OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
IMO the next stretch is pretty do or die, simply in terms of whether or not the team has a puncher's chance to stay relevant as we get close to the warm months of the summer.

I guess it's possible that we could continue to struggle in the A's series, as well as against the Rockies and Angels, and then stay in the thick of it, but it's pretty much desperation time as far as getting some Ws back on the board and having a better 10-game stretch.

Eh the season is 162 games long. I have a tough time saying any sort of stretch 30 games into the year is a "do or die". A hot 10 game run in July can completely negate out a cold run in August.

I don't think things are amazing right now, and I can definitely criticize quite a few players. At the same time, some of the criticisms in here seem over the top and complaining to complain. Like Hayes is a good example of this, there was a post that Hayes "regressed back to 2022 form" above yet he's still at a 112 OPS+ on the year (at least before this game right now).

I'm not trying to gatekeep what is fair and what isn't fair to criticize, because there is so much to criticize. But at least from what I can tell, some of it is reaching unnecessary levels overreacting to a bad stretch. With that being said, some guys on the Pirates (namely Bednar, Tellez, Davis and Suwinski) have been truly ghastly so far and absolutely deserve the criticism that has been thrown there way here.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know they use Joe in more of a platoon role against lefties, but I really feel like he should be the everyday 1B until he cools off.

He obviously beats up on lefties, but he also has a .269/.345./.423 slash line against righties so far this year. Even taking out how awful Tellez has been, Joe has an OPS+ of 120 against righties this year and that's plenty good enough to be the everyday 1B.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Eh the season is 162 games long. I have a tough time saying any sort of stretch 30 games into the year is a "do or die". A hot 10 game run in July can completely negate out a cold run in August.

I don't think things are amazing right now, and I can definitely criticize quite a few players. At the same time, some of the criticisms in here seem over the top and complaining to complain. Like Hayes is a good example of this, there was a post that Hayes "regressed back to 2022 form" above yet he's still at a 112 OPS+ on the year (at least before this game right now).

I'm not trying to gatekeep what is fair and what isn't fair to criticize, because there is so much to criticize. But at least from what I can tell, some of it is reaching unnecessary levels overreacting to a bad stretch. With that being said, some guys on the Pirates (namely Bednar, Tellez, Davis and Suwinski) have been truly ghastly so far and absolutely deserve the criticism that has been thrown there way here.

No, it really is that bad.
These guys are fraudulent. To some extent the comment about Hayes was overkill though.

The offense needs to score 4 runs a game. If they can't, most of them should be replaced.

Mitch Keller also sucks.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Keller is okay in every sense of the word

Would have been nice to sign some other ball throwers though to compliment it

Why couldn't we have just gone year to year with this okay dude in arbitration? We had 2 more years.

He regressed so hard in the 2nd half of last year, it's baffling to think we needed to extend him with 2 years of team control remaining.

It's for the PR and the vibes of the team, not a player who deserved it.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
This lineup is as bad as it's ever been. How are we in year 6 of the rebuild and have not made one significant upgrade in the lineup? This can very easily be a 90-95 loss team.

I think 100 honestly.

Bob Nutting is terrible, but Ben Cherington is just about as bad of an exec/baseball czar.
Don't see how anyone can defend this failure any more.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Yeah, we don't want to go late into games with the score close

It's unlikely that we'll beat the bullpen

And the A's have some long bomb hitters with speed, too
Just quoting myself

My scouting report on the A's holds up. How do I send this to the team?

Outclassing us in all metrics

To think, we are going to have a losing west coast swing

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
At this point I think Haines must be fired, Suwinski/Davis must be sent down and Tellez must be released just to send a message.

Honestly I am hoping the team is booed mercilessly and insulted by the fans on Friday. They deserve so much hate. What a disgusting group.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I think 100 honestly.

Bob Nutting is terrible, but Ben Cherington is just about as bad of an exec/baseball czar.
Don't see how anyone can defend this failure any more.
Besides Hayes and Reynolds, the entire lineup is cheap cast offs, like it always was. It's absolutely horrific stuff.

I forgot about Cruz, but even he doesn't move the needle.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Besides Hayes and Reynolds, the entire lineup is cheap cast offs, like it always was. It's absolutely horrific stuff.

I forgot about Cruz, but even he doesn't move the needle.

Cruz is a 6'7 guy with lightning quick hands. Too bad he can't actually hit MLB pitching. For a lineup-carrying kind of prospect his track record is extremely suspect.

You're right though, it's a vastly undertalented lineup. Suwinski was a B- prospect who was the 2nd piece of the Adam Frazier trade behind Marcano who BC coveted (gone). Triolo is a glove/utility guy. MAT was available for $4M in March. Cutch is washed. Tellez was a dart throw that failed.

The scary part is BC produced just about zero depth behind this group, aside from (checks notes) Nick Gonzales.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad