Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Pirates prospect detained after fatal car crash

So he was the driver of the jeep.

No alcohol involved but given 3 people died, you can bet he's going to get sued. Out after curfew and I'd imagine he was going pretty damn fast to have killed 3 people.

I have zero expectations with Cruz at this point. I just hope the families who lost loved ones are given whatever comfort they can. And Cruz should be given every resource possible from a mental standpoint. I can't imagine what he's going through right now.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah the closing line of that ESPN article does not sound good. My presumption is that he wouldn't face any charges given what we know, and perhaps that there's no grounds to sue, but I have no idea about DR law obviously. Just a horrible situation all around and you can only shake your head.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I have a feeling tomorrow will be Williams' last start as a Pirate. I was a long-time backer, but the bottom has really fallen out over the last 2+ seasons and I have to assume given the impending cost-cutting measures which will characterize the league, he won't be tendered.

In fact, I have seen some rumblings that there will be a lot of non-tenders as teams try to tighten up. If this happens it will also have an adverse effect on free agency in general and surely be one more reason there will be a strike before the next CBA.

Edit- whoops, totally jumped the gun on Williams, who starts tomorrow instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImporterExporter

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I guess we'll see. If I'm not mistaken Biertempfel and maybe others were reporting earlier in the day that alcohol wasn't involved in what I assume are now deleted tweets because I can't find them. Probably best to assume the worst. Horrible situation all around, and I'm not sure levity is the best option, but I guess it's good we have 400 shortstops in the system.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
also very good chance

Archer was pitching while injured & needed Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Surgery

Archer has f***ing sucked the entire time he’s been here and any objective fan and TB fan can tell you he was at least on a year plus downward swing before he got here.

The Pirates went after David Price but ended up with Archer. It’s like the Penguins when they traded enough to get Derian Hatcher but ended up with Kevin Hatcher. We all saw this train wreck coming.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm waiting to find out more information before passing some judgment. Not sure it's worth getting into condone/don't condone (especially as the legal limit in DR is effectively one light beer, it's harsher than the US), since I doubt anyone condones DUI. Nothing has been established yet and we have conflicting reports, so who actually knows. Also not worth getting into whether or not there could be some kind of weird politicking going on or the police report, etc. Just have to wait and see. I am assuming the worst, in that his career is basically dead in the water.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I am assuming the worst, in that his career is basically dead in the water.

Baseball wise, you kind of have to take this stance. Any "better" outcome is welcome, but can't assume he'll be able to continue his career at the moment.

I feel like trash talking about the baseball side with so many lives affected and lost and a baseball fan's expectations and feeling mean less than nothing, but man, the potential career that was shaping up.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, any baseball stuff is obviously only the smallest part of an equation, to the extent that judgment is knowable and possible about other matters. And as IE was pointing out, charges could be dropped, name cleared, etc., and he could totally not find his game or stay on track, especially given that he lost a year of development this year.

The proceedings are apparently at 3:30pm today, so maybe we'll know more.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
33542064-8765561-image-a-57_1600891765549.jpg

Pittsburgh Pirates prospect Oneil Cruz accused of drunk driving in crash that killed three | Daily Mail Online

Apparently he has a reputation for speeding in the area as well.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
What seems to be the main issue right now as far as I understand is the toxicology report. As of last night when the charges were filed, it was not available, which is pretty peculiar but I guess not uncommon regardless of the country. Today the proceedings were delayed from the morning to the afternoon, and are now delayed to Friday. My guess is that the toxicology report isn't great news and the lawyers are trying to find some way to invalidate it or call it into question.

It's cynical and not appropriate to the tragedy at hand, but I guess it's a good thing we got Peguero.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
We do probably really want to drop this game – the Rangers play the Astros this weekend and could easily get swept.

Gotta feel for Oliva a bit. He's probably had three balls that easily could have fallen for a hit. Good to see him hitting the ball hard in any event.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
You damn well better be knocking on a lot of wood right now!

He's been better than I could have ever imagined at the dish.

But can we lose and lock up last already???

Watch us get 2nd. Texas will lose tonight and have 4 left against Astros. If we hang on and win tonight we will only be 2 games ahead with 1 more against Cubs(already clinched) and 3 against Cleveland. Indians are great but already clinched playoffs.

We may tie with the Rangers. Idk they work that out

At least we cant drop down past 2nd with all of the other teams winning alot lately. Its either first or second.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think if we tie them, it goes to last year's record, so we'd win that tiebreaker. I definitely want to get 1.1 for the novelty, but I think there's not an extremely clear different right now, and 1 v 2 is obviously a huge difference compared to 1/2 v 5/6 or later. The only caveat is that it's at least feasible that one of Rocker / Leiter really separates themselves by the time the draft rolls around, but without denigrating either of them, it's also possible that Hill or one of the position players pops up.

Clearly you want the option of choosing, but we'll see what happens. The "magic number" is 2, and it's well within the realm of possibility that we'll handle that on our own with no help needed from the Rangers. We're playing somewhat better, even in some of the games we dropped lately, but we're also plenty bad enough.

Edit: it looks like we actually clinched a top-2 pick last night anyways, assuming the order won't be changed by a lottery or otherwise.

Last edited:

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
thinking reynolds doesnt need to turn his season around here at the end adn should save these hits for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad