OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Let the Kids Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The offense has struggled under Hurdle for most of his tenor here. They've changed batting coaches a lot with no effect. At some point, the blame has to fall on the guy that's been around the whole time.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Pirates are a joke
Steelers are a joke and Ben is about to Retire
Penguins are about to decline Sid and Geno are getting old they might still have a 2-3 year window if management makes perfect moves the next year or so or if they don’t they are a fringe playoff team
Pitt hoops is the worst team in ACC history
Pitt football will never compete for a championship in the current setup

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Pirates are a joke
Steelers are a joke and Ben is about to Retire
Penguins are about to decline Sid and Geno are getting old they might still have a 2-3 year window if management makes perfect moves the next year or so or if they don’t they are a fringe playoff team
Pitt hoops is the worst team in ACC history
Pitt football will never compete for a championship in the current setup
Ben Roethlisberger and Steelers reportedly close to finalizing three-year contract extension

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009

No. The Pirates are usually decent in terms in BA. In 2018, they were tied for 8th in all of MLB but were 20th in runs. This has some to do with their lack of power (25th in MLB in HR) but the Cubs had only 10 more HR last year (22nd in MLB) and managed to finish in the top 10 in runs, so there is definitely more to it. For the record, the Cubs were 13th in SLG%, the Pirates were 16th. They clearly under-performed in runs scored given their batting stats/rankings, and I think Hurdle's management and his approach to hitting w/RISP are largely to blame.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
No. The Pirates are usually decent in terms in BA. In 2018, they were tied for 8th in all of MLB but were 20th in runs. This has some to do with their lack of power (25th in MLB in HR) but the Cubs had only 10 more HR last year (22nd in MLB) and managed to finish in the top 10 in runs, so there is definitely more to it. For the record, the Cubs were 13th in SLG%, the Pirates were 16th. They clearly under-performed in runs scored given their batting stats/rankings, and I think Hurdle's management and his approach to hitting w/RISP are largely to blame.
Cubs were 3rd in OBP. Pirates were 17th.

Last edited:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Moran in left again.

I think Hurdle is missing Sean Rodriguez so much that hes trying to turn Moran into Rodriguez by playing him at every position.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Cubs BA: .258
Pirates BA: .254

Cubs walks: 509
Pirates walks: 436
According to BB-reference:

Cubs walks : 576
Pirates walks : 474

Plus HBP...

Cubs : 78
Pirates: 59

We can do this all day with different stats. Fact of the matter is the Cubs had more base runners, hit for a slightly higher average, hit for slightly higher power, and scored slightly more runs. Makes sense to me. You can't get on base at an average clip, hit for average power, and expect to score above average runs.

Reactions: Winger for Hire

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The point I made to begin with was that the Pirates didn't score an average amount of runs (they under-performed, placing 22 out of 30) in spite of hitting about the same BA and a similar number of HR as the Cubs, who finished in the Top 10 in the league in runs. The idea that it's Nutting's fault they didn't score is simply not supported by the facts. There is more going on and, IMO, given this has been common under Hurdle regardless of the hitting coach, it lands on the manager.

I honestly don't think you know what you're talking about at all and just want to blame the owner.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I honestly don't think you know what you're talking about at all and just want to blame the manager.

The Cubs had a higher AVG, OBP, SLG, and OPS because they have better players. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why they scored more runs.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I honestly don't think you know what you're talking about at all and just want to blame the manager.

The Cubs had a higher AVG, OBP, SLG, and OPS because they have better players. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why they scored more runs.

A negligibly better BA. They had more walks and HBP but that doesn't explain the run difference.

I'm blaming who deserves to be blamed. The Pirates hit enough to score runs, they just didn't do it when they needed to. That isn't the fault of the owner.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I can be both the manager and owner. Manager for in game stuff and the owner for forcing inferior players onto the squad.

But this is a really idiotic conversation, so I'm going to excuse myself from it.

It can, but it isn't the case. The Pirates as a team hit decently enough.

What's idiotic is trying to blame Nutting for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad