6-3 would be a great run over the next little while, and should help us get to within a more comfortable 2 games or so of the WC race.

We're in for a lot of drama over the next several weeks, and dropping a game so badly shouldn't just be dismissed, but there's not a lot else you can do. Kingham was terrible, which got compounded by horrible luck, and the offense couldn't do anything to get back in the mix early against some real shakiness by Hamels, even if some of his pitches looked incredible. Honestly, I think the two big turning points in this game were Polanco's first at-bat, where a bad call went against him, and Brault's inability to put up some clean innings early on, especially walking in two runs.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I seriously don't know what else they need to see from SeanRod. Just can him already. There are people in the stands who could hit .160.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Huntington should just do it to kind of send a message. Newman is almost definitely a better hitter and defender, and we could get a small look at him for next year as well (though either way, I expect we'll resign Mercer for two years, similar to when we signed Barmes with Mercer coming up).

I just think there's no way he'll do it for vague clubhouse reasons/impinging on Hurdle's turf, but it's beyond the point of ridiculousness now. It's one thing if he is bringing consistent plus defense, and I was kinda hoping he'd find some kind of swing again, only because I'd be really surprised if he was cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad