OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Tanking underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I think in general, and with respect to Biertempfel's idiocy published today, it's a much better thing for us fans to ask if Nutting wants to win, rather than somebody like Polanco, given how hard he's worked to get back into game shape and recover from his injury.

No doubt.

I have nothing against Bell/Polanco. I just never really saw the hype on either. Polanco, pretty early on demonstrated a low baseball IQ and unfortunately that's something I think you either have or don't. Obviously there are varying degrees but you don't move the needle much as you might with hitting for better average/more power for example.

On top of that, his swing is looooooooong. I don't think he recognizes pitches very well either. Really crappy on the bases, which is sad given he is quite athletic.

I'm not sure he ever heard the Bonds hype in the media, but if he did, that was unfair to the kid.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm very glad I have somehow managed to become completely emotionally detached from the team during the pandemic. Don't love getting no hit but who cares? Gets us back on the road to Rocker, that's more important.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I will say as someone who watched the game that Giolito was on another level tonight. Our offense is bad, but to some extent that's been skewed due to injury and simultaneous underperformance from basically everyone. More importantly, a number of guys have been swinging a better bat in recent games, but Giolito had everybody confused tonight. Undoubtedly deserved this one, sometimes you just have to tip the cap.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Oh wow, they got No-No'd last night.

Props to Giolito. Even with a lineup as bad as the Pirates, getting an MLB No Hitter is still damn hard to do. Hopefully the team gives a couple more pitchers chances at some No-Nos throughout September.

#RoadToRocker
#LeiterTheWay
#HikeUpTheHill
#ThudForJud

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Finally, I hope Cherrington absolutely nukes this team. I'm fine with him showing some patience instead of nuking the team last off-season, but not selling high on Bell is going to look really dumb if he sells him for peanuts right now.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think given what he's operating with, it's really relative with a range of options for what Cherington should do. It makes total sense for him to open up for a firesale but there's a gap between doing that to get offers and actually selling off everyone.

If he sells off everyone, then the rebuild becomes displaced into the far future – think 5-6 years, because the kinds of guys we'd get wouldn't be up and contributing into Hayes and so on are well into their careers.

There's not really anybody that shouldn't be traded if the right deal were to come along, but there has to be a concerted plan to build somewhat around a core that's already here. I would like to see if we can turn up some guys like Barreto and Touki in order to inject them around young players like Reynolds, Tucker, Keller and then see what happens. Bullpen guys, it goes without saying, should be sold off for whatever. Lots of position players could play useful roles on a team built for the next 3-4 years and beyond, but nobody is really iron-clad, though for depth and return reasons I probably wouldn't look to flip Reynolds, Tucker, Stallings. My contentious piece who for all intents and purposes should be available, but I wouldn't move, is Kuhl. I'd extend him.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

We have cash to give?

That PTBNL will end up being Reynolds.

200.gif

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I would read the Davis move as a clear indication Holland will be moved. My guess right now: Holland and RichRod will be moved with absolute certainty. If he is somehow healthy which now seems unlikely, so will Kela. I think Frazier has a very high likelihood and may in fact garner the best return but I wouldn't say for sure. My dream trade would be sending him to Oakland for Barreto and Heim, but Oakland might balk at that.

Beyond that I think there are any number of possibilities but that's how I read things.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I would read the Davis move as a clear indication Holland will be moved. My guess right now: Holland and RichRod will be moved with absolute certainty. If he is somehow healthy which now seems unlikely, so will Kela. I think Frazier has a very high likelihood and may in fact garner the best return but I wouldn't say for sure. My dream trade would be sending him to Oakland for Barreto and Heim, but Oakland might balk at that.

Beyond that I think there are any number of possibilities but that's how I read things.

Austin Allen hasnt shown anything yet in the majors but barely given a chance. Was blocked while on Padres and now As. Has 3 20+ HR seasons in the minors. Id take him packaged with Barreto.

Or we figure out a way to get Sean Murphy from them and they go with Heim/Allen duo. Give em an offer they cant refuse.

If basically most the team is up for grabs, this is the chance to land a franchise catcher. Whether thats Murphy or not.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It would definitely be a dream to get Murphy but I don't see a great way to pull it off and assume he's untouchable. Allen is a good mention, though iirc he's not great defensively. But maybe you think you can mentor him/Stallings can help out, and go that route. That combo of Barreto/Allen might not cost too much actually. The word seems to be that Frazier has surprisingly high value because teams like the defense, metrics, bat speed etc. We'll see. At this point it seems like more important things are taking place.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Interesting flyer to take. Doesn't seem too complicated, though I'm sure more might be there. Huge power + speed guy but struggles mightily with the hit tool. Could very well be a kind of pickup that if Eckstein can get something to click, provides some really nice value. No reason not to take the flier in my opinion; I'm mostly fine with Oliva being kept down this year when it comes down to it. Only exception would be something big like Polanco is moved and then Reynolds is moved in a surprising deal, and Dyson is shuffled off somehow, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->